Nostalgic Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York

Genesee Cream ale pounders in the thick cardboard case reminds me of skipping school for largemouth bass and northern pike fishing. Heck ,I was 35 at the time:grimacing:

2. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Coors and keystone from the high school days.
    Guinness, Stella and Heineken from what my dad used to drink before he stopped drinking.
    Dogfish 60 minute, porkslap, and #9 some of the first craft beers I ever had

tigg924 likes this.
  3. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Milwaukee's Best was one of our main go to cheap beers along with Busch and natty. Just running around drunk and constantly pissing...I miss it

scottbrew4u and TurkeyFeathers like this.
  4. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

this was certainly the first beer I ever tried. My dad used to get all dick-pumped when he could find them in 'pounders'!!!

PBR is another, as my grandfather always had enough on hand to drown a horse. He would love that I grew up to 'enjoy' it.

KentT and tigg924 like this.
  5. rjniles

rjniles Initiate (97) Aug 30, 2012 South Carolina

Balantine Ale

puboflyons and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,084) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Point Special from the Stevens Point Brewery in WI.

Both my wife and I received our bachelors there as well as my parents. My dad drank at lot of Point Special and often told me stories of the days when he was in the fraternity and would pick up kegs straight from the brewery.

While I was in school, I drank a lot of Point as well - although I never was in a fraternity. But it does bring me back to where I spent most of my time in college.

Redrover likes this.
  7. Foyle

Foyle Savant (927) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

High school/college (early to mid 1980's): Schaeffer and Coors Banquet

my return to beer drinking (mid 1990's): Yuengling, Newkie Brown, Bass Ale

tigg924, cjgiant and J-Rye like this.
  8. J-Rye

J-Rye Initiate (178) Aug 12, 2014 New Jersey

Bass Ale, back when widely available, decent domestics were in short supply. Also, Pabst Blue Ribbon.

KentT, puboflyons and Foyle like this.
  9. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,075) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

For the way back machine...

Anchor Steam
    Dogfish Raison D'etre
    Leffe Blonde

While Raison has been retired and I would go through cases of that stuff, the others are just simple fun brews that I always just keep putting on the back burner with the choices of so much else out there.

Always trying new Anchor stuff, but every time I have the steam beer I always keep telling myself I need to have this more often. :slight_smile:

10. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,004) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Genesee Cream Ale and Utica Club...can you guess where I grew up?:wink:

11. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (159) Feb 19, 2014 California

One of the first craft beers i tried, Stone Arrogant Bastard

12. jzlyo

jzlyo Poo-Bah (1,899) Mar 4, 2012 Iowa

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it was the first craft beer and hoppy beer that I liked. I've drank a ton of 80 Acre over the year and Icehouse also, its what my dad drank.

13. shadyside

shadyside Defender (608) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia
    Society

Schoenling Little Kings, Stroh's and Rolling Rock. Long time ago.

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,877) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Brew 102, Ballantine XXX, Gosser, Toohey's New, Rainier Ale. ..

puboflyons likes this.
  15. Boverhof3

Boverhof3 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2006 Michigan

As a Gen X slacker, Rolling Rock brings memories of when I was young and happening.

Watch the movie REALITY BITES and you'll see what I mean.

Buck89 likes this.
  16. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Ringnes from Norway, Munich Lowenbrau, National Premium, Watney's Red Barrel, Young's Oatmeal Stout, Shepherd Neame Bishop's Finger, and I still love Anchor Steam. Huge memories.

KentT likes this.
  17. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (821) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

Moosehead Light (Moosehead Brewery Saint John, New Brunswick). Drank my fair share of that stuff in high school. I still like to pick up a 12 pack every once in awhile when I'm looking for a cheap, refreshing brew (especially as the weather gets warmer).

tigg924 likes this.
  18. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Stone Arrogant Bastard for me. I drank a ton of both with friends when I was stationed in Pensacola. Good times, and good people.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  19. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard. Also maybe Golden Monkey.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  20. Joshjv

Joshjv Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Michigan

This. I grew up spending time on a lake in WI. Point was readily available, cheap, and you could drink it all day on the lake and still be functional!
    Nowadays, I don't drink Point. But I do still use a handful of their old heavy duty cases to store my homebrew.. best beer boxes ever! I've used an empty one as a step stool before..

Benish likes this.
  21. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (4,945) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire

I went to college in Northern Vermont in the 1970's. We used to do beer runs to Canada to pick up Molson Brador. We'd buy cases of it to bring back. It was available in the USA briefly in the 1980's.

22. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Deuchars IPA -- champion beer of Britain -- via many busines trips to Edinburgh early 2000s-- showed me that a cask ale could be super crisp/bright and bursting w hops....reminds me of the Blue Blazer and the Oxford Bar and the Guildford--- and late nights at Whistle Binkies. .

herrburgess likes this.
  23. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

Rewind to 1978-1980ish- Rolling Rock, Old German, Little Kings, Stoneys and Mickey's Malt Liquor in the grenade bottles with the pull top designed by Satan himself-I still have a scar on my left thumb as a visual reminder of a misspent youth.

Buck89 likes this.
  24. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,111) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

I hung out at the Oxford Bar while visiting/working in Edinburgh in the late 90s. Did they serve Deuchars, too? I certainly drank enough of the stuff at Bannermans, The Abbey, and The Pear Tree. Ended up meeting my (German) wife there...getting nostalgic myself now. Cheers!

25. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,156) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts

JW Dundee Honey Brown reminds me of college in upstate New York. Other beers like Mammoth Hefe and Moose Drool remind me of various national parks camping trips.

26. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Cheers dude -- great story. EDI is a special place -- and such an amazing beer destination. Tons of old world pubs with a rapidly growing craft beer scene with places like the Stockbridge Tap and Hanging Bat serving up a new brand of Americanized hoppy beers (although don't try to tell that to the locals...many of whom would swear Citra hops are grown in the UK). Also -- greatest crawl ever starts w a hike up Arthur's Seat and down into Duddingston for a pint at the Sheep's Heid. Must get back every few years....

BeerBob likes this.
  27. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (1,989) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia

Great !..I drank enough Meisterbrau in college to fill a reservoir. This was 1986 and I think I was paying less than $4 a 12 pack then, Cheers !!!

BeerBob and hopnado like this.
  28. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,949) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Sam Adams for me. My college splurge in the late 80's.

In contrast, Mickey's Big Mouth provokes nausea from 12th grade...

BeerBob likes this.
  29. hopnado

my brau drinking days were in the early/mid nineties and I think a case was about $13 which is pretty good for Michigan. Hard to believe it only scores a 47 on BA...lol. Hopefully this beer gets resurrected someday

hophugger and BeerBob like this.
  30. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (183) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Sorry folks, I have to say sumpin' else. As for the first quote, when I was in early high school some one bragged about their stash, Smirnoff grape vodka. Left school walking, found their stash, stole it and drank it. Got caught by my mother next morning. Hung over and couldn't make school.
    As for the second, we would go o a local bootlegger and get beer for $3 a sixer, $3 for a quart, and $3 for MD 20/20. Good times for a teen during '60's, but jeeze a meeze that wine was some bad crap. Head pounder. "Remember"

BeerBob likes this.
  31. KentT

KentT Aspirant (205) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Sterling and Meister Brau were the wonders of misspent adulthood, LowenBrau and Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Stock Ale warmed this gimpy, leaky Stereo enthusiast's days, relaxed him, and kept the kidneys working.

BeerBob and hopnado like this.
  32. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I remember when I was a wee lad drinking Ole Pure
    [​IMG]

33. FalconCount

FalconCount Initiate (149) Sep 1, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Live Oak Brewing. To be more specific, Big Bark and the Hefe. I still love going back to Crown and Anchor right next to UT to get a pitcher.

34. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,214) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Busch pounders remind me of high school.
    Crazy Horse and Colt 45 remind me of embarrassing myself.
    Paulaner Salvator and Spaten Optimator remind me of when I started to "get it."
    Sammy Smith Taddy Porter, Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout remind me of college.
    So does Magic Hat #9 and Fat Angel.
    Guinness reminds of going to bars/pubs in my 20s.
    Olde English reminds me of punk/hardcore music.
    Founders Breakfast Stout reminds me of my first real "wow" moment once I did "get it."

The rest of it is all a result of this.

BeerBob likes this.
  35. BeerBob

BeerBob Savant (914) May 30, 2002 Nebraska
    Society

The sad part of this is MD 20/20 is no longer 20/20... more like 16/16 or less... Boo!

36. hopnado

PBR also brings back good memories. My dads beer of choice in Vietnam.

ivorycannon likes this.
  37. BecauseWhalezbro

BecauseWhalezbro Aspirant (296) Apr 22, 2015 Colorado
    Trader

Devils Backbone Sixpoint IPA..drank tons of it while going to W&L and I can only ever get it when im back at campus.

38. BowWowWowYippyYoIPA

BowWowWowYippyYoIPA Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 California

Mickey's Ice. Also, just about any MBC mixed with cigarettes, dive bar scent.

39. muddyh2oblues

muddyh2oblues Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Illinois

Old Style Lager, reminds me of going to Cub games with my dad, from the late 60's until the mid 80's. Still drink it to this day. Matter of fact there's 6 or 7 in my regular fridge right now, had some while watching the Stanley Cup Finals along with some pizza on Saturday.

Redrover, rgordon and fx20736 like this.
  40. suttonssuds

suttonssuds Initiate (67) Feb 1, 2012 Massachusetts

Schlitz Tall Boys, Genesee Cream Ale, Labatt 50 and Maximus Super. Good Upstate New York College Memories!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.