No Rules will not be distributed this year

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ypsifly, Feb 6, 2018.

1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (452) May 3, 2016 Illinois

Next year, I'm videotaping the guy, calling in the tip to the appropriate city police that will give me a share of the loot for the tipoff, and laughing my ass of as the guy gets a hit on him from one of the angry pre-payers...

AnchorDrops and Boldbrew like this.
  2. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (218) May 11, 2013 Michigan

What makes this even more hilarious (and sad at the same time) is that the beer itself simply isn't worthy of this level of hype.

Sabtos, ypsifly, Elldawg13 and 5 others like this.
  3. midmichmatt

midmichmatt Initiate (127) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Aren’t you the guy that hates all the Michigan breweries and boycotts them all tho?

4. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (342) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Yes....it’s so “sad” that No Rules has developed a yearly following and fan base.

God forbid some people like something you don’t care for! Jeeze man, what are these people thinking? Getting all excited for an annual BA stout release, what a bunch of losers.

5. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (1,737) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Muley McMuleface.

6. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (377) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I know that we have all been poking fun of this, but I think the general sentiment is that most of us are generally surprised that it is worth the effort for 100-200 people to try to coordinate something like this, instead of just trading for a couple or a few bottles. Seems like the cost (in $ cost) is at least as high doing this, and probably more so in time.

It's not that people don't like this, or can't believe other's can't, it's just that it seems like a lot of effort/work for a beer that is "good" or "great" but not "getting in line overnight" great.

7. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan

Well said. The extremes that people have gone through don’t seem to justify the means. This was a beer that sat on the shelves last year for a cheaper price than the brewery was charging. I’m truly at a loss as to why the extreme efforts were taken in the first place. Congratulations, Perrin. Your brewery only released worked. I didn’t think it would. However, it never occurred to me that someone would want to mule $26,000 worth of beer for a Facebook group either.

Jason1221, GuyFawkes, croush and 2 others like this.
  8. core42

core42 Zealot (508) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that this guy that is muling No Rules has likely had a TON of beers muled for him by people in the group. This is something that group does a lot, obviously this is on a whole other level than what they normally do but he's been on the receiving end many times I'm sure. Add in the facts that he was planning on being there anyways, the money is fronted & he'll get thank you beers & i can understand someone being willing to do it. I would NOT be that guy but I can understand why someone would step up to do it for many people that you've shared beers with & that have helped you out.

9. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (218) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Hyperbole much? I was critical of one brewery that knowingly refused to publicly acknowledge the presence of wild yeast and several batches of BBA stouts released on Black Friday in 2015. I didn't realize this is now a thing of legend?

You said it, I didn't.

10. red94tt

Trader

Is it really all that surprising, though?

100-200 people didn’t coordinate the $25,000 haul.

One person coordinated it with the help of a few of his friends. For the people that wanted bottles from that mule train, they didn’t coordinate anything outside of an electronic transfer of money. Not a lot of effort involved with that. And just to put a different perspective on it, it was more than 100-200 people wanting those bottles. I’m not going to sit around and tally up a total but from what I saw, it looked like significantly more than what you’re guessing as participants.

So, if someone is offering to mule back a yearly favorite brew (at cost)....which by the way, is/was brewery-only this season.....why is it so surprising that so many people on the east side took advantage of the offer? The trade market can be a total pain in the ass these days, of course people 2.5 hours away from Perrin are going to jump at that offer.

I think if Perrin identified this as being distributed this year (in addition to the brewery release), then yes....we would have a whole new level of craziness with that haul. That’s not the case here, though. The brewery-only deal shut out a lot of Michiganders who didn’t/couldn’t make the 160ish mile trek.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  11. red94tt

Trader

I haven’t been on here much lately but good to see you’re still excelling at the grumpy/sarcastic asshole act:wink:

12. red94tt

Trader

GREAT points. There is a lot of helping each other out in that group. This is the same craft beer enthusiast group that raised over $16,000 for Toys for Tots this past Christmas.

I guess from an outsiders point of view, this type of help-your-neighbor-out behavior can be considered “extreme” these days.

Jmorey and PhilBallins like this.
  13. Discopij

Discopij Initiate (20) Nov 28, 2016 Illinois

I am a fan of this beer ... but I will not miss it dearly if I don't come across it this year. This is how I feel about many many very good beers, so the fact that there's even an inkling of a possibility that this beer could command a strong secondary / trading market ... especially one that could drive someone to spend $25,000 upfront ... is mind boggling.

And i would feel this same way if you replaced "No Rules" with dozens of other beers of very good quality.

Lahey and Beer_Economicus like this.
  14. croush

croush Defender (614) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've got a handful of beer friends that I will help out and share beers with when others miss out. That's a far cry from coordinating and distributing 200+ orders while then renting a U-Haul to drive 2+ hours (and I'm assuming lining up much earlier than he would have if he was just getting bottles for himself). Plenty of us help each other out, but if you don't see this as being extreme, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. In the end, it's great they all got the beer they wanted, I suppose?

JakeT469, Lahey, Jason1221 and 5 others like this.
  15. midmichmatt

midmichmatt Initiate (127) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Your reputation precedes you.

16. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (160) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Ferris Muler’s Night & Day Off

Jmorey, Lahey, Sabtos and 6 others like this.
  17. HouseofWortship

How funny would it have been if they looked at the line and then changed the limits?

Beer_Economicus and croush like this.
  18. big789J

big789J Initiate (87) Mar 13, 2014 Illinois

My credit limits aren't that big...

Lahey and Boldbrew like this.
  19. Beer_Economicus

Trader

@red94tt Essentially what @croush said. The fact that this guy might have to distribute more than 200 (300? 400?) orders is crazy to me. There have been very few beers that I would go through this effort for. Given everything we know about the beer, it's hard for me to imagine it being 'worth it' for someone to go through this is what I believe we are all continuing to echo. On that note - it's not just a money transfer. The cost (in terms of time) is the money transfer, the back and forth about when to meet up, when to drop off, etc. And that's just for those that receive the bottles, not for the person dropping it off.

Muling like this is cool. I'm glad to see so many people share such camaraderie and be willing to do this when people take trips, etc. That said, it's a lot of effort. It's a lot more than I think I would ever be willing to go through, especially if I'm not dying to have a particular brew. I understand that if I do this for the group, and then everyone takes their turn, everyone is 'equal' in that sense. But it's too much work for me, and as a result, I would not want someone else to go through that.

So, add to all of this the fact that it is for a beer that isn't earth shattering (I find it hard to believe everyone in this group thinks it is), and it's not a limited brew, it's hard I think for most of us to accept that the amount of aggregate effort that went into a stunt like this could ever be worth it given the beer, past availability, etc.

No one meant any disrespect. (Cue the guy that says 'I did.')

Lahey and croush like this.
  20. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Poo-Bah (1,715) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Premium Trader

I knew I should have come back to this thread sooner!

Full disclosure: I ordered a single bottle from the Supermule. No idea what other peoples' orders were like, but I'm pretty sure there were a fair number of small orders like mine, so I'd hazard a guess that the number of people is way more than 200. It was worth it to me because--taking Perrin at their word*--it wasn't going to be distributed at all and I like the beer well enough to have a bottle, and with this guy taking orders, it was really a minimal level of effort on my part. Place order, send compensation, go grab bottle. At least as easy as hunting around town for a bottle of something.

As far as whether it was "worth it" to the guy in question? Honestly, since he had already been muling orders back over to the East side for a couple years prior, I suspect that he viewed the change in logistics as kind of a challenge: like how ridiculous can we get this thing? And is the lengths he went to really that much more ridiculous than the lengths people go to for rare bottles? We all read the Binny's Black Friday 2017 thread, right? Is it just a matter of that being "worth it" because of the bottles at stake, while it's not "worth it" for No Rules because it's not as good or as highly sought?

*also, if Supermule's haul was really 22% of total production, then I'm calling bullshit on some part of Perrin's story. Because that equates to ~7,000 bottles total. And it doesn't seem possible that Perrin could have made more than last year and only produced 7,000 bottles worth. I suspect out-of-state accounts will be getting No Rules again and of course we'll probably see the holiday packs as well. And boy, if Perrin thought people were mad last year after waiting in line at the brewery and seeing it on store shelves, just wait until the people who were supposedly told that No Rules was sold out start seeing evidence of the bottles in distribution.

BaseballNBeer, beerhan, Lahey and 3 others like this.
  21. Jason1221

Jason1221 Disciple (399) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Can we just go back to...limits are good for the purpose of sharing the release by those willing to put the effort in to get the beer.

Brewery releases = good. Letting one person buy it all up just makes for frustrated customers.Is the PR bump really better than all the people that are now upset that can't drive over to grab a bottle or two? I would say you lost more customers than you gained by this.

Bbear, Elldawg13, Tracker83 and 3 others like this.
  22. nachos

nachos Initiate (104) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan

Didn't you read, they all contributed to Toys for Tots! How dare you! :wink:

ajcuster89, Jason1221 and Boldbrew like this.
  23. the_King

the_King Initiate (69) Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

A single bottle? Seriously? This dude didn't even put a minimum on how much you had to order? Is he distrubting them at his house? Is he going to have 300 different neck beards coming and going all the time? And yes this is more ridiculous than any Black Friday beer story.

24. HouseofWortship

Next year this guy should mortgage his house and buy the entire supply and then command a premium....when you have a chance to corner the market....

25. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Champion (835) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Get your point but it's different. I agree, don't factor in what beer it is. As someone who waited in line about 8 hours to get my Black Friday allotment, there's a huge difference between waiting a long time in line for "Beer A" as opposed to taking $$ and tracking preorders, renting a truck, driving to Perrin, waiting a long time in line for 130 cases of "Beer B", and then doling them out to 500 people.

Now maybe he just didn't care and, like you said, just said "screw it, how big can I make this".

GuyFawkes and Beer_Economicus like this.
  26. croush

croush Defender (614) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think someone would have to pay me a couple hundred bucks just to do the physical act of unloading 130 cases of beer from a U-Haul and into my house or storage (or wherever he's temporarily holding these). As someone who has moved 20+ cases of beer/wine at one time, all I can say is that process really sucks.

27. LambicPentameter

Premium Trader

Ah, so maybe we all *didn't* read that thread. But more to the point, that was just an example--and not even the worst one...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...ry-chair-brewing-illustrates-the-pitfall.html

All I'm saying is that on the grand scheme of ridiculousness, being a mule--even one as over the top as this--isn't really that nuts. At least this guy is doing something to help out the community. Meanwhile, there are people paying homeless people in Florida to get extra pastry stouts.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  28. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I've read this before, and I don't actually think that this compares to the BCBS 2017 Black Friday shit show. Not even kind of. And I still think 300 or more (my number keeps going up based on what we see in this thread) people getting someone to mule and dole out said beers - especially at some people only doing 1pp, is a whole 'nother level. Is it crazy? Perhaps that's the wrong word, but it is far more ridiculous to me.

For reference, the 2017 BCBS line had adults with their children standing in line to ultimately sell their line-ticket. (Ok, children might be far-fetched, but I read at least one account of a -presumably- father doing this with his teenage son). Feels worse to have your son stand in line over-night to sell a spot in line than it does to pay a homeless person to.

29. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (465) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

dude I feel you. 27 cases last time we moved. The next time we move im having a party to drink it all. Moving that down 3 flights of stairs was brutal.

30. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,889) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

How does this happen with something like No Rules, but not Cycle? No Rules was easily available in trades and all over the place on shelves. Cycle is brewery only, and always has been, and is far more hyped, infection shitstorm this TBBW notwithstanding.

Those statements, especially side by side, are rather...curious...

In any case, we're talking about single bottles at AC. Those people endured the same slog as we did, except for something they didn't care about. The only thing I can criticize the few homeless in those lines for is not being fully aware of exactly how valuable the bottles were that they were slinging, as they were often settling for $60, as opposed to $150-$350 others would happily pay.

31. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (527) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

So I know after reading through a bunch of posts that there's probably zero effs given about this, but how's it taste this year? Lol

32. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I saw a trade post that said "Best year yet! Less sweet, more coconut!"

I'm being a bit of a smart ass, because that response is essentially what the complaints that I have read would want corrected. (Coincidence?!) -And, can it be trusted? Hocker's gonna hock. -But, it is a data point.

GuyFawkes and BEERschlitz like this.
  33. the_King

the_King Initiate (69) Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

Helping out the community? We should make this guy citizen of the year for muling a ton of beer. Maybe he can ride on top of the U-haul in the Thanksgiving Day Parade. He needs some sort of award and recognition for his community service.

ajcuster89, GuyFawkes, Drew26 and 2 others like this.
  34. LambicPentameter

Premium Trader

Just in case you missed it, No Rules is supposedly not going to see any distro on shelves this year. So it's ready availability in years past is somewhat irrelevant.

As far as it being easy to trade for... sometimes people would prefer to just pay retail cost for a beer rather than 1) going through the pain in the ass that trades can sometimes be, or 2) give up something that they bought with the intent to consume.

I don't think the hype factor really matters here at all. If this beer were super-hyped, I doubt anyone would be willing to give their time to mule 1,500 bottles of beer across the state for cost.

I guess you're going to have to explain why those statements are curious. The former is a guy voluntarily doing people a favor by getting them access to a beer that won't see distro at cost, hauling it back across the state for them. The latter is literally exploiting a homeless person so that you can have extra bottles that you can flip in the secondary market for $400.

In case it wasn't painfully obvious, my disdain for the goings on at Angry Chair was not directed at the homeless people...

35. LambicPentameter

Premium Trader

It's hilarious that in a thread where so many people openly wondered why someone would go to all this effort that I'm now being mocked for suggesting that the guy was doing people favors.

But hey, sweet hyperbole. That edginess should get you a few extra internet points.

PhilBallins likes this.
  36. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (401) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

How dare you ask such a thing. I say good day to you sir!

37. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Muling to that magnitude feels like a trailer park boys episode. How long before Mr. Lahey (RIP) finds their stash and calls the cops? (some will not get this reference at all. To those, I apologize)

38. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan

How dare you make fun of such a serious subject. Being a mule is serious business. Beer heroes are a true rarity. This man may end up being the mule of the year.

the_King, GuyFawkes and Lahey like this.
  39. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

With the amount he's muling, he may be considered as a distributor soon. Then we'll ALL be calling him the devil (unless he gets those beers delivered the week they're brewed of course)

GuyFawkes likes this.
  40. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (221) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

And the slogan for the next release is born. "No Rules.....Only Mules"