Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elayton

elayton Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2015 Maryland

RAR Dank Day 3/11/17...

Just moved to MD so I've never been, but this seems like a good day to visit? Reggae bands and dank beer, yes please!

2. Rorshak16

Rorshak16 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2016 Maryland

They have one release per month.

3. jdregs

jdregs Initiate (0) May 23, 2016 Maryland

Dank day is a blast, from what little I remember...

4. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

ddh pseudosue and reg pseudosue at CBC H St on Saturday when they open. Pissed I'll be out of town.

Beers-es and VABA like this.
  5. Evb721

Evb721 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2016 Maryland

At most RAR has been once a month, minus the maxs release and rartoons in the same week. They've done pretty well with getting their releases out into keg distro IMO. Lot of places have seen blacker the berry, hyde and mint 10 layers. Imperial Bucktown and 3870 are popping up frequently too

BFF21231 and headbangingteacher like this.
  6. 2dogbrew

2dogbrew Crusader (726) Mar 2, 2009 Virginia

I heard Hopslam will hit NoVA next week. I won't be seeking this out, but heard the timing so passing along.

Cpmitchno1 likes this.
  7. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Crusader (786) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia

Thank you.

8. headbangingteacher

headbangingteacher Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Maryland

Agreed. Over the past couple months, I've been able to get pours and crowler fills of most of their recent special releases 2 hours outside Cambridge at my local watering hole.

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  9. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,142) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Where in Maryland are you?

Nick's of Calvert place in Prince Frederick, MD just got a keg of RAR Mint 10 Layers for growler fills, but you didn't hear that from me... :wink:

10. polopaul20

polopaul20 Initiate (0) May 9, 2011 Maryland

Downtown Crown in Gaithersburg has been getting a pretty steady supply of RAR kegs. Had Hyde and Stunt Cock with Strawberries for growler fills yesterday.

11. headbangingteacher

headbangingteacher Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Maryland

I am right down the road from the fine establishment polopaul mentioned.

12. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

FWIW, there was a bunch of TG left when I was at CBC about an hour ago. Depending on when you're getting back, you may still be able to land some.

Also of note is that the Pseudo Sue is over a month old. Didn't check the date on the DDH version.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  13. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Can you tell if they are from Iowa or Florida (I don't follow which TG are brewed where)?

14. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland

The beers at CBC came straight from the brewery (per CBC's social media). Also I think only Dorothy's, PseudoSue, and Golden Nugget are brewed at Brewhub in Florida.

Prince_Casual and VABA like this.
  15. dennisdrinks

dennisdrinks Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2017 Maryland

Will be getting 5 cases of Hopslam next Saturday.

Did someone on here come in and buy all the Bon Bon I had on the shelf? :slight_smile:

16. hoppytobehere

ddh sue is from Iowa and reg sue cans are from Florida.

Drinking a ddh sue now and it is incredible. If they have more I will grab some tomorrow.

colty42 and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  17. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (262) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Was at CBC just before close yesterday-- still a fair amount of all 3 TG beers. Very cool that they brought this stuff in. Had a regular PseudoSue last night... it's really, really good, but fresh Grunion or Hoppy Birthday, which can be sometimes found around here, are in the same hoppy APA league for me.

DDH PS date on neck is 12/30.

b-mc-g likes this.
  18. hoppytobehere

Agree with all of the above except I do not like hoppy birthday, or at least what they're passing off as it now.

Just was at CBC to get more. Fucking love that they did all of this and can't get over how good ddh sue is. Might be favorite beer of all time. I'm a Citra whore though.

19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,636) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

The date on the regular Pseudo Sue was 12/22, almost a month. I had all the beers you mentioned and a fresh Pseudo Sue (from Decorah) is in a league above the others, just my opinion.

I do agree that it is AWESOME they did manage to get beers from Toppling Goliath (I was going to make a beer run in NY city, Other Half, Singlecut, Threes, etc. but decided not to), and I truly enjoyed the all the beers from Toppling Goliath.

20. jacewg

jacewg Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

Talking Backwards release at Meridian/Brookland/Smoke on 2/1. Ocelot on 2/2. I believe they said they're going to fill 500 ish bottles this year as well.

21. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

~18cs hopslam cans at Wegmans Sterling

$19.99, on the floor in the craft beer section

22. dennisdrinks

dennisdrinks Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2017 Maryland

Yes! near Eastern Market will be getting Softly Spoken Magic Spells cans tomorrow.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  23. hoppytobehere

oh hell yeah

24. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Don't get too excited, I've already pre-purchased their entire allotment.

25. ROXONE

ROXONE Initiate (55) Jun 23, 2016 New York

Any idea if CBC still has any TG brews left today? Thanks in advance!

26. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

They just tweeted that they still have both cans. No DDH bottles left though.

27. elayton

Manor Hill release this Saturday 1/28 in Gaithersburg...

Details

Join us at Downtown Crown Wine and Beer for the exclusive release of Malt Shop IPA and Passionfruit IPA cans! Be the first to get your hands on these 16 oz cans! This event begins at 10 AM! No tickets needed, but a line will form so be sure to get there early!

Malt Shop IPA: 8% Imperial IPA: Manor Hill’s take on the popular “Milkshake/Smoothie” IPA. Our Imperial IPA is brewed with large amounts of wheat and oats with lactose added, more for body than sweetness. Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria hops used in the kettle and double dry hopped with copious portions of both. Hundreds of pounds of Mango and Apricot puree were added right at the end of fermentation before conditioning on Madagascar Vanilla Bourbon beans. Malt Shop IPA will be silky, lush and creamy with a balanced sweetness. The hop character melds seamlessly with the mango and apricot, creating an experience that is definitively an IPA, just elevated.

Passionfruit IPA: 6.8% IPA: For this limited seasonal release, we decided to take our mosaic hop forward flagship IPA and add a great deal of passion fruit puree post fermentation. The resulting beer will provide you with a big juicy mouthfeel accompanied by tropical fruit and a firm hop bitterness in the finish. Only canned 2-3 times a year in small batches.

Limit 3 four-packs of each/case price of $95.
    Four-pack of Malt Shop IPA: $17.50
    Four-pack of Passionfruit IPA: $15.99

Interested to see how Malt Shop turns out...

Drankenstein likes this.
  28. ROXONE

ROXONE Initiate (55) Jun 23, 2016 New York

Thanks! Was able to scoop a couple. Seem to still have a decent amount out.

Also, those Softly Spoken cans are on point - definitely cop if you can!

29. Jeisen08

Jeisen08 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2014 District of Columbia

If i remember right you seem to know whats going on at TJ's 14/U. It looks the beer section lost some shelf space.....

30. jmasher85

jmasher85 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland

Uh, way to rub it in... :slight_frown:
    Haha, just kidding. The shelves are actually a foot deeper, and the seasonal beers got moved to a central display space, so it really just looks smaller and is better consolidated. I think square footage-wise, it's about the same, just reorganized. We're also trying to get a new distributer coming in soon, so that should also shake up our inventory a bit, for the better.

31. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Crusader (786) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia

For anyone looking, Total Wine McLean had Hopslam for $21.99 a six pack. I left there around 7:30 and they still had a lot left. Limit of one six pack per person.

32. hoppytobehere

I hope you're joking

33. Evan

Evan Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Maryland

Hopslam, Big Bad Baptista, and Krieky Bones are at Perfect Pour. (BBB & KB up by the register) Also have another shipment of Peabody Heights Thirstay. Not going to knock your socks off but a very solid APA.

34. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I ran a search first because I thought that there was an Aslin thread. What's a good time to get to Aslin for a can release? I understand that they open at 3...

35. sulli520

sulli520 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 District of Columbia

36. elayton

Apparently it's in the South-Atlantic' forum. Haven't made it to Aslin yet so I can't really help...sounds like they're still working through the new process, but can releases have gone relatively smooth lately.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/aslin-beer-co-releases.427963/page-10#post-5243390

Sheppard likes this.
  37. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

ArlVABeerGuy, Sheppard and pmarlowe like this.
  38. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Hard to say for sure but they do post when it's sold out, you can look at previous FB posts to get a good idea. The first release I went at 4 and was able to get a full allotment, last week you could have probably showed up at 315-330 and gotten a full allotment.

Sheppard likes this.
  39. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Thank you.

40. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,617) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Regular Abyss and Brandy Barrel version on the shelf at Whole Foods Foggy Bottom.

srw, dennisdrinks and kingholmes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.