North Conway

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Jcorn, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (395) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Heading up this weekend. Any good beers I should pick up? What's the best beer store? Already gonna be looking for the Great North IPA.

2. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Grab some Moat Mountain. Iron Mike's Pale is a solid beer.

AirBob and FrankLloydMike like this.
  3. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (182) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm liking some of the From The Barrel hoppy beers. Kelsen's brown ale and porter are outstanding.

4. blynchus

blynchus Disciple (324) Jul 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Closest beer store in that area is The good beer store in Fryeberg ME

5. blynchus

blynchus Disciple (324) Jul 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Also check out Hobbs tavern in Ossipee. Good food and good beer

6. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (825) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

On your way up go to HF, only 2 hours from North Conway. I did this recently on my way to North Conway and it was a great idea.

But as others have said, Moat Mountain makes some decent stuff, I dig the Czech Pils. Also a really cool place to hang out with some solid food. There's a small store right down the road that sells beer called the Vista Country Store. Was a bit overpriced, but they had some solid craft stuff, check dates though.

Also, if you're going through Portsmouth, hit Deciduous in Newmarket. Dave is doing some really cool stuff.

7. Jcorn

Trader

No opportunities to hit breweries or beer bars. I'll have the family with me. But vista looks promising. Went to moat a few years ago but that was before my "craft awakening." Do they can/bottle?

8. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (104) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

The Good Beer Store closed, unfortunately.

9. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

They can several beers, I like the Pils best

10. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (642) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

I tried to tell my wife HF was on the way to North Conway once...she finally spoke to me again the following week. Sliiightly out of the way.

11. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (165) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

Good Beer Store moved to Rt 302, the road from Portland to Lovell (meaning Ebenezers, DO NOT MISS Ebenezers!)

I can recommend Vista Country Store for good beer, too.

Tuckermans is a must, too, great tour (best in NH) great beer, great people.

OffHeGoes and bittym87 like this.
  12. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (165) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

Two Hours if you don't get lost.

Trust me, you'll get lost. And there are no D&D or gas stations or anything. Not that Shaun isn't worth the trip, he is, but have no illusions.

13. RedEcho

RedEcho Initiate (77) Oct 23, 2012 Massachusetts

I'll take a slightly different approach...

HF? Totally world class. If you won't see New England again for a few years maybe you drive up. Otherwise shelve it for the "where to go in Vermont" trip.

Echoing Moat. Solid operation. In Conway.

I like Woodstock Inn. Good eats, too.

The "reach" destination is closer than HF but not by tons: Schilling. Top shelf operation in NH. It doesn't get all the tourist love that some of the vermont beer gets but punches over its own weight.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  14. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (158) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hahahahaha

15. Jcorn

Trader

I live in Boston. I'll make it to HF at some point. Just not this weekend.

16. Jcorn

Trader

Really just looking for beers I can grab at a beer store there.

17. Mikecap

Trader

It made the trip 6 hours instead of 4, so for me, it made sense since I was going up anyway haha

18. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

OP - FYI Woodstock Inn is about 2.5 hours from North Conway.

19. RedEcho

RedEcho Initiate (77) Oct 23, 2012 Massachusetts

Google maps is telling me 1hr, 9 minutes.

Not that there couldn't be traffic or snow or bears in the road or anything of course...

20. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (670) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I dig the Moat Mountain Pils. Definitely canned & avail @ package stores.

The brewpub is worth a visit for a meal IMO. I've enjoyed their 'cue on a few occasions.

jlordi12 likes this.
  21. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Initiate (180) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Grab some Stoneface IPA. Tuckerman Headwall Alt is nice too.
    I second or third MOAT, great place for some apps if you are looking to eat. They can a few beers, Pils and Iron Mike.

22. dumpman

dumpman Initiate (94) Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island

Not if you are going to canada.

23. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (287) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

My favorite part about most beer advocate "suggestions" threads is how quickly they devolve into someone suggesting a four-hour detour.

"Gonna be at Foxwoods this weekend! Any advice?" "Right up the road is Tree House. Worth the detour!"

"Heading to Manchester, NH for a wedding." "Hill Farmstead just two hours away!"

"Family vacation to Hampton Beach!" "You gotta hit up Bissell Bros and Foundation. Maybe even Marshall Wharf. If you have time, swing by Deciduous. I bet you're family would be thrilled with a day trip to Armsby Abbye!"

24. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (670) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

10 years ago a "trip to Boston" query was met with suggestions to hit:

Store: Julio's in Westboro
    Bar: Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME
    Brewery: Portsmouth (Todd Mott/Kate the Great hysteria era)

Well, I guess things are the same, only the places have changed. But not the excessive travel!

OffHeGoes likes this.
  25. Mikecap

Trader

Haha I was mostly kidding about HF, and I also made North Conway suggestions. To me, it was worth it to get up a bit early to hit HF en route to North Conway, but that obviously doesn't work for everyone traveling with others. Doesn't hurt to mention it though.

26. Jcorn

Trader

Got a good chuckle out of this.

Just looking for some local-ish beers I could keep in the hotel room. Anytime I'm leaving the area I try to find out any hidden gems in the area I'm going & seek them out. I can get Stoneface (IPA & APA anyway) in Boston, & I have, & it is very good. Definitely want to try Great North IPA & the Moat Mtn beers look pretty good too. I won't be going on many excursions away from the hotel room other than a beer store or 2. This is "family-time" & the family (especially my 2 year old) is not THAT into craft beer. Their loss right?

27. DrinkingIPA

DrinkingIPA Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 Massachusetts

Cider House. Fantastic food and great beers on draft. Usually a great IPA/IPL on draft.

28. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2010 Florida

Discount Beverage near the Shaws/Walmart is always a hidden gem for me. Couple years ago found a ton of Backwoods Bastard and Lunch there. Not sure what the selection is now.
    Glen Beverage is right outside of Conway heading north to Jackson, you can usually uncover (dust off) a few bottles there you dont see in Mass.
    Ill once again echo both Tuckermans and Moat Mountain. I always eat at Moat myself, great food and beers.

29. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,058) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

The new Sea Dog pub has pretty good food. The beer from Sea Dog is meh, but nice place. Flatbreads also usually has a few good beer options.

Both are great family environments.

30. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Second Glen Beverage. Last time there, couple years, Backwoods 4 packs on the shelf, Bolt Cutter on the counter. Worth a look.

31. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (642) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

I third the Tuckermans and Moat Mountain suggestions.

The Sea Dog pubs always have a nice feel and the food is solid, but then I have the first sip of my beer and remember why I go so rarely.

OffHeGoes likes this.
  32. blackngold41

blackngold41 Initiate (59) Jun 15, 2012 Connecticut

Moat Mountain is a must! The beer is very solid but the food is even better. We ordered a rack of ribs and a plate of brisket nachos. Fucking amazing.

jlordi12 likes this.
  33. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Those nachos are ridic, great call

MyIronLung likes this.
  34. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Massachusetts

Hit up Flatbreads in downtown N Conway. Great pizza, good beer, comfy couches to chill back and relax.

35. bitterliving

bitterliving Initiate (0) May 5, 2009 New Hampshire

Vistas a good beer stop. Great selection. Discount has good prices. Good beer store has moved but still in fryeburg. Schilling is a good stop if you want to take 93 home . Great beer, growlers, pizza!
    HF in hardwick takes me 1-15 from glen ( 40 mins from Littleton)

36. Jcorn

Trader

Had the most iron mike, meh. Picked up a sixer of great north IPA at vista. Vista is a legit little beer store.

37. bittym87

bittym87 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Interesting. Iron Mike from the source I've always been impressed with. My one experience with Great North IPA so far was decidedly meh. Their vanilla porter is good though.

38. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (446) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

New breweries in Bristol, NH (Shacketts) and Wolfeboro NH (Lone Wolf) both have good brews. Avoid Sea Dog.

39. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (318) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Really, your best bet is to just buy beers in Mass and bring them with you. Our selection sucks compared to yours.

40. Jcorn

Trader

Yeah but that's no fun. Wound up just hitting Vista Country Store, which was a pretty decent little beer store. Only tried 2 local beers though. The Great North IPA, which I really liked, & the MM Iron Mike's Pale Ale, which was so-so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.