Notch Brewing (2020)

Discussion in 'New England' started by AlcahueteJ, Jan 7, 2020.

1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,185) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Gotta start this thing off right...

I apologize for the clunky post. I figured we can’t post directly from Instagram anymore so I just pieced this together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seakayak, meefmoff, Sheppard and 3 others like this.
  2. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (139) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

My God ... Why can't Kolsch night be every night?!

wasatchback, meefmoff and AlcahueteJ like this.
  3. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,041) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

4. mrmattosgood

Trader

Wait whaaaat? Is Kolsch hitting distro?

5. AlcahueteJ

Yeah you didn't know that?

I think it's been posted before, but might have got lost in another thread or the old Notch one.

I've had their Kölsch before at the tap room. It's uh, really fucking good. This is the best news ever.

6. mrmattosgood

Trader

I must've missed that news because it sounds like something I'd remember, but, alas, I am a drinker and sometimes things get lost up there. My wife claims to tell me tons of things I forget. "Oh, dinner with your sister tonight? This is the first I'm hearing about it."

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  7. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (69) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

How come some of their beers have creative names and others are just called "Kolsch" and the like? I thought it was a Single Series thing at first but I just looked and it isn't that. What if they brew another kolsch? Or is that not a possibility?

8. AlcahueteJ

With all the weird (and sometimes WAY TOO FUCKING LONG) beer names these days, it’s kind of refreshing.

Also traditional Kölsch, at least from what I’ve witnessed/know, isn’t really a style that you make multiple versions of.

Unlike their Czech pale lagers which have varying ABVs, and each ABV might carry a different name (and is technically a different style).

The breweries in Köln don’t make 8 different versions of their Kölsch as far as I know. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. The only thing I can think of is that maybe Notch would produce an unfiltered version of it? But I believe unfiltered Kölsch is actually just called “white” or “Weiss” and isn’t considered “proper” Kölsch.

I actually love this, because it’s contradictory to the whole Julius, JJJJJuuuullliiiuuusss, King Julius, Kkkkkkiiinnnngggg JJJJJuuuulliiiiuuuusss...etc. nomenclature and nonsense.

9. YourDigitalGrave

I thought this might be the case.

I feel like the whole crazy naming thing came along because newer breweries aren't doing one or two beers per style and rotating them like they used to. The clever names would work if a brewery had like 20 beers.
    The new model is to make a "new" beer every week and name it something original that another brewery hasn't used yet which leads to random names that have nothing to do with the beer. It is a tall order when a brewery makes 100+ beers and there are thousands of breweries.

#9 YourDigitalGrave, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    meefmoff and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (446) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's be great if someone started using a password generator to name their beers.

This week's release: Sp@z450!

11. YourDigitalGrave

Correct Horse Battery Staple.

[​IMG]

edit: I checked Untappd, some home brewer already used it.

12. AlcahueteJ

And this is why "Kölsch" is perfectly fine.

Did anyone go to Kölsch night?

13. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (269) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Ayone know when Kolsch is hitting distro?

14. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (369) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Next week per their comment on the Instagram post.

Davl22 likes this.
  15. seakayak

seakayak Defender (678) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Raw Power is my new favorite small IPA. Highly recommended!

[​IMG]

LakesideBrewing and Trull like this.
  16. AlcahueteJ

Have you had Dog and Pony Show?

17. YourDigitalGrave

What is a small ipa?

18. AlcahueteJ

Low ABV I assume.

seakayak likes this.
  19. seakayak

seakayak Defender (678) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I've only had Notch flavors that I can get at Julio's, so no, but I'll look for it.

Left of the Dial, Session Pils, Infinite Jest, and Raw Power have all been stellar.

20. AlcahueteJ

That’s all Julio’s gets?

I can’t imagine they don’t get all of Notch/Voll Projekt’s distributed beers.

The ones you listed are the ones that are year round offerings that only come in boxed six packs and 12 packs.

They might keep the single series stuff and beers like Dog and Pony Show in a separate part of the store. Those are all in 4 pack 16 oz. cans.

Those are also their best offerings in my opinion.

seakayak and mrmattosgood like this.
  21. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (133) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts

I've noticed Notch's distro of the Single Series and Voll stuff is spotty once you get around and past 95. CBC Newton and Westford, and Total Wine Burlington (At least I think on TW) will get it, but places like Julio's, Crafted in Holliston, and TW Natick don't.

AlcahueteJ, seakayak and Sheppard like this.
  22. AirBob

AirBob Defender (664) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm fairly certain Chris Lohring or someone else from Notch confirmed this in a thread from last year.

23. ChrisLohring

ChrisLohring Initiate (107) Jan 25, 2010 Massachusetts
    Industry Brewery

Our Single Series will see some distro west and south of Boston a bit this year (you should see Kolsch in those areas).

Should see it north of Boston now, Boston area next week.

I was in the UK recently and saw many of the brewers using "small" to describe their lower ABV options. I like it, it's the opposite of big and easy to explain.

meb3476, mcjlm, mrmattosgood and 9 others like this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

And in my belly next weekend.

People also won’t argue about its definition on these boards over and over again *cough* *session* *cough*.

meefmoff, seakayak and mrmattosgood like this.
  25. celeriac

celeriac Initiate (77) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts

Anyone have thoughts on the quality of the contract-brewed 12 packs of Raw Power vs the previous small batches from Salem? I’m keeping my eyes peeled and feeling hopeful for a truly delicious high-value low ABV hoppy pale...

seakayak likes this.
  26. celeriac

celeriac Initiate (77) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts

Checking back in to answer my own question. Raw power 12s are damn good and a terrific value, will definitely become a staple in my fridge. If I were to nitpick, I might look for a touch more pungency, but given the cost of these hops and a price of under $1.50/can, I can’t complain at all.

Also, the kolsch - holy cow is that tasty.

27. AlcahueteJ

Sure is.

Picked up two 4 packs myself.

meefmoff likes this.
  28. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (314) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Woooooo.......,Metal night at Notch \m/

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. mrmattosgood

Trader

DmN I’ve struck out on the Kolsch. Merrimack Valley ... where’s it at!?

30. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (99) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I just grabbed the last four pack at Andover Liquors. Give them a call, hopefully they’re getting more.

AlcahueteJ, Sheppard and mrmattosgood like this.
  31. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (142) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Finding Notch in my corner of the state is literally impossible. I live in the Easton, Mansfield, Norton area. All the stores I buy buy beer from do not get it. I have asked all of them to get some. None have been able, and all have blamed the distributor. It’s so disappointing.

32. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (89) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just picked up another 4 pack of the Kolsch at CBC Belmont, looks like they had at least 4 more.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Is there some kind of weird law where you're just not allowed to have anything good in that area?

Stormfield likes this.
  34. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (142) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

That is, in a nutshell, the crux of the problem. I really couldn’t agree with you more.

35. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I moved from Boston to Franklin a few years ago and I feel your pain. Notch used to be one of my always-on-hand brands. When I came down here I didn't often come across any, and worse, it seems like now I pretty much never do. It feels like a double loss, in that I also appreciated having a go-to brand that specializes in lower ABV brew and there's nothing to fill that niche for me now.

36. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Zealot (508) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Any BA who has consumed large amounts of Notch and Fox Farm? Thinking that’s a stretch as FF is brewery/draft only. Just curious how their lagers compare. I absolutely love FF but am also jealous that Notch is not distributed in CT.

37. ticker_

ticker_ Initiate (15) Feb 22, 2019 Massachusetts

Are you still looking? The CBC in Westford had at least six 4pks left as of yesterday afternoon.

38. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,041) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

[​IMG]

39. YourDigitalGrave

None of the usual pilheads commented about this yet?

40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,693) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Quick question for folks in the Boston area: how widely distributed are the Notch cans? Specifically, would my friend in Hull have reasonable access to any?