Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Comment Notifications for deleted posts?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by coreymcafee, Feb 24, 2012.

1. coreymcafee

Beer Trader

Quick question...if you have a post that gets deleted, are you notified in any way? I posted yesterday and went back to find the post to update, and all I get when go to the post is an error message (clicked link from both emailed response-tracker and google search).

Just trying to figure out if this is a potential issue with the new site or if the post was deleted. I've never had a post deleted before so I don't know what happens.

2. nicnut45

I'm wondering the same thing. A notification of why it was deleted would be nice.

3. devlishdamsel

I've also had about three or four vanish in the last day or so. They were very non offensive and respectful, so I am wondering if there's another issue.

4. Hanzo

You get no notification unless you are in trouble for your post, then you get an instant message saying what you did wrong. Otherwise, if it wasn't offensive and just off topic or silly or something your post or thread just disappears.

5. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber

If a post was reported (by another BA) for a rule violation the user will get notified via an auto-warning (if mods agree with the report) and the content will be removed, otherwise there's no notification. We could turn on alerts/conversations upon deletion, but it's automated and doesn't provide a reason.

If an entire thread gets removed, so do the replies with no notifications; that's just how it works.

6. Todd

Todd Founder

Pretty much, and providing a reason by starting a conversation would be a general waste of everyone's time in most cases.

7. Todd

Todd Founder

We can also do public warnings with reasons, but that would mean leaving the content up ... when in most cases it should be removed.

8. Hanzo

So when a post is reported it automatically warns the poster? But the content is reviewed by a moderator before it is removed to make sure the complaint was valid right?

9. Todd

Todd Founder

User reports content > Mod reviews the report/content > Warning issued/conversation > Content deleted.

Otherwise report is ignored if we don't agree.

10. Hanzo

Gotcha. This just sounded like it was a done deal once they clicked report the poster would get an alert in their inbox.

11. Todd

Todd Founder

Yeah, I updated the post. It's not auto on report.

Hanzo likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe