Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland

I eventually got past the widget error. Most of the bottles were gone by then...

2. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Harsh.

3. ericdavidmorris

ericdavidmorris Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 California

As there should be, just like there was with The Lost Abbey during their infamous DDG release.

1. Should have never hosted on Eventbrite to begin with. Basically no brewery does because the fees are absurd. Could have gone with BPT from the beginning.

2. Changing to hosting on their own site last minute was a good move from them to avoid the fees for their customers after hearing the complaints, but it was clear their site couldn't handle the traffic when they told everyone 10AM.

3. They recognized the problems, but still worked to get it up - it comes up ~10:15 when some have given up and others still have issues with the site. Bottles instantly sell out. Recognizing the problems, they maybe should have announced a new start time or just moved to BPT instead of their site.

Every brewery can still learn.

4. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I wasn't able to get through the widget error until everything was gone. I honestly can't say I'm disappointed, because I was on the fence about buying due to cost and concern that the recently scaled up recipes won't work out as well as they did when they were smaller batch. Oh well. Congrats to those that scored bottles, and hopefully they turn out fantastic. I've enjoyed having a stellar local brewery to support, and I'd like that to continue.

siege06nd, BFF21231 and Beers-es like this.
  5. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

If Aslin would just lower the quality of their beer, it would solve everything.

siege06nd, bat6, jmasher85 and 4 others like this.
  6. illeagle05

illeagle05 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 Virginia

They actually were using tickettailor and TT was down for a period of time there...not that they shouldn't switch away from TT, but it wasn't their own website crashing

7. illeagle05

FWIW... either they just released more or some people's got released from their carts because I just ordered some...everything but DOS

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  8. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

My guess is they will eventually transition to cans, just as Trillium and Singlecut have. They'll likely sell out of bottles for the first couple releases, but eventually bottle purchases will become a "special" purchase for people. Hopefully they have thought about this and are already saving for a canning line.

Devman171 likes this.
  9. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

I caught up on dead set on life and bong appetit last night. Really good shows. I also Finished Jessica Jones.

10. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia

They made 600 bottles of each. Given past demand, I figured this would be a shit show. Didn't expect I'd get bottles, nor did I. Now everyone else who missed out is going to complain about the release method and argue for some different method that they assume would have gotten them bottles. Bigger problem is only bottling 600, then setting the limit at 3. No way they were going to last. Then again, if you set the limit at 1, they guarantee having to deal with 600 MINIMUM patrons coming in over the next two days for bottles, and I could see how that would be a hassle. They sold out of their bottles, losing no money, and people will still throw money at them for their next release. No point in getting upset.

11. illeagle05

While I would love for them to can instead of bottle (especially 750's for IPA's), I don't think it's in their immediate plans from what I've heard. Kai or Andrew recently said they realize that canning is the way things are going now for similar breweries and they like the art you can do with cans but they decided to bottle instead of can because it makes the beer feel more special or something along those lines. Hopefully they'll have a change of heart or that was just an excuse due to immediate costs.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  12. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

Apparently KCM at TJs Bailey's Crossroads this morning ... aaand it's gone.

13. DCgolfpro

Not at all. I have no off season. I do have off days. And I figured if we'd all ignore the Aslin thread and use this instead I may as well follow suit with my current thoughts. Didn't get any Aslin beers by the way.

14. kingholmes

kingholmes Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

KCM at Whole Foods in Reston.

SlothB77 likes this.
  15. DCgolfpro

It appears Rodman's has mysteriously uncovered more bourbon county.

16. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

I'd guess the later. Once bottles start sitting and inventory isn't moving they'll have a pretty quick change of heart.

I'd venture to guess the real reason is they don't currently have the space and/or money for a canning line.

17. Jhurley1

Jhurley1 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 Virginia

KCM in at Total Springfield

VABA and SlothB77 like this.
  18. jacewg

jacewg Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

The art, while great and important, is secondary to Aslin.

The real reason for bottles over cans is dissolved oxygen. New England-style IPAs are fragile as it is. Introduce oxygen and it's all over. For now, bottles give them the best opportunity to package a quality product.

Cans can be done at a high quality. John Kimmich at The Alchemist is known for having lower DO rates than basically anyone, but he's the exception. He's also been doing this for 20+ years.

Jace

19. illeagle05

all gone.. just called.

conversation with the lady:
    me: do you guys have any hardywoo...
    *crosstalk*
    me: sorry, wh...
    *crosstalk*
    me: what's that?
    her: COMEandGONE
    me: okaaaay thaaaanks

i mean i get that answering the phone about the same thing over and over again is annoying, but do they not realize the conversation would be over more quickly if they didn't talk over the other person?

#5939 illeagle05, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  20. DCgolfpro

When she shut up you should have said, "capital trail pale ale?"

SFP04, siege06nd and illeagle05 like this.
  21. D-18V

D-18V Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2014 District of Columbia

whole foods P street had quite a few bottles of Bourbon barrel GBS today. a pleasant surprise.

22. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

TW Ballston got KCM today and sold out already.

23. thomas2357

thomas2357 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia

Still a few at the Reston WF.

24. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,627) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

25. DCgolfpro

What just happened

Is this now a beer releases, Aslin Brewing, what're you drinking now thread?

siege06nd and VABA like this.
  26. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Is there a way to send my Untappd checkins directly to this thread?

27. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I feel kinda bad cuz I hated (on here and to friends via text).

Was sysed to see the change of plans. Refreshed over and over on an android device. Got max everything but Johann and Small Town ("budget" and in moment decision, kind awish I'd done one each of those too). My Paypal is already linked up so maybe that helped me. 10:14 completed.

Wham bam. I would actually prefer to just stand in line on a Thursday cuz that's no big to deal to me, but I'll admit I am glad I don't have to now.

28. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I used to hate on Aslin taking over this thread, Aslin discussion that is. Today was a 'release" for all intensive porpoises so I think it's permitted today.

Case dismissed. WBAYDN is still in violation.

Beers-es and VABA like this.
  29. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,627) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

My bad!

30. DCgolfpro

Well done

31. Jeisen08

Jeisen08 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2014 District of Columbia

Thanks for the heads up. Still a bunch left.

32. DCgolfpro

BBGBS at Rodman's for $20 a bottle
    CM at Rodman's for $16 a bottle
    Shit tons of Wicked Weed sours/fruity farmhouse brew for, gasp, $20 a bottle. Check their twitter feed more details

33. Jeisen08

BBGBS was 15 at WF P st, fwiw.

D-18V likes this.
  34. DCgolfpro

Not remotely surprised. The power of the word "bourbon" or "kentucky" on a bottle at Rodman's is strong.

Jeisen08 likes this.
  35. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

It was $15 for a 32 oz growler fill at Springfield Whole Foods. Nahnahnanahnah.

36. Jeisen08

No car lol so not super relevant :stuck_out_tongue:.

37. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

That seems to be the price everywhere around here, not sure how much cheaper it is at the brewery but when I was in the OBX the prices were similar to ours.

38. DCgolfpro

I think they were $18. I don't remember. The only WW beers I've had that were worth it were dark age and Bombadile

39. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Gotta catch the WW beers at a Paradiso or Smoke and Barrel Happy Hour.

DavidHume and MyThoughtsExactly like this.
  40. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

I'd throw Recurrant, Garcon de Ferme and Omnipresence into that mix too. But yeah, they make a lot of good beers that aren't good enough to justify their price points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.