Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nimbleprop

nimbleprop Initiate (131) Apr 4, 2008 District of Columbia

No question that Bluejacket has improved over the last 12 months, specifically with regards to their hoppy beers and their berliners. The barrel program however, has a ways to go and they can get there is they show a similar level of improvement over the next 12 months. But those Blue Monday bottles are probably as good now as they are going to be. It doesn't have anything that you'd want to mellow out over time (booze, vanilla/chocolate, acid). If I had to bet, it's likely to get thinner quickly if you wait and you'll likely lose what little roast is there currently. I hope they rebrew this, give the base some more body and pick the right local coffee.

Moses_Malone likes this.
  2. TheMadKing

TheMadKing Initiate (65) Mar 27, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Stern but fair, guess I was hoping the fruit notes might fade a bit, but it does seem unlikely that the other flavors would stand up to aging it at all. Cheers.

MattXT likes this.
  3. nimbleprop

I'm just one knucklehead and my last name ain't Papazian, but I have a fair amount of experience with cellaring/aging and Blue Monday did not strike me as being a good candidate.

RocketFrogDavid likes this.
  4. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (49) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

Just a heads up down town crown will have BA Ten Fidy on tap Friday night if anyone is interested. Oskar Blues and Breckenridge tap take over....

Nexking and BrownBottle like this.
  5. SlothB77

SlothB77 Devotee (495) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

Equivalent of 8 cases of bb gbs lett at tjs clarendon. No limits.

6. jcos

jcos Devotee (488) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland
    Society

I've stated this before...admittedly, I only had "Alpine Alpine" a few times a few years ago. I had Hoppy Birthday on draft at the beach, bombers of Nelson and Duet, and have had 12 ounce beers from seperate six packs of Pure Hopiness. I don't know if the beers are the same, but I was happy enough with how those beers all tasted.

I think perhaps the initial batches weren't up to par but still being sent out, and perhaps they have been improved.

7. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,289) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Besides Lost Weekend, what else is worth drinking? Honest question - I can't think of anything.

8. sdterp

sdterp Initiate (71) Apr 17, 2014 Maryland

I'm coming across Woodrow Wilson into VA from MD this evening to get some BA GBS, where would be best to go?
    TW Springfield or TW/TJ's Alexandria.

9. jayluf

jayluf Aspirant (226) Mar 26, 2014 District of Columbia

Forbidden planet, little golden gem, full bloom, mexican radio (cask), wedding ale, fields of friendly strife, snallygaster, BA figure 8, scarecrow just off the top of my head.

10. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,289) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Oops, meant to specify hoppy beers, particularly Pales and IPAs.

11. KillerTofu

KillerTofu Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2015 District of Columbia

I thought clamor, their dipa, was solid.

12. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

TW Alexandria would be your best bet but 1 pp - I am understanding TW Springfield is out and TJ never recieved any. You may want to call first. TJ Clarendon isn't that far, may be worth it if you are looking for more than 1.

sdterp likes this.
  13. mblackie

mblackie Initiate (88) Sep 19, 2010 California

Few cases left at TJ's Clarendon.

14. TheMadKing

Trader

Xocoveza, Double Duckpin, Breckenridge 25 and Heavy Seas 20 Year Storm at Downtown Crown

15. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,156) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Bourbon GBS at Total Wine Mclean, one bottle per person.

16. Schultz

Schultz Initiate (113) Jan 19, 2008 Maryland

Anybody know when Duclaw For Pete's Sake will be released for distribution?

17. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

So apparently Shawan will not be getting any Xocoveza according to my intel. Distributor screwed them over. That's two years in a row I miss out now. :angry: They did have a few bottles of Agrestic though, $16.99 iirc.

18. Slack

Trader

On a seperate Duclaw note, did they ever go forward with distro of Retribution this year - I know they were doing the whole Retrib Day but didn't know if they sold out or what...

19. SlothB77

any luck? I know that Trader Joe's Clarendon was a lock. I know that Total Wine on Little River Turnpike was sold out and TJ's King Street/ Bailey's Crossroads was sold out. The status of TJ's Old Town was unknown to me or any other place over that way.

20. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

I don't think they distro'd this year. I think they did the brewery only release thing, because i haven't heard of anything about this beer yet. Trying to turn a shelf turd into something hyped it seems.....

21. sdterp

sdterp Initiate (71) Apr 17, 2014 Maryland

I went to Total Wine in Alexandria and it was 1 pp but they had at least 3 cases as of about 8:30pm last night.
    Before I left I called TW Springfield and TJ in Old Town and they both said they were sold out.

22. SlothB77

My mistake. Yes, TW Alexandria wasn't sold out.

23. _RL_

_RL_ Disciple (350) Oct 2, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

They're just doing the releases at the various Duclaw locations today and yesterday, so I think it would be soon.

http://duclaw.com/events/for-petes-sake-beer-release/

24. sulli520

sulli520 Initiate (173) Feb 26, 2014 District of Columbia
    Trader

Calvert Woodley has Abraxas.

25. jonesy77

jonesy77 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2009 District of Columbia

Abraxas is on the shelf at WF Foggy Bottom.

scottDC likes this.
  26. Slack

Trader

Appreciate it - was looking to compare a '13 languishing in my fridge to the most current batch.

27. kingholmes

kingholmes Initiate (74) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

TW Sterling has 3 or 4 Abraxas left and at least a case of BBGBS.

28. Drew031482

Drew031482 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2014 District of Columbia

Whole Foods Clarendon has 5 or 6 cases of BB GBS. They aren't on the shelf yet, though. I bought two though I'm not sure if there is a bottle limit (I saw them in the back and couldn't get anyone to help so I just grabbed em).

jayluf and SlothB77 like this.
  29. dukieox

dukieox Initiate (76) Apr 27, 2011 Virginia

Dominion Wine and Beer in MoCo has For Pete's Sake now.

30. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

WF Alexandria has BB GBS in a box next to the beer bar.

31. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Defender (657) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

In what sense? Very common with a beer of this quality & rarity. Unless you're talking about your own financial issues, it's not so scary.

It's legal and it's not BS. Any idea how many years it takes a store owner to finally get 12 measly bottles of Abraxas? 2 years. 2 years worth of buying Regalia, Vermilion, etc so that he may present his customers with Abraxas. Perennial does that "BS" to store owners in every state. Maybe your issue should be with Perennial. If Old Line had not created that prerequisite, I would have missed out on that bottle.

Had they asked you to buy a 30 rack of Coors, I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment of "BS". Maybe gain some distributional perspective so you don't across as so entitled, or don't.

sulli520 likes this.
  32. kts

kts Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2013 Maryland

I never said it wasn't legal. In my opinion it's a BS business practice.

I've bought plenty of hard-to-find beers from various stores over the years and none of them required other purchases to get a bottle of something. In fact I've bought a number of hard-to-find things from Old Line over the years and they didn't require me to buy anything else at the same time previously. It's a new practice and I'm not a fan of it.

I get that Perennial (like many brewers) and their distributors allocate their most highly desired beer to stores that sell more of their other year-round/core beers like Regalia and Vermillion and that requiring someone to buy 2 of Perennial's other beers helps ensure that a store will sell more Perennial so they'll continue to get Abraxas down the road. I don't agree with it but I get it. A store is free to run their business however they want as it's a free market. I'm free to take my business elsewhere.

I'm glad you were able to snag a bottle of Abraxas and I hope you enjoy it, it's a great beer.

Keeping this on topic, Old Line still had a bottle of Abraxas on the shelf when I was there earlier today, $29.99 + 2 other Perennial beers as Evan mentioned earlier in this thread.

33. SlothB77

Has anyone seen Victory Java Cask in VA yet?

34. nimbleprop

How was the Blue Monday line at Bluejacket for the release? Did it move? Trying to decide what time to pop over there tomorrow, if at all.

35. dingalls8

dingalls8 Initiate (75) Jul 18, 2014 Virginia

Does anyone know if Project PAM is still available at Arrowine (or anywhere in Arlington?). Thanks!

36. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (372) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

I think there's still some at Westover and Lost Dog across the street.

37. FLASHMSTRC

FLASHMSTRC Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2015 Virginia

I saw cases of Project Pam at Total Wine in Springfield earlier this week. Could be worth calling to see if they still have any.

38. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,077) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society

It was there last night about 6pm. 5 to 10 bottles on the shelf.

39. TheMadKing

Trader

Whole Foods Clarendon had it as well... bottom shelf on the right.

40. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (260) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

I got there at 12pm there was around 10 people in front of me in line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.