No Sierra Nevada Fall Pack?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by johnnybgood1999, Jul 30, 2017.

1. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,053) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks for the update, I totally get the move and all, there are loads of beer drinkers and you guys need to target all markets not just one. I am happy with my Oktoberfest right now, tasty batch....:grin:

2. dcall384

dcall384 Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

4 beers and can get all the time, oh boy. I love Sierra Nevada, but this is a hard pass for me. The fall pack is the only variety pack I buy every year. Guess I will be buying Sam Adams fall pack this time.:cry:

3. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That is quite unfortunate news @sierranevadabill regarding the lack of a fall variety pack this season. I look forward to that one each year.

matcris and dcall384 like this.
  4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,983) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Yea, count me in the looking forward to the (hopeful) return of the fall pack next year. However, I can't complain too much as I'll just pick up a case of the oktoberfest in place of the fall pack. I will miss drinking Tumbler and Vienna while watching football though ...

matcris and VABA like this.
  5. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (131) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I second this! I would love to see a pack like that become a thing. Ruthless Rye and the Coffee stout are two of my faves and I have never tried the Kolsch or Tumbler because they are never available here.

6. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (123) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Ohhh come on SN..... Tumbler is one of the only brown's I'll buy. Plus no fall IPA, Flipside in particular, or anything.... Hmm seems like I wont be buying anything but Celebration from you guys this year.

7. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (462) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

For those lamenting the loss(es) of this or that SN beer maybe the quote below will help. It's from @sierranevadabill in another thread where he points out the disconnect between the beer geek market (i.e. us [and brewers]) vs the larger market of craft beer drinkers.

8. tzieser

tzieser Champion (854) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

If I had to choose between Glissade or Tumbler getting axed I would kill off Tumbler every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

9. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (508) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

I just saw the SN Oktoberfest for 2017 along with the Victory Golden Monkey Ale (only one month old!) at my local Kroger grocery mix six cooler. Guess what came home with me!!!!!!!!!!

Squire123 likes this.
  10. medb

medb Initiate (115) Aug 27, 2013 California

Is there any info available on the fresh hop pack due for release later this year?

11. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (53) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

@sierranevadabill

I understand the reasoning behind the Drinking Buddies variety pack but my question would be, why can't both variety packs be released?

I'm sure coordinating and packaging two fall variety packs on a large scale is difficult and could be the reason why the fall variety pack isn't being released. However, I wonder if the sales for the fall pack were slipping recently.

12. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (183) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I don't really think the people interested in this drinking buddies pack full of pale ale and IPAs is going to be the target market for a fall variety pack and vice versa. Looks like they are servicing the casual or big box shopper. The rest of us will have to shop elsewhere. I'm as big of a SN fan as anyone else here but more and more recently I'm realizing I'm probably not their ideal customer. Of course I'll buy tons of Oktoberfest if we get it in NY but as for variety, other breweries have been more interesting to me for some time.

13. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (153) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Been busy and missed this thread. Some of the comments on the thread I started makes sense now. A few points I'd like to clarify here.
    Agree with a lot of you about the Fall pack not being out. Trust me, I'm not new to Craft and I'm certainly not new to beer, my liver will attest this.
    I'm ready for Brown ales and stouts as well, if SN is tapping a market and cutting out seasonals, well, I guess I'm not as enthusiastic about the Drinking Buddies. The point of my post in the other thread was that in my area, to find all four of those beers without having to travel to multiple retailers is a bonus.Most nights I'll have a higher ABV like Torpedo and follow with something like a Sidecar or PA. I don't know, maybe I can justify four -five beers in a sitting if each is "different".
    So yes, I'm a fan of the Drinking Buddies, and I hope from a logistical standpoint ( 25 minute drive to get SN)but not at the expense of losing a seasonal.
    To get ANY Sierra Nevada other than PA or Torpedo I usually have to drive to a beer store 45 minutes away which only sells singles at a ridiculous markup and usually dust covered. So to find a variety at that price close to home is a big deal.
    To close, I can't wait for Celebration, and start selling PA and Torpedo in 30 pack cans please.

14. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Zealot (506) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan

Lame

15. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (245) Jul 2, 2008 California

Logistically we can't do two bottle variety packs at once. These have to be brewed (of course) but then packaged individually, stored and then repacked by hand. We have armies of workers repacking bottles at the start of each variety pack season.

That said, this looks like a one-time switch. We're planning on releasing Snowpack in October and a new 4-way IPA pack in January.

beermeplz, DonicBoom, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  16. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,962) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Did just that last week -- it was delicious and I need to remember it more often.

Jaycase likes this.
  17. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (53) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Appreciate the reply and the information .

18. FBarber

Glad to hear the snow pack will still be released! Can you tell us what's going to be in it this year?

19. BillManley

I can. This year's pack will be:
    Pale Ale
    Coffee Stout
    Wintertide--A new spiced beer modeled after the Lebkuchen cookie.
    Holiday Haze--An all new IPA.

20. FBarber

Thanks! Looking forward to it! Especially that wintertide beer - lebkuchen are quite tasty.

johnnybgood1999 and Jaycase like this.
  21. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That pack sounds great. Count me in!

johnnybgood1999 and FBarber like this.
  22. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Zealot (506) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan

Now we talkin' my morning disappointment of no fall pack has been resolved

Ranbot and FBarber like this.
  23. WV_Charles_Homebrew

That sounds like a great pack. Will definitely pick that one up for sure!

Benjolovesbeer and FBarber like this.
  24. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (979) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yes would love to see Tumbler as well.

25. stevens_dan

stevens_dan Initiate (125) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Oh man, that Wintertide beer sounds right up my alley. Another "Fezziwig", if you will.

FBarber likes this.
  26. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (204) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

The only two beers that are appealing to me in that winter pack are the Pale Ale and IPA. Normally the IPA wouldn't pique my interest at all if it was from any other brewery but Celebration is one of my favorite beers.

I may just buy a couple of six-packs of the Celebration instead of the Snowpack. I've never liked winter spiced ales and have no clue why Old Fezziwig is so popular. (Although I do love gluhwein and other mulled wines, maybe it's that they're heated up).

27. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (356) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Like many others that have posted before me, I too am also very bummed that there will be no Fall Pack this year. That was by far my favorite mixed pack from Sierra, and honestly, from any brewery period. It was just always such a great mix, and Tumbler and Vienna are delicious. I always look forward to it every year. I don't hate the Drinking Buddies pack lineup, but to me it just feels like a pack that Sierra should offer year round. I would likely pick up a few over the course of the year. I understand why they're doing it, but I wish that they would have chosen a different time to roll it out. Replacing the "Party Pack" would have been a better option in my opinion, as the Drinking Buddies lineup is a better fit for summer than fall if you ask me. Oh well, there's always next year I suppose.

28. riegler

riegler Initiate (147) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I think you just reeled everyone back in! Very intrigued by the Wintertide. I'd also like to add a vote for Coffee Stout to be year round :wink:

Can't wait for this one.

Cheers!

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  29. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Looking forward to the Snowpack as well.

I totally respect their business decision. In a market like this, putting out a pack that the average consumer will look at and say "Oh, Sierra Nevada, those all sound good" vs. a mixed pack with a bunch of goofy stuff should help them be able to produce more of the good stuff for us.

Also, I miss Tumbler and Ruthless Rye, that is all.

30. BillManley

I can't promise anything, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet both Flipside and Ruthless will reappear in 2018 in some form or another.

31. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (271) Aug 3, 2015 New York

For what it's worth the last couple of Fall Packs from Sierra were a disappointment for me. I heartily enjoy seasonal fall beers but Sierras was a bit too sweet for me across the board. I spend much of the fall at hunting camp with friends. We all purchase an assortment of craft beers and honestly I had to "choke down" last years fall pack from Sierra.

32. surfcaster

surfcaster Defender (628) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Supporter Beer Trader

I think you/we ARE part of the plan but agree not this most recent production--but I bet it will be profitable and has a market worth servicing.

Oktoberfest collabs, Celebration, Bigfoot, are this crowd. I still return to the latter two no matter what is out there. I anticipate and enjoy a Celebration this fall as much as any whale dropped on the doorstep.

33. RonaldWilsonReagan

RonaldWilsonReagan Initiate (194) Apr 4, 2015 California

I'm going to vent here a sec. This post could appropriately go here or in the Drinking Buddies thread.

Here's the vent: SN Kellerweis has been supplanted virtually everywhere on the shelves by sixers of Tropical, Sidecar, Otra Vez, and (gasp) Oktoberfest (in July no less) to go alongside standard offerings of Pale Ale and Torpedo.

You search the 12 pack offerings, and they're all the same as the 6 pack offerings now that Tropical and Sidecar are in a mixed 12er ("Drinking Buddies") to go with Pale Ale and Torpedo, which are in their own stand alone 12ers to boot.

In my top 5 all time beers is Kellerweis so it saddens me to not find it anymore. Nothing against sidecar and Tropical and Otra Vez (they're all fine beers) but there seems to be a lack of variety being widely offered up by SN. Give me back my Kellerweis and no one gets hurt.

ESHBG likes this.
  34. matcris

matcris Savant (986) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

I don't think SN makes a bad beer. I just wished they catered more to me. Me, me, ME!! :stuck_out_tongue:

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  35. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (69) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

No Kolsch this year, now no Fall Pack.......?

Disappointed.

ecpho likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,060) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I am with you here!!

Maybe 2018?

Cheers!

37. WV_Charles_Homebrew

I feel for ya. Kellerweis is so rare here that I have never actually tried it. At least Otra Vez is a damn good beer--its become one of my favorite SN offerings. Tropical and Sidecar don't interest me. They're not bad (I've tried both), but they are not anything I am anxious to have again. I saw the Drinking Buddies pack in Kroger the other day, and picked up a 12 pack of Oktoberfest instead.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.