Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

NorthCal Beer Trip

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Chazz4jazz, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazz4jazz

Chazz4jazz Jul 16, 2013 California

I'm planing road trip throughout North Cal this month (July 2013).

I pan to drive to Chico (Sierra Nevada), then continue to Eureka (Lost Coast), Forth Brag (North Coast), Boonville (Anderson Valley), Santa Rosa (Russian River) and conclude my trip in Petaluma (Langunitas).

Looking for tips, advice, recommendations... Anything I can't miss or must do?

Thanks for your help!

2. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

Sounds like a really fun trip. You're pretty much hitting all the bigger craft breweries in NorCal. Some great scenery too. I'm a huge fan of the North Coast (Erueka, Ft. Bragg, etc.) in general. If you like outdoor activities mixed in with your beer drinking there are a lot of options on this route.
    rrryanc and flexabull like this.
  3. impending

impending Mar 12, 2010 California

if you like to drive
    most of your trip will be in the middle of beautiful nowhere
    especially the North Coast to Russian River leg (someone will tell you to stop in Healdsburg)
    hit Anderson Valley as you head to North Coast so you can stay on the coast for NC>RR
    spectacular, world class

ps: don't drink & drive : )
  4. danscott

danscott Jul 15, 2006 California

Healdsburg is a fantastic restaurant town, bring $$$. Do Bear Republic, too.

Check calendars for these towns, they have a lot of events this time of year. Festivals, etc.
  5. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

On the coast, I'd check out Mad River and Redwood Curtain. Lost Coast is usually crowded and a place I skip. Eel River is a good stop when you head south just out of Eureka in Fortuna.

In Redding, we are getting better places. Maxwells is a nice to place to get a bite and a beer. The Alehouse has 24 taps full of good stuff. And our new brewery Wildcard is a nice place to sample some brews.

Have fun!
    MrFootstones likes this.
  6. jfh

jfh Apr 25, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Oh man, what to do? How much can you do? In Sacramento, Pangaea Lambic bar. New Helvetia and Track 7 Breweries. Up 99 toward Chico is Sutter Buttes brewing in Yuba City. A little bit east of Sac'to is Knee Deep brewing in Lincoln and Loomis Basin brewing in Roseville. Up in Auburn is Auburn Ale House brewery. Moonlighting beer is on tap in Santa Rosa I think the place is called Flavor, on Santa Rosa Ave, between 3rd and 4th. Hydro Grill in Calistoga will have loads of good beers on tap. Down the road from Petaluma is Moylans in Novato followed by Marin Brewing in San Rafael. Once you're in San Rafael, you might as well cross the bridge and hit the Toronado. Or 21st Amendment, or cross another bridge (bay bridge) and hit Triple Rock in Berkeley or go south to Drakes.

7. Chazz4jazz

Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate. cz
  8. Chazz4jazz

9. Chazz4jazz

danscott likes this.
  10. Chazz4jazz

thanks a lot : )
  11. Chazz4jazz

thanks a mil for the tips, I'll use them for sure : )
  12. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

How is the trip going? We'll be out that way in a week ... can't wait!!
  13. Chazz4jazz

had to postpone my trip due to family stuff but I definitely going to make it soon! with all great tips I got I will need to find time to complete it...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!