Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slack

Slack Savant (953) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Of course since everyone before my post shared where they drank previous years of Hardywood releases - my parents house in PA for Christmas Eve, you are cordially invited to share...Does that qualify as an acceptable place even though it is outside the metro area or do I need to start a new post, b/c you know...thread

pmarlowe likes this.
  2. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

Nope. Doesn't qualify. But feel free to review the place in a different thread. But I'd be happy to attend, then we can review the beers we drink here? Deal?

3. Slack

Trader

Better direct that towards everyone else as well and be clear that no discussion but releases should occur on this thread.

And come on by if you are up in Wilkes Barre, I will be cracking a GNVP

4. DCgolfpro

I can only speak for myself in saying that when I get an alert for this thread I always anticipate seeing that someone is sharing where a delicious beer can be found.

I'll let you know if I'm in the area. Will strongly consider it just to see the look on your face when the "stick to the fucking thread" snob from BA shows up with beer.

thomas2357 likes this.
  5. Slack

Trader

I hear where you are coming from and agree with it. I'm guilty of posting non release items comments much like almost everyone else on this thread. Perhaps going back to a monthly thread would be good solution.

And come on by, my folks would love to have feed you. You gotta bring a bottle to share though!

6. DCgolfpro

I'd be happy to. I've got more bombers than I know what to do with and I can't drink them alone anymore. I should probably stop writing these responses here since it makes me the worlds biggest hypocrite

pmarlowe likes this.
  7. Slack

Trader

Lol, well if you ever want to organize a share locally, let me know.

Transitioning back to releases and Hardywood, lol, is regular CM still floating around VA? Second bit, a Hardywood rep told me KCM would be hitting the area Thursday but take that with a grain of salt.

SlothB77 likes this.
  8. DCgolfpro

Christmas Morning spotted in my closet in Potomac, MD. Not sure about VA

Slack and MGarret like this.
  9. dukieox

dukieox Initiate (76) Apr 27, 2011 Virginia

Aslin bottle release plans have been announced. You can now purchase tickets for bottles online ahead of the release, so no more waiting in line. They stick a fee on each bottle for this "convenience" which is pretty damn annoying, but it looks like it's going to Eventbrite and not them. There's gotta be some way to pay Eventbrite once per transaction instead of each bottle.

Mug club members can start buying tickets today. General public tomorrow at 10am. After buying tickets, you have to go pick them up in person on Thurs or Fri (no proxies). 300 bottles per beer available. Limit 3 per person.

Overall I think this is better as the line stuff got ridiculous, but hopefully it's not too much of a shit show for non mug club people with F5'ing tomorrow morning.

pmarlowe and b-mc-g like this.
  10. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

That's interesting, I think I like it. I like their beer but I've never felt it was worth standing in line for (especially given the small allocations), but if I can take a shot at an online sale and head up for a no-hassle purchase then I'm definitely more likely to participate. For some reason it seems like everything Aslin does rubs me the wrong way, but this actually seems like a good decision from them.

JimBrody likes this.
  11. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Aspirant (202) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Trader

I'm really not sure how this Aslin thing is gonna work out. I like that it's no proxies at least. With such a limited amount of bottles. Doesn't seem like there's gonna be much to go around. How many mug club members are there? 25? 50? Seems like they might be the only ones to get any.

12. scottDC

scottDC Aspirant (261) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia

I know Aslin recently put in some larger fermenters, so hopefully that means some kegs get into distribution. I don't care about the packaged beer--I just want to be able to walk into Meridian Pint and order an Orange Starfish.

grover37 and D-18V like this.
  13. Jayjaybman

Jayjaybman Initiate (189) Apr 18, 2014 District of Columbia
    Trader

Couple six packs of high westified @ modern Liquors, in the back coolers $15

Dirtyhands likes this.
  14. coquet

coquet Initiate (109) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

There are 100 mug club members, so they could put a real dent in the bottles available for non-mug club if they go nuts.

15. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

600 bottles of each with a 3 bottle limit means the Mug Club members could claim up to half of the bottles if they all maxed out (18 bottles), though I can't imagine that will actually happen. That's $195 before taxes and fees. I'm as big of an Aslin fanboy as anyone, and I was only planning on buying somewhere between 5-10.

16. Gumbo_gravy

Trader

A 100 mug members. If they all buy their full allotment that wipes out half the total allotment. I'll be on refreshing at 10:00 AM but this isn't looking good for getting any of this release.

17. Gumbo_gravy

Trader

$15 for the whole sixer?? Modern Liquors @ Mt. Vernon Square?

18. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (829) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I won't be around for this shitshow but I would be hesitant to pay $0.50/oz for IPAs that were recently scaled up. Especially after those clear looking batches they released recently. Who knows how the beers will turn out.

19. Jayjaybman

Jayjaybman Initiate (189) Apr 18, 2014 District of Columbia
    Trader

Yes, that's the one. Saw milk n cookies in the front cooler too if that's of interest

20. Gumbo_gravy

Trader

That's a good point. I've only been more recently (i.e. since they quit having to-go options) and they only had Orange Starfish on tap and I wasn't blown away. I'm wondering if all the to-go options will be on draft as well and you can taste before deciding...

21. fire34fighter

fire34fighter Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Virginia

Mug club limits are showing 300 instead of 600, so I think there's 900 total of each.

22. SublimeDisco

SublimeDisco Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2015 District of Columbia

100 Mug Club Members x 3 Bottles Per = 300 Bottle Limit for Mug Club

23. dukieox

Regarding recent quality problems at Aslin, there's a chance it just wasn't fresh. I know double starfish was on tap for at least 2 weeks. Usually the only way to get it when they were doing takeaways was to get it the day of release (even on tap). So maybe we're all just used to uber fresh dankness.

24. dukieox

I just put my order in and there were more than 200 bottles of each still remaining. They also charged ~$1.25 per bottle for the Eventbrite fee which is lame lol.

25. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Wow, so Eventbrite is charging them $5,400 for this? That's pretty steep. Like I said before, everything they do rubs me the wrong way, I just can't support them.

D-18V, Drankenstein, mblackie and 4 others like this.
  26. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (298) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I know it's not as good as Aslin, but I got a $5 32 oz growler fill of Enjoy By at Whole Foods and feel so relieved I didn't have to bother with any online ticketing stuff.

b-mc-g likes this.
  27. ericdavidmorris

ericdavidmorris Aspirant (281) Jun 2, 2014 California

Yeah that fee + saying "plus tax" plus the bottle price rubs me the wrong way.

Saying $10.99 for the bottle isn't true if you're tacking tax on top of it.

Does BPT charge a fee? I don't think so, or at least it's upfront and advertised and included in the price

28. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (87) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland

Basically my thoughts exactly. FWIW, my brother lives in Boulder and it sounds like the Casey ticketed releases have been a godsend compared to what was going on out there when it was every man for himself.

29. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (360) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I'm not feeling it at all. I'm not sure if the person answering questions on the Aslin page is clueless ,or maybe they didn't think this through. If it was like $0.25 per bottle, sure it's better to do a per bottle fee. But if it's $10 for a BP ticket (even not subtracted from your beer total) vs $2.40 a bottle. EVERYONE is gonna get the max of the 3 'regular' IIPAs, so clearly it would have been cheaper to jsut do a $10 flat fee ala BPT.

Not sure why they thought people would be "excited" for the expansion if it means the $12.99 32oz crowler is now $14.41 for a 25oz bottle, if you make it past the F5 mash-fest tomorrow morning.

hoppytobehere and Ianrem7 like this.
  30. Prince_Casual

Trader

More than that! Click on the blue DETAILS on the right. It says $2.42 for the $11.99 ones. That's got to be per bottle, since 2.42 is not divisible by 3. OUCH!
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aslin-122216-beer-release-tickets-30444014868

31. ericdavidmorris

Also - why is Aslin bottling IPAs in 750s instead of just canning? Isn't canning cheaper? They couldn't get a mobile canner? Bottling IPAs seems so weird to me (other than Maine Beer Co).

32. Prince_Casual

Trader

The cans themselves are much cheaper. The equipment to can with, is much more expensive. This is all also tied to the used market, as places typically buy a rig another brewer has outgrown, or has closed and won't need. I know for example Port City bought an old 22oz bottling line from Southern Tier, then paid to have it set up for 12oz.

33. ericdavidmorris

The equipment to can is expensive but you have mobile canners which go all over the NE for breweries and will can for you for a fee. Gotta imagine that's better than buying an (outdated) bottling line.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  34. Prince_Casual

Trader

Possibly. My only thoughts:
    1) The crowler machine could have been on it's last leg anyways, the last 2 releases I had beer coming out of one or more cans (Passion of Johann and Key Lime Rasberry Gose). I think those are meant to be canned to order, not do 1200 cans in a row. This could have pushed up their timeline.
    2) Maybe they are planning on doing more non-IPAs and this seemed a good investment in the meantime until a canning set up deal could be made.
    3) Shitty 'bargain' canning lines - see DC Brau's quality level, and their inability or indifference to fix it.

35. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (86) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia

It's amazing that the owners of Aslin don't actively solicit advice from people on this thread. Clearly everyone here knows more about running a brewery than they do :rolling_eyes:

36. ericdavidmorris

~ $15 for a bottle of an IPA from a brewery is kinda absurd. I'm glad they're doing online but Threes Brewing in NYC (along wit using iron heart mobile canners like other half and interboro among many others) sells online and you know how much you're purchasing it for - there are no hidden fees or added tax. It's all figured into the pricing.

Mongrel, Ianrem7 and hoppytobehere like this.
  37. Gumbo_gravy

Trader

Maybe not... but alot of people here have been to alot of different releases and while the tickets are appreciated. paying an obnoxious amount for said tickets is ridiculous.

Also this is a service industry. If customer's aren't happy hard to do business. Aslin currently as a small operation still needs people wanting to come out to a business park in Herdon, VA. They're not doing any actual distro. I think listening to feedback and criticism is part of the process.

b-mc-g, Ianrem7, pmarlowe and 5 others like this.
  38. makalarch

makalarch Aspirant (206) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sorry to hijack this thread and point me elsewhere if need be but I am heading home (Quantico/Fredericksburg) for Christmas this weekend and taking part in a small gift exchange with siblings. They want to get me beer to which I said great but would like to know what would be a good gift for a beer need that is Virginia local on the shelves? Any thoughts? I get most larger distro Virginia beers up here in philly but any rarer hardywood etc out right now?

39. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (87) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland

I was in Richmond for the Kentucky Christmas Morning release two weekends ago and there were several variants of Hardywood's GBS out that I think are worth trying (bourbon barrel, rum barrel, Christmas Morning, etc). If they are passing through Richmond, their best bet is to pick up bottles from the brewery. If not, I'll hang up and let others comment on beer available elsewhere.

40. makalarch

makalarch Aspirant (206) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yeah if they are going through richmond I am definitely going to just tell them to swing by hardywood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.