November 2018 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Beersnake1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,881) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

2012 Trois Pistoles by Unibroue. Noticeably less head. Nose is plums, figs, toffee. A real treat. Taste is almost port like. WAY less carbonation as when fresh. Totally different beer, in my opinion. Lots of dark fruit, caramel. Less yeast. The flavor actually got a bit odd as it warmed a bit. The oxidation really came through at this point. A bit of soy sauce as well. Overall, this should be consumed before 6 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

argock, Bitterbill, cavedave and 8 others like this.
  2. strohme2

strohme2 Champion (853) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Bottled 09/26/16 this is Short’s Black Cherry Porter. It’s been one of my favorites from Short’s, not bottled in 2017 or ‘18 (yet?).
    Sorry for the bad picture.
    [​IMG]
    Pours a generous black with finely bubbled bead of flat tan. Leaves a good amount of lacing. Tart cherry and pits, leather and tobacco, some ash on the nose. Tart cherry first leads to ash, a bit of roast, and smoke. Bitter chocolate when I breathe out. Smoothly carbonated, lingering tart cherry. I think I like it better with less age but still drinking very nice. Hope it makes it into a bottle for 2019.

argock, TheGent, Bitterbill and 6 others like this.
  3. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (477) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

North Coast Old Stock Ale 2013 Cellar Reserve Aged in Bourbon Barrels

Revisiting this bad boy plus another year. Poured into a DFH tulip, the carbonation is greatly reduced with a very small head over a light mahogany body. It doesn't taste flat though. It still smells and tastes great, with maybe more molasses and dark fruit coming forward while the booze and barrel are still there although diminished to a more reasonable level. Maybe I've been spoiled since the last time I've had this but the mouthfeel is less substantial than what I was expecting. There's a local bottle shop with a 2012 for sale; I'm not sure how much they're charging but I'm guessing it's more than I want to pay. I've got 3 non barrel aged from 2012 in my cellar, and lots of subsequent years, so I'll probably stick with those. But that doesn't take away from this being a great experience.

argock, TheGent, Bitterbill and 7 others like this.
  4. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,271) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Getting into a 2011 DFH olde school BW which was generously gifted to me, with other vintage BW, by @Ahonky.

Very smooth at this point with little to no fusel alcohol characteristics remaining. Feel is perfect for style, carbonation is low but still lively enough to give this a surprisingly deft and nimble feel on the tongue. Medium body falling just a hair on the lighter side, which also helps drinkability. A few chunky floaties here and there. Not the deepest flavor, but extremely enjoyable, bringing raisin, date, brown sugar and a hint of bitter hops just barely perceptible in the finish. Worlds away from fresher bottles, definitely the kind of beer to grab a bunch of and forget for a looong time.

I enjoyed this one a lot. Not the deepest most profound barleywine you'll come across but a perfect cellar candidate. Feels like this could have gone a decade without a problem, easily.

argock, TheGent, Bitterbill and 8 others like this.
  5. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Fyodor's Classic from Stone. This is from 2014 and has been at cellar temp since it was released. I absolutely loved this beer fresh. Nose is bourbon, chocolate, licorice, and roasted malts. Taste is incredible. Still amazing - tons of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, roasted malts, toffee, and black licorice. This has aged beautifully.

[​IMG]

argock, TheGent, Bitterbill and 11 others like this.
  6. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (1,801) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Drinking a Deschutes Black Butte XXVI from 2014 that was a random find in cold storage at a shop in Michiana. Very little oxidation evident, only a slight hint of cardboard on the early palate. Still pours as I remember it fresh, with a full finger of head on a dark brown but translucent body. The pomegranate molasses and cranberry are still also pretty evident, which was a pleasant surprise to me. The nibs and vanilla, less so. Not much barrel or bourbon character, either. All in all, though, still very nicely balanced after four years.

TheGent, Bitterbill, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  7. toolbrew

toolbrew Zealot (571) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

2016 Surly Darkness - 09/09/16

Waxed bottle with cerberus label. Poured into a snifter. Thick tan head to start, faded into slight ring with residual lacing. Roast malt aromas. Great roasty sweet chocolatey taste and slightly bitter finish. Great mouthfeel - not overly thick, and certainly not thin. This is an incredible stout and holding up remarkably well after two years. Would definitely seek this out - still a classic!

8. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Adam batch 80 from 2010. Pours a nice dark brown with a good amount of tan head. Nose is really nice. Smooth, nutty, cherries, nutmeg. Taste is much better than the nose. Huge burst of toffee, leather, tree sap, cherries, wood, smoke, maple. Really nice mouthfeel. This is just a great beer to age, and I will save my other 2 from this batch for a few more years.

[​IMG]

9. CaptainHate

2017 Bell's Third Coast Old Ale

4.02/5 rDev -2.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 ounce bottled on 10/11/2017 into a DFH tulip. Small head over a cherry mahogany body which dissipated quickly with little lacing. Smell got much more pronounced as it warmed up since I started this in a very cold attic before moving to a warmer setting. Smell was of nicely sweet fruit with a slight, not overpowering, booze tinge. Taste was more hoppy than the smell but it in no way detracted from the sweet flavors. Absolutely no alcohol burn. Mouthfeel was fine albeit slightly thin.

Overall this was a bit of a letdown because my hopes maybe were higher than was reasonable. Then again, maybe additional aging will get this to the point I wanted it to be since this is still young. Will revisit this in a year.

10. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Consecration. At 5 years, this is fantastic. Pours a nice dark brown with head that almost instantaneously disappears. Nose is incredible. Funk, citrus, sour, leather, and dark fruit. Taste is mouth puckering. What a beauty. Smoother than fresh. Doesn't have the edge, but nice and tart and sour. Cherries, grapes, bark, leather, barnyard funk, saddle, and a touch of citrus peel. Really great.

[​IMG]

11. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Bois aged in new French oak barrels. Poured from fridge temp, but allowed to warm. This is now 5 years old. Almost no head retention. Pours a super dark brown - almost black. Huge amount of toffee on the nose. A lot of oak and dark fruit coming through. Mostly blackberries. A touch of vanilla and spice coming through. Taste is absolutely incredible. I'm getting some interesting tobacco notes right from the start. A smoky taste is right there as well. The toffee is dominant, and I would say the dark fruit is a bit less dominant compared to the nose. That said, cherries and blackberries come through. A touch of spice, charred oak, raisin, Belgian yeast, and bourbon. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Overall, this is phenomenal, especially at 5 years. I never tried it fresh, so I have no comparison. However, I had plenty of regular Bois fresh and aged, and this is right there.

[​IMG]

12. CaptainHate

Dogfish Head Oak Aged Siracusa Nera 10/11/2017

The positive changes I noted on 7/7 continue in place: there has been no reduction in the carbonation when poured into a DFH tulip. Smell was still lacking for a big stout just after the pour after being stored at 50 degrees, but as it warmed up I got a nice wine aroma over the stout malts. The taste is still not at the level of the top tier RISs but it seems like a typical DFH experiment, which is not meant as a slam because imo they do things with a lot of integrity. I still don't detect much barrel per se so I guess the wine smell and taste is what it is. Mouthfeel is fine for this sipper. I still have one left that I'll crack open at some point in the future because there's been no deterioration that I can detect.

13. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Barleywine. Poured from cellar temp (about 52 degrees). This is amazing when it's not freezing cold. Taste and nose is overwhelming caramel. Nose also has some nice malts, vanilla, candy, and dark fruit (cherries). Taste is bourbon, dark fruit, a touch of lactose, sweet malts, and toffee. Amazing.

[​IMG]

14. AirBob

AirBob Defender (630) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Had my last bottle of '13 in September. One of my favorites of all time and consistently excellent through out the last 5 years - really enjoyable aging experience.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  15. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2014 Bourbon County. Still have a few bottles of '14, so I figured I should start clearing out in anticipation of the upcoming release. Poured from fridge temp. Not much head on this one. Nose has a great amount of bourbon, lots of black licorice, roasted malts, a touch of coffee, and some toffee. The dark fruits (cherries and blackberries) come through as well. The taste has a slight bitterness - but still rich with dark chocolate, bourbon, roast, vanilla, toffee, cherries, licorice, and smoke. To be honest, I am preferring the '13 right now.

[​IMG]

argock, jrnyc, JMN44 and 8 others like this.
  16. CaptainHate

2014 Americano Stout: Stone Brewing Co.

4.34/5 rDev +5.1%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This 10/16/2014 bottle was a gift from a friend who relocated and had to empty her beer fridge; lucky me! Since I'm not aware of what this tastes like fresh, I'm guessing that it was hoppier fresh but that's the extent of my assumptions.

Poured into a DFH tulip, it's a black body with a finger sized tan head. Even straight from a 50 degree fridge the coffee smell dominates everything. As it warms you get chocolate and vanilla and even a boozy aroma. The taste is flat out coffee with some stout malt char. Mouthfeel is very creamy and pleasant. For a not big alc stout this was a very positive experience. Even though I don't know what this tasted like fresh there's no sign that four years has had any obvious negative impact. Based on my grade compared to the average, maybe aging has been positive.

17. CaptainHate

2017 Founders KBS

Poured in an Abbey long stemmed tulip. I think this is very balanced now and am thinking of gradually finishing the 2017s between now and late spring 2019 to ward off any off tastes or the barrel tastes disappearing and it becoming something less pleasing than it currently is. Then again, further aging might do something unexpectedly pleasant.

Help me out, guys; what do you recommend?

#17 CaptainHate, Nov 13, 2018 at 2:57 AM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM
  18. strohme2

Trader

[​IMG]
    If ya can’t see it, that’s Expedition bottled 7/26/13. I love this beer with at least a year on it to mellow out some of the heat and bitterness. At just over 5 years here, not sure what to expect but hoping for great things.
    Poured into tulip at 40 or so degrees, letting it warm up to cellar temp.
    Just as fresh, pours a thick black. Here just a minimal head of mocha foam. Molasses, baker’s chocolate, black licorice nose.
    Rich bittersweet chocolate, decent amount of roast, charred marshmallow (mostly char, not so much ‘mallow). Still has that velvety smooth mouthfeel that I love. Low carbonated which is where it needs to be. Turned out to be a great bottle. That said, I have a 2010 bottle that I’ll open in 2020. Really optimistic on that one now.

19. strohme2

Trader

As I remember 2017 was really coffee heavy. IMO, fresh was best for that one, although I have 8 or so left too that I’ve been slowly drinking. The oldest KBS I’ve had was 5 years old. At that point, for me, it’s a completely different beer but still one that is enjoyable and not a failed experiment. Only one way to find out for your personal tastes!

BigIslandfarmer and CaptainHate like this.
  20. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (220) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

AVBC Huge Arker (2014 or 2015)
    **Note: Just saw this thread, and I drank this last week during my weekly beer & cigars hangout. There never was a date on the bottle, but I know I've been sitting on this bottle somewhere between 3-4 years at this point.**
    Carbonation has dropped of quite a bit and while there is still a hint of the bourbon, it has fallen off significantly compared to the 2 year old bottle I had 18 months ago. More of the oak has come out and given it a slight bit more vanilla, which was nice, but the beer also lost some body/mouthfeel. 4.0/5.0 for this bottle, whereas the fresh to 2 year old bottles I would still give a 4.75/5.0

21. CaptainHate

Founders Curmudgeon 12/30/16

Poured into a long stemmed tulip the color seemed unchanged and the carbonation was still fine. Oak smell has faded more into just a nice sweetness. Just a sweet sipper with the bitterness even less prominent in the back end. This has aged nicely.

22. WisestWizard

WisestWizard Initiate (15) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

Great to hear! I bought some this year to age, and now I'm even more excited to try them in a few years.

CaptainHate likes this.
  23. CaptainHate

Just to be clear, this was the regular Curmudgeon and not the Better Half.

24. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2014 W00tstout 2.0. Nose is chocolate, nuts, sweet malts, dark fruit, licorice, and brown sugar. Really inviting. Taste is super smooth dark (slightly bitter) chocolate, a bit of roasted malts, brown sugar, molasses, lactose, raisin, cherry, and some dark licorice. Mouthfeel is insanely creamy and thick. Overall, this has aged nicely.

[​IMG]

25. CaptainHate

2017 Omne Trium Perfectum: The Bottlehouse Brewery

4.39/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've been sitting on this bottle for a year and decided that after my car broke down today and I've walked miles in the cold windy rain, I should treat myself to this tonight. Since there are no notes in the summary, I should provide some context: although this is categorized as an American Brown Ale, that is very misleading by itself. The label describes it as a Bourbon Barrel Brown with coffee, cacao and vanilla beans.

Poured into a DFH tulip, it has a dark reddish brown body topped by a small light tan head that doesn't really go away. The ingredients give it a rich coconut smell in which, at times, you can detect the individual parts but why bother; just enjoy the whole thing. The taste is similar but in it you can discern the components more, particularly the coffee on the back end. Having had a Stone Americano Stout earlier this week, the coffee here is much more understated, surely reflecting lighter beans and smaller quantities used so to stay in balance with the rest. Mouthfeel was a bit thin for this but that's a small quibble.

I don't think I had this fresh so I can't judge the impact that aging it a year accomplished other than this was a very good experience.

26. CaptainHate

2012 Old Stock Ale North Coast Brewing

I found a four pack of 2012 vintage two years ago and immediately snagged it. Nothing in my cellar exists in the sheer numbers that Old Stock Ale does. Even after appreciating the wonder of big stouts this is still an automatic purchase like breathing. I polished off one of these bad boys last summer as part of a vertical, and now it's the second one.

Poured into a long stemmed tulip, the color has gone from gold to a reddish tan with perhaps less carbonation but things are far from flat. Smell is just full of vanilla tinged dark fruit. Taste delivers the total goods. There is no sign of oxidation or cardboard flavors or any of the other signs that maybe aging this beyond a point was pushing it too much. There's no reason to not keep this going; if things turn bad, there are more recent years to set a limit to.

27. bl00

bl00 Disciple (309) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Cross posting from the BIF thread this beer originated from.

Bell's Third coast 2015 Old Ale. Pours a color somewhere between mahagony and ruby, half finger of tan head, mostly fine bubbles. The head does not dissipate.
    Nose is cedar, red apple, something like allspice. There is a sweet note at the back, it reminds me of vanilla but writing it off like that doesn't do it justice. As it warms I get more red wine notes.
    Taste is raisin, bitter cinnamon, light notes of apple and orange, woody finish. Winey notes again as it warms.
    Mouthfeel is full, soft carb, finishing dry.
    This beer is really complex and just as enjoyable. Broadly speaking it checks all boxes of a good barleywine, though there are some other notes that make it stand out. I don't believe I've had it fresh but now its time to seek it out

28. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Trappistes Rochefort 10. Best before September of this year. Nose is amazing. Raisin, plum, toffee, candy, spice. Taste is super smooth. Rich toffee, plum, raisin, cherry, apple, malts, nuts, and a touch of spice. This has aged really nicely over 5 years.

[​IMG]

29. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Not a typical beer stored in a cellar! This was bottled in 2014, so now over 4 years old. Was aged by accident. The good news? It actually tastes pretty good! The nose is mint, toffee, malts, maybe a touch of hops. The taste is mellow. Sweet caramel, a touch of citrus peel bitterness - the hop ghosts? A bit of pine, sap, and leather. Overall, very drinkable!

[​IMG]

argock and CaptainHate like this.
  30. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Tumbler from Sierra Nevada. Poured from fridge temp. Pours dark brown with tan head. Nose is clove oil, peppermint, cinnamon, and toffee. Maybe a touch of fig. Taste is sweet, brown sugar, clove oil, caramel, herbal notes, tree trunk, slight bitterness, malts, bread, nuts, cinnamon, and a bit of maple. Mouthfeel is nice and medium bodied. Overall, a great beer that has aged well.

[​IMG]

31. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Parabola. Nose is still full of black licorice, bourbon, toffee, vanilla, brown sugar. Taste is incredible. Wow. Huge licorice and tobacco notes, but comes thick and creamy. Vanilla, bourbon, maple, lactose, dark chocolate, brown sugar, blackberries. Mouthfeel is incredibly thick and creamy. Five years has been great to this beer!

[​IMG]

32. CaptainHate

2016 Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas Ale

This is one of three that was given to me by a friend who moved away with a best by date of 2/17/17. I wouldn't have chosen to age this but once I had it I thought why not. I think it's developed a sour off note in both the smell and taste but you can still detect the sweetness of the honey and cinnamon. Not a wretched experience by any standard but not nearly as good as I was hoping it would be. I doubt that I'll pour the other two out but unless either of them yields some startlingly good results, I won't comment about them here.

argock likes this.
  33. CaptainHate

2017 Scaldis Noel

This has aged nicely over the ten months since I first tried it. The malt and dark fruit smells and tastes seem to be deeper and richer than before with an alcohol presence you recognize but it's not out of balance. This is a very good Belgian strong dark ale that could get even better with more time.

argock likes this.
  34. argock

argock Poo-Bah (2,809) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia

2012 Founders Boltcutter
    Dark amber with mild head that fades quickly to nothing. 15% ABV.

Burnt caramel with toffee and dark chocolate and hint of herbal earthy hops in the background.

Flavor has faded somewhat and now had a strong resemblance to a slightly hot Bigfoot but with less marshmallow and nougat. Still plenty of medium and darker caramel flavors, but not much on the fruit front, maybe a little bit of raisin. The bitterness is still high, but the hop flavor is mostly just earthiness.

Feel is pretty amazing for a beer of this heft, drinks with a very light touch of heat and nothing like 15%. Carbonation is low.

A little bit of a let-down but still enjoyable although the aged doesn't match the fresh for intensity.

CaptainHate likes this.