Nugget nectar sixtel

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by phontruted, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phontruted

phontruted Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2008 Pennsylvania

Recently got a kegerator. Was excited to get nugget nectar for my first keg as it's one of my all time favorites. Picked up a sixtel on 1.12.16, the day it arrived at my distributor. I'm pretty disappointed in it. It's much maltier than any other time I've had it in bottles or cans. Is it a draft vs bottle thing or is this keg likely just not fresh?

2. Dustin_Sallitt

Dustin_Sallitt Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014 New Jersey

It should be super fresh, the beer hasn't been released for more than a week.

3. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Unless it is from last year's batch.

I've had it on draft many times. It shouldn't be malty.

4. phontruted

phontruted Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2008 Pennsylvania

Had the new labeling on the top of the keg, so not last year's. Maybe I did something wrong with the keg setup. It's very pressurized every time I crack the faucet despite only having pressure at 6psi. I need to keep a second glass handy to take the initial part of every pour before filling my glass in order to prevent a beer that's half foam.

5. Beav42

Beav42 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2007 Pennsylvania

Trust what you taste

6. troybeeramalau

troybeeramalau Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2015 Pennsylvania

This beer sucks now. \thread

7. oneraindog

oneraindog Crusader (440) Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

That pressure is too low - should be in the 12-14 psi range to pour properly. Gradually bump up pressure, don't just crank it up the whole way as it needs to equalize on the way up.

8. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Stock kegerators are finicky. I've had one for a few years now and I still have to play with it too often. I have the same problem as you too often, first 10 beers are tough to find the right pressure levels.

As for NN, tough break.

9. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Read some of the threads here foamy pours. Kegerators are not plug and play, you need to understand what properly balancing your system means. Pressure too low (which you have) is just as likely to cause foam as high pressure with the added benefit that your beer will eventually be flat. You need to know the exact temperature of your beer using a calibrated thermometer, you need to know the volumes of CO2 that the beer is intended to be at, and you set your pressure using a force carbonation chart. The suggested range above (12-14) is where you need to be, assuming your kegerator can get you down to 38 degree beer which is the target you should look for. If you look at your beer line in the kegerator between pours it is likely gaps of CO2 and not completely full of beer. That is called break out and it is because you aren't applying enough pressure to keep the gas in solution. You will not get rid of first glass foam until you add a tower cooler. Always open the faucet all the way. If you pour beer onto foam it makes more foam. If after getting the proper balance set up you still have foam, replace the beer line with one that is 8-10'. Stock lines are about 5'. This will slow the flow of properly balanced beer. The key is getting balanced first.

billandsuz likes this.
  10. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

As far as taste goes, have you had it on tap somewhere this year? Things change year to year, this time around it may be a bit different.

11. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I got my fresh NN keg last week, it's pretty darn good. I'll still say this beer has not been the same after the Brewery moved. Call me crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.