Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

November 2017 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jmdrpi, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,539) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

My last bottle of Weyerbacher Sixteen. Dark Braggot Ale, brewed in 2011.

Very dark brown, almost black, ruby highlights shine through though. Off white head that sticks around. Nice aroma of wildflower honey and molasses. Taste is somehow bold and smooth at the same time. Some dark malt flavor, but also mellow honey. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slick and smooth. This has aged very well. Wish I had more.

[​IMG]

2. argock

argock Poo-Bah (2,770) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia
    Subscriber

2010 Lagunitas Gnarlywine
    Stored at 65-70F out of light
    Murky amber with low carbonation but leaves some lacing. Smells like slightly woody caramel with a little tobacco and earthiness. Flavor is delicious with medium caramel, fig, raisin, and light hop herbal character with slightly sweet alcohol on the back end. Feel is excellent with a bit of reserved carbonation and very smooth. Need to restock if the higher-ups still allow this to be brewed. purchased back in the day for $4.49!

3. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2010 Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale- 22 oz bottle, bottle conditioned

murky dark brown with amber highlights, off-white colored head that fades. aroma of brown sugar and booze, maybe some earthy spice. taste is still somewhat hot, which is crazy for 7 years old. caramel, brown sugar, cola. medium bodied, a little oily.

Overall, much better than fresh. It was way too boozy fresh.

4. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2011 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

slightly cloudy very dark amber colored, thick cream colored head. good lacing. aroma is earthy, pine, mint. taste is fairly bitter, those same flavors on top of caramel malt. a bit of oxidation as well. just okay tasting. medium bodied.

5. argock

Subscriber

2015 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Medium murk with short beige cap of head.
    Aroma is mostly medium and medium-dark caramel malts with citrus and pine hopping and light booze.
    Flavor is really surprisingly very good with caramel malts galore and complex hoppiness with pine, grapefruit and orange citrus, and that mellow woody herbal note that is a signature quality of SN Bigfoot.
    Lush feel with big body and low carbonation.
    I think I should be buying more of this and drinking it at 2-3 years. Really enjoyable cellared beer.

westlaunboy, TheGent, Mongrel and 7 others like this.
  6. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,198) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

One of the best aged, in my opinion. Try one at 10 years and you will be blown away!

TheGent, Bitterbill and argock like this.
  7. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2012 Oscar Blues Ten Fidy

jet black, pours like oil. nice dark tan head. aroma is chocolate, mild roast, a touch of smoke. the flavor is very nice - similar flavors but well melded together and drinks like a low abv beer. body is full, but the mouthfeel is slick and silky. Overall - in a great spot at just about 5 years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2012 GI Pere Jacques - dated 3/22/12

slightly murky medium brown. tan head that fades fast. aroma is toffee and dark fruits - black cherry, raisin, fig. taste is mildly sweet. thin to medium bodied. Overall pretty good at slightly past the recommended 5 year best by date.

[​IMG]

9. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2013 GI Bourbon County Brand Barleywine - bottled 24 Sept 13

12 oz bottle into a snifter. murky dark brown colored, with a layer of dark tan color that fades to a thin ring. huge aroma vanilla, raisins, oak, burnt sugar. wonderful. similar taste- very deep and complex malt flavors, but not very sweet. fuller bodied, coats the mouth but still drinks nice. overall a great beer at 4+ years.

[​IMG]

10. youradhere

youradhere Devotee (490) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Brux- Russian River and Sierra Nevada collaboration. Not sure of the year, but I bought this bottle when it first hit shelves- 2012 I think?

Pours crystal clear deep golden with amber hues, minimal lacing rings the glass, carbonation constantly bubbles like champagne. Smells of apricots and nectarines, bright pineapple, slight sweet funk, with a deep sweet fruity finish and a hint of butterscotch. Taste is vinous and bright, slight tropical fruit with a balanced lacto-pithy twang, slight sulphur, and almost medicinal/menthol quality that is barely perceptible on the back-end. Mouthfeel is off-dry, smooth body with prickly and clean finish. Over all a nice clean drinker, very pleasant and diverse flavors keep you entertained as you drink.

11. CoreyC

CoreyC Aspirant (261) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I found this sweet fresh and at one year (which I like) - do you think this lost sweetness over time?

12. jmdrpi

Subscriber

yeah, I would say so.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  13. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (347) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

2 years was a beautiful spot for Peres Jaques to me. Flavor profile sounds about the same to me with maybe more breadiness but it kept its body.

VABA and jmdrpi like this.
  14. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,198) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

1999 Westvleteren 12.

Almost no carbonation on the pour, which is of course odd for one of these. Nose is heavily oxidized - a ton of metallic notes coming through. Slight dark fruit. Really not a nice nose - off-putting to the max. Taste is surprisingly better than the nose. Getting much deeper dark fruit - figs, cherries, blackberries. Syrupy. No carbonation, and more of a port/sherry flavor comes through. Getting some caramel and vanilla notes. From all of the bad things I have heard about aging the 12, I am pleasantly surprised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. toolbrew

toolbrew Crusader (700) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Subscriber Beer Trader

2015 Goose Island Bourbon County Rare
    (21Sep15 1507)

Enjoyed over a period of 90 minutes. Poured into two Rare Day snifters. Bottle cap showed signs of possible oxidation. Smell was chocolate and sweet malts. Small, thin head that dissipated quickly. Taste was dark chocolate, sweet, and minor vanilla. Thick mouthfeel. No heat or strong bourbon flavor. Until the last few sips this was very good - became bitter towards the end...almost astringent.

I stored this in the fridge for the last year or so. I suggest drinking soon but, a buddy drank one recently and said it was solid all the way through.

ManapuaMan, Bitterbill and argock like this.
  16. argock

Subscriber

That’s the goal - I’ve got some 2010s stashed for just that reason. I was surprised how much I liked this fairly fresh. I agree with those that say 1 yr old SN Bigfoot is weird and not too great.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  17. youradhere

Beer Trader

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 2012

Pours black with amber edges, looks to be clear from the lighted edges; small prickly head, leaves ring of lacing. Smells of vanilla and whiskey, bitter chocolate, dark rum, molasses, still some heat coming through the nose. Tastes of bitter chocolate genache, the heat of the alcohol trick me into thinking I am picking up whiskey-like flavors, slight molasses. The mouthfeel is heavy yet dry, with alcohol heat still creeping up to warm you with each sip, slight carbonation prickles your tongue and picks up with the alcohol heat. This is a bitter chocolate lovers delight, with the alcohol learning to play nice with the sugars- based off of the heat I would assume this is still early for the beer at 5 years.

TheGent, Mongrel, argock and 3 others like this.
  18. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (251) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

Also cracked open a 2015 SN Bigfoot

Look: murky brownish orange, bubbly with a thin tan head that sticks around

Smell: deep malts with a citrus hoppiness thrown in for good measure

Taste: A deep sweet malt, toffee, slight molasses flavor pervades but there is also a sizable hop bitterness present that manifests itself in citrus and a bit of pine flavor.

Feel: thick, smooth, and enough carbonation to balance things out.

Overall: an exceptional beer, fairly well balanced but still more hop presence than I expected. Would like to put a few more years on one of these bottles and see how it shakes out.

19. toolbrew

Subscriber Beer Trader

2013 Deschutes Abyss
    Best after date 9/16/2014

Poured into two snifters. Definite signs of oxidation in the cap and muted aromas of chocolate and dark fruits. Oxidized tastes in the beginning - almost wet cardboard. But, after it sat out for a while the oxidation gave way to chocolate with a bitter finish. Thick mouthfeel and a dry finish. This may be a little past its prime.

20. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2012 Dogfish Head Olde School

5 years has greatly improved this brew. pours a cloudy medium brown color with orange highlights, thin off-white head that fades to a thin ring. big malty aroma - raisin, toffee, some fruit - plum, black cherry. taste is moderately sweet. really no trace of the booze of the 15% abv. slick feel, medium bodied.

[​IMG]

21. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,546) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Interesting, I've never had oxidation in any bottle of The Abyss I've ever had (& I've had a lot of them!), & we've had them up to 7 years old. I just stuck a bottle of 2011 in the fridge, I'll have to get to that soon.

Bitterbill likes this.
  22. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Disciple (338) May 20, 2013 Colorado

Glad someone opened one and posted. Reviews have been AWFUL over the years, so just kept mine in cold cellar storage...maybe I'll give it a go. Thanks for the review.

youradhere likes this.
  23. toolbrew

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah I was thrown off too - especially with the wax. Any older bottles I’ve had (although not 2009, and I can’t recall drinking a separate aged bottle of 2013) tasted fine. I’m going to crack a 2014 tonight and will report back to this thread.

Bitterbill and Beersnake1 like this.
  24. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Champion (890) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Last night I had this beauty.

Alaskan Smoked Porter 2015

4.33/5 rDev +4.3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2015 Vintage

Pours a nice black color. Very minimal head when poured from the bottle. What little there is is white.
    The nose has got pleasing hints of smoke on it.
    Taste mellow up front, then the pleasing smoke flavor comes in and lingers.
    Feel is moderate.
    Overall quite delcious, and it's good to see that this beer holds up well with age.

347 characters

Bitterbill, argock and wilymobastardo like this.
  25. AirBob

AirBob Defender (648) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jack's Abby - Barrel Aged Framinghammer (2014)

One finger of dense khaki head with a foamy, rolling top. Quickly dissipates to a lopsided cap and collar. A bit oily. Pitch black body. Hints of brown and ruby are barely apparent around the edges of the glass.

The nose has subdued notes of fudge, berry (similar to what I pick up in a fruity coffee), slight oxidation. Bourbon and barrel notes are no longer apparent.

Taste follows the nose - subdued notes of fudge and berry-forward coffee to start. I'm picking up on some prickly or boozey vanilla notes in the middle. Finishes more boldly with coffee, caramel, and tons of rich dark chocolate. Like the nose, the bourbon qualities are no longer present.

Feel starts thin and watery to start but finishes fuller with coffee-like bitterness. Low carbonation for the style.

This may be one of my favorite beers fresh. Age has changed it quite a bit. I still prefer it fresh, but cellering provide a interesting and tasty outcome.

Here are my notes from a fresh bottle of the same vintage:

Notes from 7/13/14 - Consumed from a snifter

A: 1/2 inch of dark khaki-colored head which quickly dissipates. Body is the color of flat cola.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, caramel/brulee, rich chocolate

T: Bourbon, molasses, vanilla, chocolate coffee ice cream. Slightly boozy. As it warms there's more bourbon and caramel sweetness.

M: A little thin on the front but turns syrupy on the back. Slight numbness from the booze.

O : Sweet and sippable. I enjoyed it less as it warmed, but delicious nevertheless.

26. toolbrew

Subscriber Beer Trader

2014 Deschutes Abyss
    Best after 11/10/2015

Poured into two snifters - dark black with a dark tan head that dissipated quickly. Smell is sweet chocolate, dark fruits, some barrel. Taste of chocolate, port, sweet dark fruits (figs?), and some tobacco as it warms. Silky smooth, full bodied mouthfeel, and easy to drink. This is the abyss I remember! Aged wonderfully and much better than the 2013 I had last night. Wish I had another bottle.

27. youradhere

Beer Trader

If you have more than one then definitely open one now- it’s an easy drinker. Not sure how the flavors will develop, I think I can vaguely recall medicinal/olive notes real heavy in it fresh, but that drink/memory was 5years ago so that probably isn’t accurate.

28. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Disciple (338) May 20, 2013 Colorado

Last time I opened was a gusher...so anything beats that. That was at least three years ago though...cheers.

29. jstilwell

jstilwell Disciple (328) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

have a bunch of 09' cans I need to investigate :slight_smile:

30. argock

Subscriber

2010 Brooklyn Monster Ale
    A: Decanted murky, like iced coffee without the ice, with no head
    S: Caramel and cola aromas
    T: Brooklyn's yeast flavors are off the charts in this beer. I tried this with some tangy semi-sharp farmhouse cheddar and the caramel notes with the lightly spicy yeast contributions come through even late in the finish. There is a touch of paper/cardboard in the finish too, but the fig and date notes along with the range of caramel and light herbal hopping with firm bitterness is a solid combo.
    M: Full, round, low carbonation of course
    O: I still have a few more of these bottles to pull out. It is time to grab a few more!

31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

Excellent year of The Abyss.

32. youradhere

Beer Trader

Hair of the Dog- Adam Bier Batch 88 (2013 I think?)

Pours deep clear mahogany with thick soft head, the head lasts and lasts, collapsing to a thick crust. Smell is amazing- coconut, whiskey, milk chocolate, coffee, anise. Taste is deep espresso coffee and dark chocolate, whiskey oak, coconut, almond. Mouthfeel is thick and silky smooth, prickly carbonation hides deep within. Overall very good, decadent and rich, fantastic now and for a few more years I’d wager.

33. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2011 Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

slightly murky pour, medium brown. thin cream colored head that fades. caramel, spiced rum, earthy hops. still a bit boozy, which is crazy after 6 years. nice malt flavor, and an underlying bitterness. spicy, herbal. sticky mouthfeel.
    [​IMG]

34. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (347) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2013 Third Coast Ale: murky brown, quickly fading head, caramelized dates on the nose, tastes of dates up front followed by a malty backbone, ends with a vodka infused mix of bbq plums. Body is still medium with a decent amount of carbonation. Happy where its at but will hold on to my remaining bottles. This hasn't passed its prime yet, i think it can go several more years.

35. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (289) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

2013 BCBS

Let's just say if the 2015 or 2016 versions turn out half this good in 2-3 more years, we are in for a real treat.

This was aged at ~50 degrees since I obtained it in 2014. Sweeter than I remember it being fresh, which is surprising. Not boozy, zero heat. I get some vanilla, chocolate, and slight carmel.

Amazing. My last one, sigh.
    4.75/5.

JimmyTheDook, FBarber, jrnyc and 7 others like this.
  36. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (251) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

An unlikely candidate I didn't check the date when purchasing at a new store so I ended up with an Oskar Blues G'knight imperial red IPA canned on 7/4/16

Look: hazy orange with a huge tan head and tons of lacing.

Smell: big tropical fruit, grassiness, toffee, caramel and malts on the nose

Taste: toffee, caramel, malts with a hint of hoppiness and bit of booze. Similar to a mellow barleywine

Feel: medium low carbonation, pretty smooth

Overall: this one has turned into something between a strong ale and a barleywine, not great but not a drain pour, it's 8.7% abv has kept this one on life support

Bitterbill and Beer_Economicus like this.
  37. bl00

bl00 Aspirant (244) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Got to enjoy a glass of Victory Java Cask from 2016 over the weekend.

2016 bottle. Nose is chocolate, lots of depth to this note, some heat at the end. Taste is a combination of cocoa, bourbon and coffee. Mouthfeel was thick, lingering with sweetness and whiskey. Overall I was surprised by the heat on this after a year, though this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the brew.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    4.58/5

38. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Definitely, decided to crack open one tonight that was bottled just over 8 years ago.

2009 Bell's Third Coast Old Ale. Batch #9458

Dark mahogany in color, fairly clear when held up to the light, after the sediment settles down from the pour. Not much head. Nice aroma - rich caramel, dark fruits. Taste is similar, but barely sweet anymore, and finishes with a touch smoke. The carbonation is fading, the body feels a bit syrupy.

[​IMG]

39. TheGent

TheGent Zealot (564) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Thanksgiving Day WBAYDN X Post

A: See pic above

S: Fresh lemon rind, Welch's grape juice, earthy nuttiness, Pinot Noir (reminds me of one I had recently, hence the specificity), musty basement, fresh sourdough.

M: Acqeous and effervescent.

T: Bright, pleasant acidity with notes of white vinegar and lemon juice, followed by fruitier notes of Granny Smith apple, white peach, under ripe plum, kiwi, with some earthy and funkier notes of nuttiness.

D: If I could drink this with every meal, every day for the rest of my life I would. It's not as complex or funky as the Mariage Parfait, but it's just so drinkable and approachable. If you like the flavor profile Boon Geuze you'll enjoy this beer.

Hope to be contributing more to this thread when I dip into the cellar.

Happy Thanksgiving

40. jmdrpi

Subscriber

2016 Free Will Brown Beard.

This was a bit hot last year, so I stashed the last couple bottles in the cellar.

Dark brown in color, clear. Off white colored head. Aroma of spiced rum, coffee, and toffee. Similar flavor, mildly sweet. A touch of roast. Medium bodied. Less boozy now. But overall I actually prefer the regular COB to this barrel aged version.

[​IMG]

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.