Noob Keg question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by HuskyinPDX, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Poo-Bah (2,483) Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

2. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (470) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

That is a 3 gallon home brew keg, and that set up is commercially available. You would need to buy a shank, faucet, new length of beer line, and a ball lock coupler.

3. HuskyinPDX

Beer Trader

Ok, I have changed my plan to a wheeled 120 qt cooler. This should hold two 1/6, or one 1/4 commercial keg, with two tap hadles. My questions are: how big of a co2 tank will I need, and would a regular kegerator kit work, or should I order piece by piece?

4. DougC123

Subscriber

How are you going to keep the tops of the kegs cool? 5lb CO2 tank will handle a lot of kegs....my last one lasted for 13 kegs (10 1/6ths, 3 1/4s). As far as a kegerator kit, most of those are designed to be mounted to something - bar top, through a fridge door, etc. What are you mounting the taps to? That will dictate what you need.

5. HuskyinPDX

Beer Trader

6. DougC123

Subscriber

I don't think you could get two logs into the cooler side by side, you may want to buy the cooler first and swing by your beer store and see if there are a couple of empties you could try to fit in. Then buy the hardware. I would just buy pieces, and put them together rather than a kit.

7. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Why the want for a 'real' tap vs a picnic tap? The 'real' taps use a shank which would require (for something visually appealing) something to go through (cooler or fridge wall). I'd save the money and just get a picnic tap and open the cooler top each time i need a fill. Quality wise, there is no difference.

8. DougC123

Subscriber

In a cooler with no ice, trying to serve 5 gallons of beer by opening the door would likely warm up the keg. I question whether even without opening the door this would work.

9. HuskyinPDX

Beer Trader

Faucets would look cooler, plus you wouldn't have to open the cooler. I imagine the ice will melt, plus having the cooler on its end could be problematic when open the lid.

10. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 Texas

11. DougC123

Subscriber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.