Nostalgic Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Idea for this thread came from another thread where a poster said Cantillon would always be nostalgic for him from his time he lived in Belgium. I also saw this thread was posted once before, but it's been over a year so... guess I'm having thread nostalgia. :wink:

As expected, I'll start...

Sam Adams Octoberfest: this one takes me back to the first autumn I got into craft, when I would drink a couple of these out of the bottle while cooking brats and watching College Gameday from the kitchen. This was toward the end of my military days, and I really do miss North Carolina. I never drink Sam Adams the rest of the year, but it's a personal tradition to always buy the fall seasonal 12-pack the first time I see it at the store (in July :rolling_eyes:).

Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper/Molson XXX: I suppose this would be the first craft beer I actually ever had, including the Molson for the same memories though. My step-dad used to give me a couple of these when I was 16 while we were watching movies like Braveheart in the basement. The deal was that I had to hide the bottle behind the recliner if I heard my mom coming downstairs.

Sam Adams Old Fezziwig: I'm a bit of a retro video game nerd. I have spent many cold, winter days drinking Old Fezzy and playing Legend of Zelda on NES.

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout: this was the first craft beer I truly loved and fanboyed. Another one that makes me miss North Carolina. Just thinking about it makes me want to get on YouTube and listen to "Wagon Wheel." :sunglasses:

Go, BA!

2. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

La Fin Du Monde always reminds me of being young & in love...

Red Hook ESB always takes me back to a simpler, but dopier time.

BWM-77 and gopens44 like this.
  3. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Icehouse. I drank a ton of it in high school. It was always something like $4 a six pack of 16 oz cans and was higher alcohol than the light beers.

4. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Yuengling Black & Tan: used to drink it when it was called 1/2 & 1/2, 7 oz draft for $0.35.

ceeg, KentT, hophugger and 3 others like this.
  5. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

For various reasons - Stella, Theakstons, Landlord, Brooklyn BCS and Arrogant Bastard

Shroud0fdoom and Jsteez like this.
  6. Himself

Himself Initiate (170) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Haffenreffer Private Stock... the beer I drank as a kid with the puzzles on the underside of the bottle cap.

ceeg, KentT, puboflyons and 2 others like this.
  7. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,037) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Mirror Pond. It's what really got me into "microbrew" in college (2001) and every time I smell it I get a hangover coming on.

tigg924, VictorsValiant and Jsteez like this.
  8. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Skipping school with a couple buddies and a case of Meister Brau...good times

KentT, scottbrew4u and Jsteez like this.
  9. Jsteez

Jsteez Zealot (507) Apr 28, 2012 Utah

There are several beers that drum up feelings of nostalgia. In particular, every summer I have to pick up Uinta's summer pack in Utah because of the Skipping Stone lager and Uinta's Sum'r Ale. These beers are not the greatest beers, but I don't live in Utah year round and I am currently in China for work. Just the mere thought of these beers creates a sense of yearning for home. To have the bright high desert sun on my skin and a cold one in hand is simple, yet complex in its own right.

BeerBob, Benish and lambpasty like this.
  10. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Michelob teardrop bottle; because of my grandfather.

11. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,110) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

Pre-1996 Pilsner Urquell. Most of the other beers I drank during my time in Germany I revisit at least every other year when I go back there. And, yes, they are still as excellent as ever...but Urquell used to be (even) better. :wink:

Zimbo, Thirstygoat and BeerBob like this.
  12. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,295) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Red Hook ESB for me as well since I interchanged it with Pete's Wicked back a long time ago in a galaxy.......

Lowenbrau - it was our "fancy" softball beer.....

Old Raspy - it was the one that reinvigorated my passion for craft after a prolonged whiskey aficionado phase.

13. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (183) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Seven ounce Colt 45 malt liquor. Man we drank an ocean full back in seventies water skiing on off days. Miss my younger days sometimes.

laketang, hopnado, KentT and 2 others like this.
  14. tylerstravis

I did the same... Did you go with Single Malts? I pretty much put craft beer on hold for about 4 years of Pilsners and Islay Single Malts :slight_smile:

15. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (777) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Budweiser.

Back before I was of age, we had gone to Sea World in Orlando which at the time, was still owned by Anheuser Busch. Because of that reason, beer was free at two beer gardens in the park. They had maybe 8-10 different AB products on tap... So my girlfriend being the trooper she was, supplied me with beer quite a bit that day. It was very hot/humid out and the beer was like liquid crack that day... So delicious. Bud ended up getting a soft spot in my heart, as it really started my love for beer.

A year or two later, once I was legal, we did Discover Cove in Orlando which also supplies "free" AB products while you chill out on the white sand beaches after you snorkel around with the fish... Again, so refreshing... I just have many good memories when I taste a fresh bud... I typically get it in Florida (or Blue Moon) still on our trips... I have no hate for the AB products, personally... I am far from a beer snob though, I can appreciate almost any beer... The "piss water" comments are just idiotic, IMO.

BeerBob, dennis3951 and LittleDog like this.
  16. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Aspirant (259) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

Bell's Two Hearted. My first ever IPA. I wish I could feel nostalgic again without having to fly a couple thousand miles to my homeland the Mitten.

hopnado likes this.
  17. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,295) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I initially began hitting bourbon of various qualities particularly hard but moved along to Scotch as a way to "class up" my networking cocktail appearance (I'm really not as douchy as that suggests......) and found that I really enjoyed the taste, as there really is nothing like a nice Scotch. What resulted was a journey through all the lower hanging selections (JW's, Dewars, Glenfiddich, etc.,) until I FINALLY deserved to indulge in something which required a finer tuned palette (IMO) to actually understand Single Malts a bit better. I'd order Macallan or Glenlivet in varying vintages at better bars when I felt like I deserved such an indulgence (as well as dozens of others but my memory is crap...), but was never the type to drop that kind of coin on an entire bottle. Pretty much stuck with Dewars (the Scotch equivalent of Bud Light.....) at the house for a cheap nightcap or hit a finer bourbon since you could dramatically increase the quality in the bourbon you drink for far less than Scotch, again IMO. A bottle of Eagle Rare, which is significantly better than run of the mill Knob Creeks and such is about $40 less than even a nicer bottle of Macallan, and for about the same as the "entry level" Macallan.

I thought I would have really enjoyed the Innis & Gunn beers but most of them come off with a cardboard thing happening. Too bad to. Really wanted to enjoy them more.

lambpasty and tylerstravis like this.
  18. tylerstravis

Nice! I started in a similar place and now have a cabinet of various Lagavulin and Bruichladdich variants I don't touch enough anymore. Cheers!

gopens44 likes this.
  19. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (505) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Not Your Father's Root Beer... mmmm, soda.

20. Retroman40

Retroman40 Crusader (753) Dec 7, 2013 Florida
    Society

Genesee Cream Ale. Even as a non-sophisticated 18 year old (the legal age at the time) there was something about it I liked (and still do from time to time as a non-sophisticated 55 year old). It just brings back great memories of youth.

KentT, tigg924, puboflyons and 6 others like this.
  21. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

McEwans's Scotch or strong/tartan ale. The first real thick beer I had in the 70's.

Edited after seeing above.....Genny Cream also. About the same time as above my friend from Scranton used to bring it down for our enjoyment.

KentT and BeerBob like this.
  22. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Aspirant (232) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock was probably the first beer I deemed absolutely "hunt-worthy." Most people would find that notion laughable these days, but I thought it was an outstanding beer when I tried it a decade ago. There simply was nothing like it, and I had to have more.

I also have a soft spot for Caffrey's Irish Ale, which I drank gallons of while hanging out at The Brick in Milledgeville during my college years back in the late 90s.

I'll also never forget my hunt for Mackeson XXX Stout around the same time after first reading about sweet stouts. It took me forever to track down this beer, but I'll never forget how I felt like a winner.

Ah, those were the days...

23. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,339) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Genny Cream Ale

silverking, KentT, puboflyons and 6 others like this.
  24. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Aspirant (232) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

My girlfriend (now wife) brought me some Red Hook ESB back from a trip out West about 2000 or so. I'll never forget thinking what an "extreme" beer it was at the time.

gopens44 likes this.
  25. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (522) Dec 19, 2006 California

I also have a bit of nostalgia for SA Octoberfest, as that was one of mine and my friends's favorite seasonal beers when we all first got into craft.

BeerBob likes this.
  26. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Coors Extra Gold. I drank it for the first time at my dad's house in Colorado many moons ago, and it has become my camping beer. It's one of those rare deals where it has sentimental meaning but yet it's crap beer, but I actually love it. I live in a city of 400,000 people and there is only only liquor store that sells this, and only in 30 pack cans. I buy one each year. Usually I take it with me to the mountains.

tigg924 and BeerBob like this.
  27. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (522) Dec 19, 2006 California

Old Rasputin holds nostalgic value for me because it was one of the first, if not the first, imperial stouts that really blew me away. I used to drink it all the time; but not so much anymore, for some reason.

BeerBob likes this.
  28. rogerdandy

rogerdandy Aspirant (279) Mar 25, 2011 Alberta (Canada)

Big Rock McNally's Extra was so good in the 90s I'll stand by that. I wish I could have another taste.

29. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (846) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Guinness - One of the first beers I drank regularly. Lots of good times associated with this one.
    MGD - When my broke ass first moved out on my own, it could be had for $12 a 20 pack
    San Miguel - Right out of college I lived in Hong Kong for a few months working and pretty much every night was spent at the bars. Really good times.
    Lagunitas/Sam Adams - The two breweries that provided me with affordable quality beer until I got into the crazy expensive stuff and it was all over.

30. Bolivian22

Bolivian22 Initiate (199) Dec 17, 2012 Virginia

For me its gotta be Golden Monkey. It was the first legal drink I had and I had it with a burger and with friends. Even though its not the best tripel it always holds a high spot in my books just for that reason.

31. GamehendgeBrewingCo

GamehendgeBrewingCo Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Massachusetts

Sam Summer - it was the first craft beer I'd seek out regularly and will always remind me of backyards and underage summertime parties. We thought we were pretty damn cool drinking these between rounds of beer pong.

KentT likes this.
  32. DarthVorador

DarthVorador Disciple (309) Dec 7, 2014 Pennsylvania

Weyerbacher Merry monks (then called just plan "belgium tripel") ale. It was my first experience with craft back in the late 90's, & still to this day one of the best tripels outside of Belgium IMO. :slight_smile:

33. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (608) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - The first time I had this beer - I hated it. I was still in high school and I had just discovered imported beers - long before the craft scene (I think Pete's Wicked Ale and Sam Smith was about it for the States around that time). I would eventually become an avid stout drinker, but the first time I had Guinness - I poured it out.
    Chimay Première (Red) - Believe it or not, I saw this at the grocery store. I think I had just started college at the time. It was the first corked and caged beer I ever saw and thought that it looked 'fancy'. So I bought it. Chimay became my 'special occasion beer' for many years.
    Redhook ESB - Think I started drinking this because of Hate comics. Redhook hit Atlanta soon after I graduated college and moved there. This became my 'Utility Beer' for quite a while.
    Upright Four - I remember the first time I had this one. It was 2010 - right as the boom was starting blow up here... This was the beer that made me realize that Portland had incredible beer and that I had a lot more to learn.

LaneMeyer likes this.
  34. rabbitguy

rabbitguy Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 Illinois

Some real "gems" in the wayback machine Olympia, Red,White, & Blue, Old Milwaukee and other cheap beers in 12oz aluminum cans.-- The beer your could pound down when you're young and could wake up the next morning and feel fine.

puboflyons likes this.
  35. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Devotee (490) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Magic Hat #9 brings me back to the carefree teenage years. Had a friend who loved the beer and even collected the boxes - remember the box of 9's?! Although I haven't had it in many years, my wife will order occasionally and I can reminisce.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  36. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

90 minute IPA moved me into the more expensive stuff. I have since graduated a few more times.

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,179) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I don't order Magic Hat #9 very often but I always enjoy drinking it when I do order one (especially during the summertime). It is a pleasant drinking beer for my palate.

Cheers!

Mkozaka likes this.
  38. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Savant (917) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Wow, I may have been with you! I did the same in high school with "the Beast" in cans.

hopnado likes this.
  39. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Savant (917) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Good times! Not so good beer.

J-Rye and hopnado like this.
  40. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York

Old Milwaukee : reminds me of my first cop of breasts from the neighbor chick down the street. Heck, I was 35 at the time:grimacing:

puboflyons, PorterPro125 and hopnado like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.