Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AldoRaine14

AldoRaine14 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2014 Maryland

You are allowed to oversea the brewing process at Beltway. As far as I know you cannot touch the equipment really at all. Just give them your recipe and watch the process. I can 99.99% guarantee this is not an option for Ocelot, assuming my previous information is accurate.

Beers-es and jacewg like this.
  2. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (178) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Looks like pretty soon. This is the latest pic they posted -

MattXT and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  3. Drew031482

Drew031482 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2014 District of Columbia

Does anyone know what products they will offer that will be different than Whole Foods, Arrowwine, Total Wine, Westover Market, etc.?

4. DammitMike

DammitMike Initiate (81) Nov 28, 2014 Virginia

I believe their plan is to offer homebrew supplies as well as bottled beer. I hope they can keep their prices competitive, but I have to imagine that burning up a year's worth of rent for that space in Arlington before they even open is going to be a big hole to dig themselves out of.

pmarlowe likes this.
  5. JandJMD

JandJMD Devotee (462) Feb 23, 2013 Maryland

Last week (Saturday actually), there were a few sitting at WF P street when I was there. Just the regular GBS.

6. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Well they are dealing with Arlington County. This was just posted on Sunday. http://www.arlbrew.com/blog/2015/12/27/long-overdue-construction-update

7. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Saw shit load at Trader Joes' Clarendon last week, give them a call.

8. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

well that's 1 way, but as mentioned before, mobile canning would be their best option, but see Kane, and doing Head High, they've done a single can run, 500 cases, and there were too many quality control issues...none of the cans I had had, had any issues, but it wasn't quite as good as it is on tap, or the growlers that I've gotten from my buddies in NJ.

Ocelot is also less than a year old, I think their 1 year anny is in April...lots to do for a new brewery, and canning wasn't part of the plan in year 1...that I'm aware.

9. berto714

berto714 Aspirant (280) Oct 16, 2014 New York

Yea that definitely makes sense. FWIW, Other Half (and I think Carton too?) also uses a mobile canner and the canned offerings are pretty consistently great. Not sure what happened with Kane since I didn't get any of those cans. OH didn't start canning until just after their 1-year anniversary though, so it makes sense that it would take some time to get that worked out. Hopefully they start canning at some point - the more cans of fresh hops the better.

10. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Thank you - will try and make it over to DC.

Funny, I called them earlier and they said it was all gone. Probably will stop by to confirm. Thanks.

11. Jayjaybman

Jayjaybman Initiate (174) Apr 18, 2014 District of Columbia
    Trader

Did gose gone wild bottles hit our distro yet?

needMIbeer likes this.
  12. jonesy77

jonesy77 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2009 District of Columbia

if anyone is still looking...as of a few minutes ago Christmas Morning and BB GBS are available at Whole Foods Foggy Bottom at the Customer Service desk. Looks to be about 2 cases of each left.

13. Slack

Trader

No dice for GBS at TJ in clarendon

14. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Grapefruit Bomb. Had some a few Weeks ago and it was like Grapefruit Juice.

15. Xenoreactive

Xenoreactive Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2015 Virginia

Sold out in most Wegmans and WF around, so it's nearing to an end very quickly.

16. rhefter

rhefter Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2009 Virginia

Believe K-1 on Columbia Pike still has some regular GBS. Just call and ask.

17. illeagle05

illeagle05 Aspirant (241) Dec 21, 2010 Virginia

sounds like a Prairie variant for April Fools Day

jmasher85, Shroud0fdoom and jacewg like this.
  18. Drew031482

Drew031482 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2014 District of Columbia

The landlord probably gave them a considerable amount of $TI's, which they will use prior to opening. However, I don't see how they will be competitively priced. See my assumptions below...

Costs:
    Rent: $40/sf x 2,000sf = $80,000 per year
    Utilities: $500 per month = $6,000 per year
    Insurance: $1,000 per month = $1,000 per year
    Basic Salaries: 2 x $20,000/year = $40,000 per year

Profit Margin: 20%

So, in order to make back their costs, which lets just round to $125,000 per year, they would have to sell $625,000 worth of merchandise per year. In other words, if they old sold six packs at $15 a piece, they would need to sell over 40,000 of them per year, or 115/day.

KillerTofu and pmarlowe like this.
  19. coquet

coquet Initiate (103) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

One bottle of Abraxas sitting on the shelf at TW Springfield.

20. Evan

Evan Devotee (450) Mar 9, 2012 Maryland
    Trader

Biggie S'mores is on for growler fills at TW McLean.

21. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

With all the Grapefruit "IPAs" all the rage, I wouldn't put it past them to do a Tongue and Cheek joke.

22. smitch09

smitch09 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2013 Maryland

Has love child no 6 already hit the Baltimore area?

23. crow121

crow121 Initiate (149) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Though Perfect Pour had it. Might be worth a call

24. _RL_

_RL_ Disciple (350) Oct 2, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

PP had it Monday with cases left.

needMIbeer likes this.
  25. Slack

Trader

Sadly no luck. Tried WF P Street as well and they still have BGBS and CM but no GBS. Lol, who would have thought the pallets of GBS 2 weeks ago would disappear!

26. SFP04

SFP04 Initiate (49) Dec 12, 2015 Virginia

I think they are going to growler fills there too, but your right, it is going to take a considerable sales volume to keep it worth the investment. Maybe they got a good deal on the rent or something since retail in that area is difficult (I mean how many yoga places can you possibly have!). With the Wendy's/Wells Fargo soon to disappear hopefully that will not affect them. I live within walking distance and hope they can make it work as it will be a cool shop close by.

27. Iamatool

Iamatool Initiate (50) Nov 20, 2015 Maryland

Downtown Crown in G'Burg is tapping a keg of Abraxas and DC Brau OTWOA Imperial IPA on Friday at 5 PM (no growler fills on the Abraxas)

Drew031482 likes this.
  28. kts

kts Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2013 Maryland

Has anyone seen CR WnB in MD outside of Perfect Pour? Looks like it came and went @ PP and I figured it would show up a week or so later everywhere else but haven't seen it anywhere else and the various places I've stopped by recently all seem to have no idea about it/when it might arrive. I haven't seen any posts about it showing up at the usual places in VA either yet.

29. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (736) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Lighthouse in Baltimore had it last week and Max's had it on tap

30. JandJMD

JandJMD Devotee (462) Feb 23, 2013 Maryland

Not in bottle, but Frisco's had it listed on tap earlier this evening.

31. _RL_

_RL_ Disciple (350) Oct 2, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

I think Frisco's has had it listed on tap for a few days.

32. scraff

scraff Initiate (160) Apr 18, 2003 Maryland

I know it's a white whale hunting crowd in here, but the new Southern Tier 2XSmash 6 pack I grabbed yesterday at Perfect Pour was freakin awesome. Just a beautiful all Mosiac DIPA. Fresh 6 packs of Alpine Duet and Hoppy Birthday also great to see. Got a single of each just to try in 12oz form. Anyway--Happy New Year DMV beer friends! :slight_smile:

33. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

rodmans had a bunch of regular GBS and christmas morning last night.

Slack likes this.
  34. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

So whats the verdict on the Alpine 6-packs? I'm willing to plop down the $15.99, but only if it's the real deal.

35. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (81) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland

As of about an hour ago, Lighthouse in Baltimore had Velvet Merkin, Helldorado, and Black Ops behind the counter and 6 pks of Bell's 30th and the Alpine stuff.

VABA likes this.
  36. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Costco in Winchester (yes, redneck central) had Love Child #6 for $16 a bottle...a couple cases left as of Tuesday...

Would think that other Costco's in the area have it as well...$16 is pretty cheap from what I've seen.

37. Hatfield_223

Hatfield_223 Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 Virginia

Just curious, how do you know when they have stuff at the customer service desk? I go in there a few times a week and never realized they were doing this.

As a matter of fact, I was there Tuesday and left w/out buying anything, but definitely would have bought one of those...

38. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (275) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I think it's been said many times here that what we're getting was all brewed at Green Flash. The one in California, not the not yet in production VA one. Does that make it not the real deal?

The Hoppy Birthday and Duet six packs are $11.99 here in VA. The Pure Hoppiness is $17.99. I had a sixer of Pure Hoppiness, it was pretty damn good.

39. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I don't know, that's why I asked. Being that I've never had the original, I wouldn't know if the one brewed at GF is some cheap watered down imitation. But thanks. You kinda answered my question..

40. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,160) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Mine were tasty.

imbrue001 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.