Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Devotee (481) Mar 9, 2012 Maryland
    Beer Trader

A new thread every month seems silly.

beernuts and sulli520 like this.
  2. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (735) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Anyone seen a new batch of OTWOA cans around DC?

3. Evan

Beer Trader

They just released a fresh batch yesterday, I believe. You'll probably have to go to the brewery to get some.

4. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Defender (603) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I picked up a case yesterday. Canned on 7/31. I also believe it is brewery only.

5. Crenwick

Crenwick Initiate (145) Mar 22, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I picked up a case today and they said they have plenty in the back. So they might still have some Wednesday when they open back up.

6. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Defender (674) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I saw about 12 bottles of ruination at Old Line on Saturday.

Anyone have a chance to try Manor Hills 'splendor' (citra dipa)? Good aroma and flavor, but I have never seen a beer with such turbidity. Light gold in color but an impenetrable haze that makes it look like gold milk. I love unfiltered beers, but this is too much and frankly off putting. Personally, I can't wait until the market becomes fully saturated and those who half-ass it, lack imagination or don't treat their customers right start to feel the squeeze.

7. davidsonrva

davidsonrva Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure 99% of the time cans are brewery only

8. TahoeTweezed

TahoeTweezed Aspirant (218) May 6, 2014 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if Helldorado has hit shelves yet?

9. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Devotee (424) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

^looking for that^

10. hoppytobehere

Subscriber Beer Trader

Another dumb question, sorry I just moved to DC: can you find cans of Union Craft around here?

11. DavidHume

DavidHume Zealot (532) Mar 25, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Do Firestone's Proprietor's Vintage Series actually hit shelves here? I've seen Velvet Merkin once, and that's it.

12. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (386) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Stores? Yes. Shelves? No.

brennser and DavidHume like this.
  13. davidsonrva

Beer Trader

Yes, Double Duckpin should be coming soon, or so I was told

14. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (371) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Supporter Subscriber

Whole Foods P St usually has a full selection; they're also the best bottleshop in DC.

siscokid79 and mactrail like this.
  15. Evan

Beer Trader

I have had two pours of it and haven't been terribly impressed so far. The haziness didn't really bother me. I thought that was similar to Treehouse/Trillium stuff. Those beers seem to have an intense amount of flavor/aroma hops and a higher amount of residual sugars, resulting in a juicy flavor. It seems that's what Manor Hill is going for with Citra Splendor. The pours I've had have been a little too dry and not hoppy enough, in the aroma/flavor department. I like the concept but they definitely haven't nailed it yet. I did enjoyed their IPA though. I love Mosaic!

Dirtyhands likes this.
  16. nchhabra

nchhabra Initiate (118) Apr 3, 2014 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Got some very fresh Heady Topper (7/30 release) up for trade if anyone is interested. Looking for Mexican Cake in particular, but will consider others.

17. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (248) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I could be wrong, but seems like wrong thread.

qchic and duceswild like this.
  18. _RL_

_RL_ Disciple (322) Oct 2, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

While I only know about MD's distro, I was told this evening Helldorado is expected next week or even the week after that even though some store owners were originally told the end of July. As usual, Firestone is slow getting out here. I had Helldorado in St. Louis this weekend, and I don't think it's as good as Parabola/Sucaba/Velvet Merkin/Stickee. It's thick and super sweet and not as complex. I know everyone will still go nuts for bottles, but I'm not sure it's worth all that much effort (Sucaba on the other hand..........).

beernuts likes this.
  19. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Defender (674) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

So you're saying that the color of an impenetrable very very light golden hue latte is what they were going for? Because you couldnt see through this with a maglight.

20. Evan

Beer Trader

To a certain extent, yes. I was saying that they're going for that fruit juice hoppy character that often results in a cloudier beer. That has started to become the description of NE hoppy beers, cloudy/juicy. I don't think they had a target level of cloudiness but more that they aren't worried about it.

Dirtyhands likes this.
  21. beernuts

Beer Trader

Has anyone seen Sixpoint 4Beans yet?

22. coquet

coquet Initiate (68) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

According to the thread on the Beer Releases board, 4Beans should hit VA this week. Haven't seen it yet but keeping my eyes peeled.

23. AldoRaine14

AldoRaine14 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2014 Maryland

4 beans is hitting this week

Isnt whole foods a grocery store? Not arguing their beer selection, but "bottle shop"...no

beernuts likes this.
  24. davidsonrva

Beer Trader

A grocery store that contains a great bottle shop

25. SlothB77

SlothB77 Zealot (560) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Here come all the pumpkin beers.

BrownBottle and jcos like this.
  26. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Seems like the seasonal creep was slower this year, thankfully. Saw fewer in July than last year.

27. starrdogg

starrdogg Champion (822) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I know it's not bottled or canned, but if anyone gets a chance to try Ocelot's Home on draft, I would highly recommend checking it out. Maybe the best hoppy beer I've ever had out of the DC area.

Edit: Just noticed this was discussed in the July DC releases thread, but it was worth reiterating anyway. This beer is awesome, even by Ocelot's standards.

28. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (320) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Sorry dude. They get every release, and more of it than any "bottle shop" in DC or NoVA. Solar Abyss was brewery only, except P St who had a floor stack. They also have a super knowledgeable and friendly buyer, who also stocks "rare" and often very tasty ciders (and it appears meads although not for me).Unlike wandering around a TW, there's two 16ft walls of beer and the struggle is "what not to get/ what can I live without."

Not trying to be rude, you should make a trip!

29. jayluf

jayluf Devotee (406) Mar 26, 2014 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ocelot has received a good amount of buzz lately - do they can/bottle? Or is it growler/pints only on site.

Their website unfortunately is a bit lacking with the amount of information available.

30. beernuts

Beer Trader

No packaged beer at Ocelot, draft only. From what they tell me, they don't plan to ever package their IPAs, but we'll see how long that lasts. I think they will eventually try to bottle some of their barrel-aged beers.

31. starrdogg

Beer Trader

I've only had 3 Ocelot beers, and Home was considerably better than the other two (Hangman and My Worried Mind), which were both only okay. How does their barrel-aged/wild stuff stack up? Worth going out of my way for?

32. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Aspirant (224) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Dominion got in 4beans today for those looking. They have plenty.

AldoRaine14 likes this.
  33. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Aspirant (232) Dec 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Definitely +1 on going to PST Whole Foods. Though solar abyss was not brewery only. A bunch of shops got a few cases apiece. While foods got the most retail, though little miss whiskeys also got I believe 30 out of the 300 cases that left the brewery. They still have some if anyone wants it btw

Prince_Casual likes this.
  34. jcos

jcos Aspirant (243) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

Who cares if it is a bottle shop or not, if the beer is there and for purchase?

qchic and Prince_Casual like this.
  35. beernuts

Beer Trader

They haven't released any barrel-aged beers yet, they have a 13% barleywine brewing now that's going into Woodford Reserve barrels.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  36. Jtc2811

Beer Trader

FYI, Bells Oracle at Schneiders

37. hoppytobehere

Subscriber Beer Trader

Just singles? Price?

38. Jtc2811

Beer Trader

Singles, likely 6-7$ per bottle if past years are an indication

39. alldogsgotohell

alldogsgotohell Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I drank so much home last week. Hear they may never make the same beer twice.

40. starrdogg

Beer Trader

I bought singles of Oracle and Neptune and it was $8something after tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.