No Founders up here?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by FoamInnovation, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

I moved to the tip of the Olympic Peninsula and have been all over experiencing the amazing beer we have here. However, I have yet to see a single bottle of Founders up here.

Please, please tell me we can get this mastery of brewing up here.

2. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Soon enough you won't be missing it.

3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,381) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Founders is not (yet) distributed in the NW. Every once in a while the odd keg will show up for a special event (there was a lot of Founders stuff floating around PDX during CBC), but that's about it.

I think they just started distributing in California this past year, so it sounds as if they're slowly getting around to Oregon and Washington.

I'm a big fan of Founders stuff as well, but to be honest, as fsck suggested, I really don't seem to miss their stuff all that much, given what's available here in the NW.

Having lived on both coasts for an extended period of time, my experience is this:

"NW beer will get you through periods of no Founders much more easily then Founders will get you through periods of no NW beer."

4. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,047) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Nice reference. And accurate too.

5. osubeav2003

osubeav2003 Initiate (136) Nov 12, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I would agree, don't need their hoppy offerings. However, would like access to porters, stouts, etc.

FoamInnovation and kemoarps like this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,238) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

I wouldn't mind Nemesis showing it's head. Not enough places making Wheatwines.

7. NWer

NWer Crusader (776) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I love Founders offerings but I recently passed on most knowing if I brought too much Midwest beer back I'd be too busy drinking it missing out on great local stuff. Nice change but that's all.

kemoarps, beertunes and ballardbeer like this.
  8. grainbillxs

grainbillxs Initiate (102) Dec 22, 2004 Washington

When I'm traveling and jonesing for a Reuben's Robust Porter (out of Seattle), Founders porter is a decent substitute.

kemoarps likes this.
  9. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

I would not complain if I could regularly keep a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout in my fridge, but their other equivalents of most of their other offerings can be found with ease around here. All Day IPA is a great session ale, but there are like 5 NW options that are just as good or better.

10. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Reuben's also has an awesome breakfast stout but you don't see that around town most of the time let alone in 4 packs so I'll concede shelf coffee stouts.

kemoarps likes this.
  11. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2011 Washington

12. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Aleforme likes this.
  13. Aleforme

Aleforme Aspirant (202) Nov 26, 2008 Washington

Such a tease!

I just want Two Hearted here. My brother in law in Detroit could then stop sending me my regular shipment.

14. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,082) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

No Founders or Bells...or Russian River...no reason to live in the NW.

beertunes and blackcloud like this.
  15. cherche

Trader

I think I like their imperial stout better than Breakfast...both are very, very good though. For all I joke about how NW beer sucks I do think we are lacking a bit on readily available canned/bottled dark beers...when you look at Founders lineup it does sort of put our entire selection to shame...i am struggling to think of anything I really love out here in the Stout/Porter/Imperilal Stout/Imperial Porter category other thank Darkstar, Grandfather Raven, and I just had Barley Browns Breakfast Stout and loved that but those three lose to what Founders alone has IMO...i must be forgetting a couple good ones from up here though...

woemad likes this.
  16. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Not really... well, unless you include things like Suge Nite, BBomb, BA Don Vanuchi, BA Cavatica, etc.. The C&C variation of BBomb was probably about as good as any BA founders stout I've ever had, and I don't say that lightly.

MjBrewhouse likes this.
  17. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Terminal Gravity bottles their Breakfast Porter, which is quite good. Not imperial or a stout so unfair to compare to Founders Breakfast Stout, but I dig it.

18. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,134) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

You gave Obsidian a 4.12, how high are the Founders beers for you?

19. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (1,990) May 1, 2005 Washington

I just moved to the OlyPen after moving to WA two years ago. Still miss having access to Founders, despite the NW brews.

FoamInnovation likes this.
  20. vurt

Society

I do wonder why there aren't more stouts and porters up here. We certainly have the weather for them (present heatwave excepted). That said, here are some bottled/canned Oregon stouts & porters (including seasonals) which I'd say are tasty and easy to find:
    • Base Camp's S'more Stout (with or without the toasted marshmallow garnish they add at their taproom).
    • Laurelwood's Portland Roast Espresso Stout
    • Deschutes Obsidian Stout and Black Butte Porter (both terrific and easy to overlook)
    • Breakside Salted Caramel Stout
    • Caldera Mogli
    • Fort George Cavatica Stout
    • HUB Motherland Imperial Stout
    • Pelican Tsunami Stout
    Does Buoy bottle their Oatmeal Stout? (They should. It's delicious.)

Finally, Block 15's Super Nebula is not easy to get, but I would stack it up against any BA stout in the country.

Aestro, woemad and cherche like this.
  21. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,458) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

I'd love to be able to get Founders Imperial Stout, Founders Porter, Bell's Expedition, and Bell's Black Note here. But mostly because of the format. Seems most good stouts and porters available locally come in 22s, and I'm finally coming around to @beertunes' thinking on those. Would also love to be able to get Two Hearted cans, maybe someday.

As for local alternatives, I had Snoqualmie Steam Train and Founders Porter not too far apart from each other quite a while back and found them to be reasonably equivalent. Black Butte and Obsidian have been mentioned. I've never really gotten what's so great about Founder's Breakfast Stout; good but not that good. A lot of the other ones mentioned in this thread aren't year round, which is kind of the OP's point. Maybe we do need more brown/black shelf beers, but maybe there's just not a market for them for some reason?

woemad, beertunes and sharpski like this.
  22. vurt

Society

Including Founders' Breakfast Stout and Imperial Stout. Same goes for all of Bell's stouts except for Kalamazoo Stout, incidentally.

I'd love to have a good oatmeal stout option available year-round in 12-ounce bottles. (Sounds like it might be time for me to give Ninkasi Oatis another shot?)

woemad likes this.
  23. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,458) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

Oh.
    I've heard good things about Fremont Dark Star, available in 12oz cans. I'll be going on a beer run shortly, optimistically hoping to find a bottle of Holy Mountain The Goat ... think I might break down and finally pick up a Dark Star while I'm out. You know, for the Grateful Dead anniversary. And science.

woemad and sharpski like this.
  24. vurt

Society

Hmmm...I wonder if I can get that in Vancouver. Might be worth a beer run over the river. For science. As one does.

BuckeyeOne and draheim like this.
  25. cherche

Trader

Those are all barrel aged beers. So for founders you can include KBS and CBS to make it fair...Ive never had either but seems like those two are pretty well thought of...and BBomb is a BA Strong Ale, not a stout/porter so you would have to exclude it to make it fair as well...

26. cherche

Trader

I have had and liked all of those except i have not had Smores or Roast Espress Stout and I didnt like Salted Caramel...too sweet for me...but good list for sure!

27. cherche

Trader

Obsidian is a great beer and I almost mentioned it being an amazing year round, readily available beer but I gave Founders Breakfast Stout and Imperial Stout both 4.5 so I rated them both a bit higher.

sharpski likes this.
  28. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (52) Apr 26, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Regular Dark Star occasionally pops up at Vancouver Total Wine. You can check their website to see if it's in stock, cans and/or bombers at times. Real time inventory

29. beertunes

Trader

Sadly, these are only in the hated 22oz format, but Flyers Pacemaker Porter will scratch that itch nicely. Skagit River Trumpeter Stout is a really nice beer, and it ages very well. I've still got a few '09s left and they're very nice indeed. The Boundary Bay Imperial Oatmeal Stout is another 22oz option that doesn't get a ton of attention.

It's not packaged (unless y'all sweet talk me into sending ya a growler) but a beer that has earned it's way into any discussion of PNW Stouts is Wanders Correspondent Stout. Not sure if kegs of that make it out into their distro system, but if you see it, you should try it.

vurt, woemad and sharpski like this.
  30. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,995) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Years ago I really liked Trumpeter when it was briefly showing up in Spokane-area bottleshops. I dropped a few hints to my brother when he was living in Mt.V. that a Christmas or birthday present that included it would be very welcome. These hints were disregarded. Next time I'm at TW, I gotta remember to look for it.

31. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

I would respectfully re-direct the discussion to the Olympic Peninsula specifically, as that is the area I am concerned with. I agree with the above posters that there are a ton of alternatives out there. I have sampled many of these, and consider myself lucky to be in the finest area in the US for beer (sorry folks I have lived in the Midwest and the SW, and although the NE/East Coast has awesome offerings, it isn't the NW).
    If there is Founders on the OlyPen, fantastic, if not, what honestly compares that is available on the OlyPen?
    I realize that this a regional question, but many of folks have lived here that have moved elsewhere.

32. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,134) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

John answered your primary question in post #3, and since nobody was chiming in with peninsula-specific info, think of the other posts as suggestions to look for when you visit bottleshops. Silver City makes good beer, so I'd also suggest any porter/stout offerings from them. It's also possible that nothing will compare to Founders (for you).

FoamInnovation and beertunes like this.
  33. vurt

Society

Yeah, multiple conversational tangents and diversions are kind of a thing in the NW forum. Sorry about that.

34. NWer

NWer Crusader (776) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

You obviously don't know how NW forums operate.

35. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (1,990) May 1, 2005 Washington

I suggest Fremont Dark Star (I keep it in frequent rotation when in season).

36. beertunes

Trader

Too bad you don't know anybody who would send you some. :wink:

woemad likes this.
  37. beertunes

Trader

The Flyers Pacemaker porter should be a shelf beer over there. Silver City's Panther Lake Porter should also be easy to find as well.

See, I can post without straying from the topic. If I have to.

FoamInnovation, sharpski and woemad like this.
  38. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Exactly. I may personally think some of the beers listed above compare to Founder's Porter, KBS, CBS, etc., but that's no guarantee you'll feel the same way.

FoamInnovation and beertunes like this.
  39. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

I don't know if this helps any since it's just a one time solution, but if you're really jonesing for some Founder's, I'll be on Bainbridge Island in a week and will probably be around the peninsula a bit over that next week+. I have 1 KBS, 2 Backwoods, and 2 Imp Stouts sitting around, I'm pretty sure. I think Devil Dancer is actually available at a few places right now too, if you're into that. I could bring a few things up if you wanted to trade some local stuff. Whatever you thought was reasonable.

beertunes likes this.
  40. Robomunky

Robomunky Devotee (400) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Society

They're only really available in 22s but Sound Brewing in Poulsbo is doing some awesome stuff all around. Don't know where you're living in the Peninsula but Poulsbo is over near Kingston. Unfortunately for us stout lovers, there just aren't that many options available in six packs in stores regularly. Alaskan is pretty good. Velvet merlin is excellent but seasonal. Oatis and Cavatica are both good. A few others. Sigh.

woemad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.