Notch Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by M-Fox24, Jan 11, 2019.

1. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Went to the Biergarten in Essex weekly this summer and have gone to Appleton farm this fall

Is usually only 2 beers that are on and I’ve only seen Czech lager, dog pony and Zwickle

2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,118) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

By Czech lager do you mean Notch Pils?

Sounds like it's just their regular year round line-up available at stores.

LukieBL likes this.
  3. bla211

bla211 Initiate (111) Mar 17, 2015 New York

Probably ‘The Standard’, that’s the Czech Pils they’ve had on recently

4. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Sorry yes, the Pils. I have not seen the Standard at these events unfortunately.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. AlcahueteJ

I was gonna say, outside of the actual tap room I don't think I've ever seen The Standard on tap.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anything other than their Session Pils, Left of the Dial, Zwickel, or Dog and Pony Show on draft around Boston.

At least not for a few years.

6. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (302) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

Likely a leftover from Pils and Love, but Novare Res has The Standard on tap currently.

MattOC and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (117) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've seen a couple of cask ales from Notch at Olde Magoun's and Row34 in the past year, but otherwise that sounds about right.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. AlcahueteJ

When was Pils and Love?

I was at Novare for Zwanze but didn't see it on tap. I would have had a draft to cut through all the acid from the sours.

9. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (302) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

Was on July 20th. They had a pretty large selection of kegs from a number of breweries that attended the event. I'd imagine this keg of The Standard was simply set aside after that weekend to tap when they felt like it.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (975) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Just more good news -

Trull, ManapuaMan, SABERG and 3 others like this.
  11. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (186) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think I speak for the masses when I ask that anyone who spots the Standard on draft somewhere in the wild please report here immediately . I wish I didn't live so far away from Salem.

DucRacer900 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  12. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (128) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

I saw the ig post with poth a helles landbier and a rauchbier in tanks. That’s good.

13. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (120) Nov 18, 2014 New York

Novare Res....probbb not gonna help you....

14. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Yeah that is farther, but thanks. Let's see if I can persuade the Mrs. for a Portland trip.

Brian_Lynch and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. bla211

bla211 Initiate (111) Mar 17, 2015 New York

I see cans around Somerville fairly often (I know that’s not draft)

16. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Also thanks, but that is far from me as well. I guess I may have to make a trade post.

17. braineater

braineater Initiate (126) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

A few kegs trickle out to distro from time to time, but it's not a regular thing. We've poured a few Salem-brewed beers (Voll Projekt Helles Spezial, DDH IPA, Raw Power) at Brewer's Fork in the past year. I was definitely offered kegs of The Standard at some point.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. ChrisLohring

ChrisLohring Initiate (100) Jan 25, 2010 Massachusetts
    Industry

We just took delivery of new lagering tanks, and these will help us get more distro of draft lager in the greater Boston area starting in December. First up will be Černé Pivo, our Czech black lager. We also have German gravity cask (stich fass) nights around Boston with one of the German lagers we brew in Salem.

We sent a few pallets of kegs of the Standard Czech Pils & Zwickel beer to Maine, not sure how much is left, but we'll be shipping more soon.

Trull, ManapuaMan, EnronCFO and 7 others like this.
  19. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Any Chance you can send some kegs out to Central MA?

Witherby likes this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

Or my apartment?

rhino88888888 likes this.
  21. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (130) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

The picture on Notch’s IG account from yesterday afternoon showed a huge line to get into the taproom. Is that typical for weekends up there in October? I know October in Salem is big with tourists. Wife and I will be in Salem today, and she is graciously allowing me a stop at Notch “if I behave”. But she may change her mind if she sees a line like that. What other options do I have? I know there is a Beer Works, but not super excited about that choice.

Note to all the ghouls, goblins, ghosts, et al going to Salem today: please skip Notch so I can get in.

22. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Salem, especially the area around Notch, is super crowded through out September and October. I'd expect today to be especially crowded due to the weather and the MDA Witch Ride.

23. Stormfield

Good God. Full of tourists is an understatement. I will never set foot in Salem during Sept. - Oct. ever again. What a shit show. I knew it got busy up there, but it was about 10x more crowded than I anticipated. And truthfully, there really isn’t much to see. I’ve seen all the “attractions” before, and, well....Anyway, lots of out-of-state plates. Tons of New Yorkers. It has always amazed me that a 300 year-old government-sponsored injustice makes for a good tourist attraction. That’s just me. Can a guy just get a liter of delicious session beer! Throw me a fricken’ bone, Salem!

wasatchback and AirBob like this.
  24. Stormfield

On another note Fodderstompf is quite nice.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

So you made it inside?

Duffman621 likes this.
  26. Stormfield

No...but a friend of mine did get in and brought me a 4 pack. Tried one last night and enjoyed it.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. mhull

mhull Initiate (105) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

28. rhino88888888

Trader

I saw "a plot at the intersection of Soldier’s Field Road and Western Avenue" in the article and thought "Awesome! This is walkable from Harvard/Central!" And then I realized it's the *other* intersection of Soldier's Field Road and Western Ave. Still, a great location and a cool building. I'm glad it will be close to so many bus routes.

29. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (45) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm not familiar with this building - is it on the Boston side of the bridge to Arsenal Street Watertown?

30. dubdrop

dubdrop Zealot (581) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

yes on the boston side- it's an old horse stable that has been boarded/vacant up for years. Great location (and only a 7 minute walk from my office).

Sheppard and AlcahueteJ like this.
  31. Witherby

Witherby Disciple (376) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

32. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (128) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

It's closer than Salem from the Merrimack Valley, but barely ... Damn. I cleaned out my shed for those tanks for nothing.

33. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (85) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Same, I live about 2 miles away and ride by that almost every day....dreams fulfilled!

34. mcjlm

mcjlm Initiate (29) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

yeah this is walking distance from my office and i'm straight up chuffed.

35. AlcahueteJ

I googled this and am I right that it's only about a half mile from Deep Ellum?

36. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

No, more like a mile (and not the prettiest walk or bike ride -- involves crossing the Pike).
    https://goo.gl/maps/nPrn4Q6tg5JuWd9f6

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. rhino88888888

Trader

About halfway between Deep Ellum and Branch Line for those of us who navigate in terms of beer destinations. :-)

38. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Group of friends: Hey, want to check out a new brewery this weekend?
    @huuvola: Nah, walk isn't pretty enough for me.
    Group: Why do we even talk to you?
    :wink:

39. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Don't attack my shitty walk cred! I once walked from Night Shift in Everett to Mystic in Chelsea. Compared to that, the trip from Deep Ellum to Future Notch is a stroll through an idyllic Berkshire meadow. :-)

40. mcjlm

mcjlm Initiate (29) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Also that hypothetical walk goes by Big Daddy's which has the best chicken parm in town.

DucRacer900 and AlcahueteJ like this.