No style's left to taste?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wordemupg, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

Well it took well over 5 years of hunting but today I finally finished my style quest on BA, 104/104.
    One of my local breweries here in Calgary decided to brew a Sahti, my personal style whale just beached itself on my doorstep!!
    So I gotta ask how many of you have completed the style quest?
    If your going for it what are you missing?
    And has anyone ever just lucked out finding that elusive one that always seemed just out of reach?

2. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

What about substyles?

russpowell likes this.
  3. wordemupg

Society Trader

Dang ya got me, see ya in another 5 years:wink:

4. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

Go find a Kentucky Common and a Dampfbier. That ought to keep you busy for another couple weeks. After that... well, you're on your own.

TongoRad likes this.
  5. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

That is one quest I have yet to undertake, and don't plan to anytime soon.

6. Phocion

Also, a Sahti is your last one? Not that it's an extremely common beer, but I've stumbled across several Sahtis over the years, without seeking them out or trading. I'm missing about 25 myself, and a few of those are things I've had (since I review a very small fraction of the beers I actually drink), but I've never had a Happoshu, Kvass, American Dark Wheat, or a handful of other very rare ones. Or a premixed black & tan... why is that even a thing?

StLeasy likes this.
  7. wordemupg

Society Trader

It was my personal style whale, I'd hope yours is different:wink:
    I'm curious about those BA's who are looking for that last style tic, what is it and where are they? geography I'm sure has lots to do with it.

8. sommersb

sommersb Initiate (0) May 25, 2010 Tennessee

I've reviewed all 104 as well. My difficult ones were Happoshu, English Pale Mild, Roggenbier, and American Dark Wheat.

Had to trade for 3 of those; the mild was graciously acquired by my brother on a trip to the UK.

9. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,798) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Or an erntebier, doppelmalz, and tmavy.

wordemupg, your accomplishment is very cool, but don't make the mistake of thinking that there are "no styles left to taste" just because you've tried something from all of the BeerAdvocate boxes. You're on a never-ending quest!

StLeasy, TongoRad and Phocion like this.
  10. Phocion

Or a Pennsylvania Swankey or a Broyhan...

I think now we're just reinforcing each other's points.

greg__h likes this.
  11. sommersb

sommersb Initiate (0) May 25, 2010 Tennessee

12. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (5,449) Feb 26, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

13. flagmantho

flagmantho Poo-Bah (7,135) Feb 19, 2009 Washington
    Society

Got all 104 -- I felt pretty lucky to stumble upon a Happoshu at a local shop. Once upon a time Gose was a hard get but they're all over the place now, it seems like.

14. Phocion

Kölsch used to be a rare find.

15. cyrushire

cyrushire Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

I figure eventually cigar city will do them all so as long as i keep drinking all i can get from them…

velcrogrip likes this.
  16. marquis

marquis Champion (825) Nov 20, 2005 England

It still is because it can only be brewed by a handful of brewers in Koln.Most beers sold as Kolsch are mislabelled.

17. Phocion

If we want to split hairs, Sünner Kölsch is quite easy to find today in the U.S., but I know what you mean and you are technically correct. However, Americans (being American) ignore most European origin designations so there are a considerable amount of Kölsch-style ales on the market today.

18. marquis

The problem with this , apart from the misuse of the name is that brewers take liberties with the style. The Kolsch Convention clearly lays down specifications regarding such things as strength, IBU, that it must be filtered and be brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot. I've seen references to such things as Raspberry Kolsch which makes as much sense as a tall midget.By the way, I quote the BJCP ;
    "Germans think of ale as a type of English beer, and lager as a method of conditioning beer. So Germans would
    typically speak of Kölsch as a top fermenting lager beer, not an ale."

ONovoMexicano and Modernrickk like this.
  19. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Can you point out some examples? I ask because the majority of "Kolsch" beers I see that are brewed outside of Koln will say that their brew is a Kolsch STYLE beer, and that it is their take on the brews that are being brewed in Koln.

20. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (600) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Ever had a Dutch style Oud Bruin? Or a Tmave Vycepni Pivo or Polotmave Specialni Pivo?

TongoRad likes this.
  21. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Bookmarking and watching this thread (this kind of stuff makes me want to homebrew).

Unusual Styles (8): Purl, Steinbeir, and Grodziskie/Gratzer (only ones not expressly listed here on BA)
    5 Strange Brews
    A relevant BA thread on obscure styles

Luckily, I've had a Kentucky Common (from Local Option), the most authentic Groziskie in the BA compendium (according to @patto1ro in the above BA thread). I've had this Smoked Berliner Weisse (from Freigeist). Finally, there was this Grissete (De La Senne/Blue Jacket collaboration). I swear I've had a Lichtenhainer, but can't think of what it would have been.

^^^ This is probably my favorite thing about Max's and their selection/festivals. Also, they have great descriptions for beers, from like 3 words to a short sentence, but they are all great and will make the most obscure and ridiculous beer sound appetizing and be a must have. @DrBier (glad to see you got an icon) and @CaptFrothy can back me up on this. I need to scan in some recent paper tap lists from them.

Looking at most/all of these beers' pages, makes me wish it was easier to add Notes to beers (wish we could add them when we add the actual beer) and that more beers had Notes.

22. nebuchadnezzer

nebuchadnezzer Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 California

Well... I just made a heavily-peated true gruit/purl, and I'm pretty sure no one else is dumb enough to make something like this. It reeks and it's as bitter as a iiipa, yet with no hop taste. Also, the recipe is mostly a secret because I forgot what herbs just happened to be around when I made it.

Remind me later to make a small batch of black gueze with ghost peppers--just for the hell of it

mfnmbvp likes this.
  23. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,427) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Got all 104 without trading, luckily I was doing some business travel at the time - the hardest one for me was Happoshu which I found at a Sushi place in Brooklyn.

Modernrickk likes this.
  24. marquis

I've no experience to work from, but I've seen descriptions on this site and elsewhere of beers sold which do not fit the Kolsch profile.I've already mentioned the raspberry Kolsch
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/106759/

Definition:
    Kölsch beer is a top-fermenting lager from the area surrounding Cologne, Germany. It is made with barley malt, hops, water and (ale) yeast and brewed at 14 - 15°C (58 - 60°F), cooler than other top fermenters which are brewed at 20°C (68°F). The name "Kölsch" is a European Union protected geographical indication. Within the EU, only certain areas may label their beer with this name. Outside of the EU, however, the name is used to indicate the certain style.

The ingredients for Kölsch follow the German Beer Purity Law which allows only malted grain, yeast, hops and water as ingredients

After initial mash and fermentation of about three days, it is aged or ripened at a cooler temperature. This slows the growth of yeast and steers their metabolites. Two to three weeks at 0 - 1°C (32 to 34°F) creates slightly sweet or fruity notes, considered integral to the style.

25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,999) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.

26. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I've only had 79 styles and I doubt it will go much beyond that. Personally, I'm trying to drink a beer from all 50 states. I'm only at 25 :slight_frown: I guess that's what I get for living in Kansas.

27. TongoRad

Society Trader

Exactly! Venture forth and explore; there's always something else around the corner that you never knew about.

One thing I've learned from Ron Pattinson's posts (patto1ro) or blog (shut up about Barclay Perkins) is just how many different types of beer there are that don't get talked about, but are second nature to the locals who enjoy them. It seems like a futile effort to just list them all, much less try them.

To quote Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee: "we may be fighting a losing battle, but having a lot of fun trying to win."

herrburgess and zid like this.
  28. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Currently on the quest ourselves. Still need about 10, and have most of those in the cellar, but two elusive ones are the Kvass and Hopposhu.

New Belgium's newest Lips of Faith series beer is a collab with Three Floyds in the style of the Grätzer (smoked Polish wheat-esque beer), so that could something new for you to track down.

29. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Just looked and I am at 100. Not sure which ones I'm missing but I know Happoshu is one. I don't think you should be discouraged by ticking all the styles. There is so much variation within the styles themselves to keep things fresh and interesting. Had you come here and said you had tried every beer listed on BA, then I might have felt bad for you:wink: Let me know when that happens and I will quit drinking.

StLeasy likes this.
  30. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

I am currently at 65...ive got work to do

31. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Can you wait a few minutes? There should be a new one come along soon.

32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,304) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Fullsteam brews a Common, but I can't remember the proprietary name.

33. TongoRad

Society Trader

Ha! I guess there's that, too (in addition to all of the more obscure ones).

34. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,907) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Was the Kentucky Common tart/sour? I had some recently that were from Louisville, and those were not sour at all. The sour thing is another myth. There has been some primary research done from old Brewery logs, and the mash schedule was not a sour mash.

35. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,460) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I've had 70 styles, but not being a ticker (nor on a quest) and looking at those that remain, it's going to need to be somewhat serendipitous for me to get to most of the remaining styles. Some are around, sure, but aren't particularly motivating to me (at the moment), so we'll see...

Congrats! So what's next? :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Did you have...
    1 from each state?
    All the (current) Beers of Fame?
    All the (current) top 250 beers?

Cheers!

36. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,879) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

you're* styles*

37. zid

Society Trader

With contract brewing and related activities, how do you count a beer that was brewed in one state but branded with a brewery from another state?

38. zid

Society Trader

Two of each style. :wink:

MikeWard, TongoRad and herrburgess like this.
  39. zid

Society Trader

Freigeist Abraxxxas?

40. TheChiefBrews

TheChiefBrews Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Georgia

Have you had a politmavy yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.