Nostalgic Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,854) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished: I assume you meant "Sam Adams" above rather than UK's Samuel Smith, but Pete's Wicked Ale and the Samuel Adams beers were both contract-brewed brands that did not hit the market until the mid-1980s (and both took a few years to expand their distribution region beyond their initial market) by which time there were dozens of "craft" breweries in the US, including well-known existing breweries like Anchor, Boulder and Sierra Nevada. In the PNW alone, there was Yakima (Grant's), Widmer, Redhook and the breweries that would evolve into Pyramid and BridgePort.

#81 jesskidden, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,214) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

Miller High Life - my grandfather always used to drink it

Sam Adam's Octoberfest - first beer I bought when I turned 21

Brubaker - drunken 'last calls' at my college bar, this was the cheapest they had haha

3. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Crusader (781) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Coors....when it was not available around here (it was exciting when someone went "west" and brought some back!)

Anchor Steam.....one of my first beer experiences, and still my favorite brewery

Sierra Nevada Pale - a classic

Great Lakes Dortmunder - used to drink a lot of this in the late 80's, after they opened in Cleveland

Liberty St Brewing (defunct Akron brewery) for their Dragonslayer - great beer!

4. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (318) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Kirin Namakuro. I lived in Japan for a couple years after college and was at the stage where Guinness represented the Cadillac of beers, and Namakuro was dark, tasty and available at the 7-11 in Nerima.

5. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey

I have a few. I feel like anytime I'm somewhere or something special happens while consuming a certain beer I will always think of that situation when I drink that beer. For example. My first trip to Rome I drank a ton of Moretti so that always reminds me of Rome. When I was younger I would always hang at this lake side bar drinking Corona so thats also a big one for me

6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

The morning greeting at the local high school was not "good morning" but rather, "whose got the beer." Genesee. Yes of course.

7. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Society

Jack - you sounded a bit like the world's most interesting man there!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. Uconnelmo

Uconnelmo Zealot (532) Jan 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

sam adams, magic hat, petes wicked, red hook, anchor steam, sierra nevada, sam smiths .... old school

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,156) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe because I am the world's most interesting man, maybe!?:wink:

Cheers!

offthelevel_bytheplumb and SCW like this.
  10. KMDiPas

KMDiPas Initiate (82) Sep 9, 2014 New Hampshire

Arrogant Bastard for me, it's amazing what 4-5 years can do.

11. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (318) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

If only that had been Avery's The Beast in cans. Things would have gotten quite interesting. :grimacing:

scottbrew4u likes this.
  12. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

Esslinger and Liebotschaner Cream Ale in returnable bottles were the weekday go-to in our college age household at $7.99 and $8.99 a case.

Yuengling Porter and Lord Chesterfield in returnables were the weekend brews.

Those were the days...

13. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,511) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I've been drinking too much beer for way too long. I'll start with that. Probably 35 years. Sooooo
    Black Label my first I think. Bud, Hamm's, Miesterbrau, Glacier Bay, Colt 45, Mickey's Wide Mouth, Moosehead, Rolling Rock Ponys, Miller Ponys, Coors, Coors Gold, Labatts Blue, Molsons Bradur smuggled from Canada,Gansett, Redhook Ballards Bitter I think was my intro to craft if I remember correctly. May have been a British beer though like Watneys Red Barrel.......thing is the 80s killed a significant number of brain cells. Damn good times though....

#93 tasterschoice62, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  14. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,133) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

in 1982 I was in my early twenties, me and my roommate then would stop every payday(Friday) to get beer, we would buy anchor steam, I thought, what a goofy beer, little did I know that was a craft beer! so anchor steam is my choice for this

15. rgordon

rgordon Savant (975) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Is dubyanel near uvar?

16. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,361) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Old Style for sure and if I had a little extra scratch, Special Export!

17. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

That's a cool bottle/label!

18. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Ice Beers I remember when 5.5% was a high ABV beer.

19. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (952) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Guinness. Before I got into craft brews, I slugged down so much Guinness. I used to love getting a fresh pour at a bar and ripping down two-thirds of it on the first pull. So smooth and cold, I thought at the time. Rarely do I order one now, but I remember drinking lots of Guinness in a night and never being hungover. Totally reminds me of my early 20's.

20. silverking

silverking Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 Florida

Heineken. I'm drinking one now as a matter of fact. I just bought a 12 pack of it today on a whim, and it brings back some good memories. Back in the not so distant past, I was a teenager who loved Coors light and bonfires (I still love bonfires). One of my good friends always drank Heineken. I remember hating the stuff. Anyway, drinking it now reminds me of simpler (and more reckless) times. Oh well. The past is gone I suppose, but for a moment I can go back with a sip of Heineken.

#100 silverking, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    BeerBob and Ruger like this.
  21. silverking

silverking Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 Florida

And does anyone remember the infamous keystelope?

22. Ruger

Ruger Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2010 Kentucky

23. souvenirs

souvenirs Defender (694) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Pump House Blueberry Ale. Visited the brewery a few times and had it on tap, plus I used to buy it the ANBL in my undergrad days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.