Not Your Father's Root Beer Craze

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by bozodogbreath, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (362) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

What's going on here? Is this the perfect storm of craft beer? A little hole in the wall shop I visit sold 30 cases today. The owner said everyone is buying it - and by the case, too.

sean008 likes this.
  2. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Have you tried it?

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  3. edmaher

edmaher Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 Illinois

It'll be short lived. All the people getting cases will get diabetes and just like that...customer base is gone.

4. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I've only had a sampler of the 10% version. I like it as a major rootbeer fan, but I'm not especially keen on the idea as a beer enthusiast. It's very much the perfect storm for frathouse parties and bro'ed out bar hopping.

5. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

I'm guessing it's for the people that don't like the taste of alcohol but want to get drunk.

6. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

It's a shame I can only like this comment once!

Hop-Droppen-Roll, egoo33 and Dupage25 like this.
  7. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Women love it. Write that down.

8. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

Massive marketing campaign helps .even saw it pushed here as well pretty heavy for awhile.

9. larryarms847

larryarms847 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

There are three varities: 5.9%, ~10%, & ~20%. The 20% (Not Your Grandfather's Root Beer) is incredible, perfect root beer flavor and booze isn't noticeable aside from a belly warming. 10% is very good too, but the 5.9% offering is waaaaayyyyy to much sweet and not enough booze to cut through it like the 10/20% options.

mfnmbvp likes this.
  10. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

The 10% has a 97 on here but with only 322 ratings. Most of the low raters say that there is nothing beer-like about it. With all the adjunct stuff that we are adding to beer (chocolate, coffee, zests, spices, etc.), we need to make sure something is beer first and a milkshake or whatever second.

11. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

Wait, you're supposed to rate the beer based upon the beer alone? Don't fruit or ice cream the beer!

12. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

There's also a non-acoholic version floating around, but I can't comment on it.

In terms of this beer's popularity: It tastes good. People like it. (I know I do.) Pretty straightforward to me...

bozodogbreath and FarmerTed like this.
  13. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (783) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

I'm sure if Binnys didn't announce it's arrival and put a bottle limit on it we'd still be seeing it sit on the shelves.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  14. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,518) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

stuff is amazing

15. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

I've seen plenty of stacks wherever I've found it. If there were bottle limits, they were sorely misguided...

Plus, it's on tap all over the place...

16. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (964) Jun 25, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

It's a really incredible beer. Most people like it because it allows them to drink beer without experiencing the flavor of beer. I like it because there are no other beers that are like it (other alcoholic root beers can't touch it). It's also cool comparing the 5.9, 10, and 19 % versions.

It also doesn't hurt that it's been out for several years but was basically unavailable in bottles.

17. DHS1029

DHS1029 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

Best trade beer I never drank! Seriously, the west coasters go nuts for it. So far I have pulled a Temptation, Black Tuesday, Rye Whiskey Sucré, Tart of Darkness Vanilla/Cherry, and some Almanacs for a couple bombers and a few six packs of this stuff. Have no desire to ever drink it, however.

Mongrel, saintmonday and Treyliff like this.
  18. andyctree

andyctree Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

I am a massive root beer fan. If I am ever out and see a root beer that I haven't tried I buy it. The fact that this beer tastes so much like a great root beer, but is actually an alcohol beverage is a major draw for me. If you are a root beer fan this is the holy grail in my opinion.

19. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,575) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I had the 5.9%, it tasted exactly like root beer. As a root beer fan, I thought it was good, but certainly not a 98 rated beer.

20. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

I haven't had the 20% one but I would definitely say that the 10% is better than the 5.9%. For some reason I got more alcohol taste in the 5.9% one; a slight nail polish remover flavor. The 10% one though is like the perfect root beer like you said. Great mouthfeel on that beer too.

TATURBO and larryarms847 like this.
  21. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

You should give it a try, especially if you like root beer. Hell, even if you don't like root beer, try it. You might still like it. (Some people who don't like coffee, like coffee flavored beers after all.)

TATURBO and Mitchell57 like this.
  22. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

I don't personally like root beer but i would try it but definitely don't crave it or seek it.

23. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (362) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

I tried it tonight. It tastes just like root beer. My brother-in-law, who loves root beer, will never be the same.

KevinMc79, HighWine and larryarms847 like this.
  24. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

So what wine drinkers say about beer drinkers and bourbon drinkers say about wine drinkers and what scotch drinkers say about bourbon drinkers. Let's get a bit more creative. There is more beer trying to imitate food and drinks than anything else on the market including vodka. Vodka. You are what you mock.

albertq17 and TMoney2591 like this.
  25. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,059) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I look at products like this (and Twisted Tea, Hard Lemonade, etc.) from the perspective of a dad.

It scares me that products are on the market that cater to those who want to just drink large quantities as quickly as possible without noticing the alcohol they are consuming.

I'm sure that I sound like an old man but adult beverages should taste like adult beverages NOT soda, tea or candy.

ODYSEYY likes this.
  26. TboneRN

TboneRN Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

I think its great....BUT with that being said...not sure its really a beer, should fall under the Smirnoff ice/hard cider/wine cooler/mikes hard lemonade category

KevSal likes this.
  27. larryarms847

I understand your point to an extent, but I personally believe that people need to take responsibility and drink responsibly. If a brewer puts out an incredible brew with a large ABV, but it's hardly noticeable...it's a work of art and should be enjoyed responsibly. It's not my fault if others want to binge, but why restrict what goes on the market based solely on the fact that others can't control themselves?

28. JReites

JReites Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Florida
    Deactivated

Absolutely agree with this, I am not at all a coffee drinker (love tea) but I am a big fan of coffee beers.

TATURBO likes this.
  29. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

Totally agree with you here but I don't really feel the 6% is too sweet but the 10% & 20% versions are out standing. The 10% and 20% have been served around the area on tap for quite some time and in a snifter is an excellent desert cordial.

We occasionally make root beer floats with it, you know, just to take the edge off. I can't recall any add campaign promoting this but Small Town does have quite a cult like following in NW suburbs and for the 10% bomber release the only line longer at Binny's was Black Friday. I will say here that his Apple Pie version is insane, but that's a different desert.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  30. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2008 Illinois

As a huge root beer fan I think it is amazing. No homerism meant either. If you get the chance to try it I think most would agree.

31. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I'm a fan of both root beer & cider, but alas the craze, especially w/the cider is LOST on me...I suppose if I were in my early 20's I'd be as gaga as a school girl.:rolling_eyes:

32. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

EXACTLY, govern yourselves or expire from excess. STOP policing all for the ignorance of the few.

33. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I've felt that way for a few years. At some point a beer stops being a beer and becomes a flavored malt beverage. How do you think BA's would be reacting to this beer if it was named Shock Top Root Beer? I doubt it would have a 97 rating.

#33 dennis3951, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  34. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

It was pretty damn tasty I can't lie. I had a bottle of the 5.9% while taking a break from working on the house and watching my Lions last Sunday. Honestly it tasted like a well made root beer. I couldn't seem to find any ale like qualities to it. Body was fairly thin and carbonated much more like pop.
    I guess I agree with some of the previous posts in that I really don't see the connection between a bottle of NYFRB and craft beer?

35. HighRollerII

HighRollerII Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 South Carolina

I like it - being in the south I won't get it as much so when I've been to bottle shares it's been a big hit. Just to find 10% and wait for grandfathers to come around and try to score one of those.

36. 57md

Society

I am not at all suggesting that the market be restricted - clearly history indicates that prohibition breeds more social problems than it purports to solve.

I’m just saying that it is unethical to produce alcoholic beverages (particular high ABV beverages) that are marketed to young and vulnerable people. The producers of such products are aware that these products are going to get into the hands of underage drinkers (they can profess their commitment to “21 and over” all they want – they market to those younger than 21 with a wink and a nod).

At least most beers taste like something alcoholic and the volume of consumption is kept down (relatively) by taste and body alone.

37. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,192) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Well now I want to try it, so thanks for contributing to the hype.

malfunxion, bozodogbreath and KevSal like this.
  38. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois

It's brewed and fermented like and ale with the right combination of spices to make it taste like a root beer. I don't see why there is so much backlash over this, when flavor adjunct brewing is all over in craft beer. There are lots of different coffee beers that essentially taste like coffee. Why don't people get this worked up over coffee bender? That being said, the fanbase of this beer seems to be very casual craft beer fans. Not the type that obsess over whales or spend time on this website. People that might try random craft beers like Sierra Nevada but also drink angry orchard or leinies summer shandy. Which that group outnumbers the crazy beer geeks heavily.

39. larryarms847

Well then boss, the parents should take responsibility for their underage drinking children and that should not dictate whether or not I and other responsible drinkers should or should not get to enjoy said hypothetical beer.

40. 57md

Society

As I stated very clearly in my last post, I have no desire to have anything prohibited.

The makers of hard rootbeers and twisted teas are not marketing (primarily) to you and me. They are marketing to people who want to consume mass quantities of alcohol while barely noticing it. Also, they clearly market to people too young to legally purchase alcohol. This is unethical at the very least. I'm sorry if my pointing out unethical behavior on the part of mega-brewers upsets you.

I remember myself between the ages of 15-20. I was raised by responsible people but they were not with me 24/7. They equipped me with the ability to make good decisions but youth and a general feeling of indestructibility overtook my sensibility more than once. I'd imagine that's true for most of us. The last thing that I needed was further encouragement to drink myself into oblivion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.