Nugget Nectar

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by G_Z_a, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (129) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

FYI, Market of Choice has a shipment in right now. It's $21 for a six pack. As much as I like it and as rare as it is around here, I passed. Still cheaper than trying to trade so might be worth it if you've never tried it. Anyone see this around anywhere else in Portland area?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,942) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Is Troegs even semi-regularly available in PDX? Cuz, I love me some Troegs, and would love to get me some!

3. G_Z_a

I've never seen it here.

4. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,080) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I've never seen any Troegs beers around Portland. Not even during CBC last year.

5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,521) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Aside from the fact that the price tag is roughly $10 over the norm back east, hasn't it been a couple months now since it was brewed this year? At least in my experience, nn is one of those beers you definitely want to drink as fresh as possible. At least in my experience....

beertunes likes this.
  6. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,664) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

That beer dont garner them dollars. Pretty average

7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Average in comparison to what? Pretty sure it's their best selling seasonal by far.

I get some every year, and despite my nw hop jaded palate, I'm always amazed just good that beer is.

beertunes likes this.
  8. Beerleon

Beerleon Initiate (143) Oct 7, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Nugget nectar is great fresh but the hops fade fast. Unless that is fresh you are just getting an imperial amber ale.

9. G_Z_a

Didn't look to see if there was a date on it. Was really just surprised to see it. Might have considered buying a 4 pack of cans, but it was just bottles. I could be wrong, but I think that Market of Choice has some sort of Pennsylvania connection.

10. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (293) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I've bought Troegs at the MofC in Corvallis before. I have no idea how they get it, but I've seen it there more than once. They seem to have some borderline shady beer acquisition practices.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  11. beertunes

Society Trader

Regular stuff, or just special/seasonals? I used to drive OTR and passed through the Harrisburg PA area a lot. I was smuggling the Troegs mix cases home to myself when you couldn't find their beer more than 20-30 miles from Hburg. IIRC, it was a sixer each of IPA, ESB, Amber, and, maybe?, Blonde? Eventually, I got a steady run, going to the Hburg area and back, 5 nights a week. Got home one Saturday morning, borrowed my Dads mini-van, threw a couple friends in, and drove right straight back to take the tour at the original brewery, by the railroad tracks. Good times.

muchloveforhops3 and vurt like this.
  12. Jbagel1

Jbagel1 Initiate (117) May 25, 2015 Oregon

I've got Nugget nectar here in eugene at market of choice. its a real solid beer. They MOC was selling each bottle for 3.50 i think.

13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Which eugene MofC? I visit the one's on Willamette and willakenzie petty frequently, and have never seen any troeg beers there. I'm also close friends with some folks at work who are from the area, and between the 5 of us, I'm really surprised this is something none of us noticed.

14. Jbagel1

The one on 29th and willamette. They get it from time to time, I was just there i should have seen if they have any.

15. guajolote

I've seen Troeggennator (sp?), Dream Weaver, and one other that I can't recall. I believe the two I named are both seasonal.

beertunes likes this.
  16. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (736) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I've seen Troegganator and another one at the 29/Willamette MoC, but never NN. I agree with @guajolote there is some shady stuff going on in how they get some beers. I heard rumor that someone would go back east, buy a bunch, then sell it here on the shelves. That was years ago I heard that rumor and have no source nor support, just saying what I heard.

17. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,163) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Seems like a lot of risk for MofC's liquor licenses against what I'm guessing is a relatively miniscule portion of beer sales to do this illegally. There has to be some other explanation. rogue (but not Rogue) operative beer guy? Troegs has double secret distribution permit for OR? Wormhole exemption?

18. Jbagel1

Ive never heard any rumors like that about MoC. That seems far fetched. Right now MOC has 12oz bottles of Nugget Nectar. I just stopped by and picked one up. If anyone is looking for some.

19. jbakajust1

Not sure what it is exactly, but if Troeggs had distribution to OR I guarantee MoC wouldn't have the only bottles. Again, I heard a rumor, no support, but MoC being the only ones to have it if it was legally distributed seems odd.

beertunes likes this.
  20. jbakajust1

What's the date on the bottles?

21. Jbagel1

freshest by : 052816

jbakajust1 likes this.
  22. jbakajust1

Guess I need to go grab a couple bottles then.

23. Jbagel1

well worth it
    [​IMG]

sharpski likes this.
  24. G_Z_a

I couldn't really speak to the legality of it all, but it's not really any different from Belmont and other shops around town receiving shipments of Bells a few months ago. There may be an employee/beer buyer or someone at MoC with Pennsylvania connections. I overheard some people talking about Victory brewing when I was there a few months ago and maybe a special order for Nugget Nectar was put in. Hard to say how they were able to get it, but obviously they did. Cool with me, but the price is def not cool. I'm willing to pay more than what it would go for out east, but I have a hard time justifying spending over $20 for a six pack, especially in Oregon.

jbakajust1 and Jbagel1 like this.
  25. Jbagel1

i agree, not any different from the bells shipment out here a few months ago. MOC probably just got a special order of troegs. At the same time I know if the guys at MOC on 29th see anything special on the list they ordered. I am interested now on how the get it tho.

26. TaborTime

TaborTime Disciple (349) Dec 10, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Bell's sent their beer to an Oregon distributor. Dozens of bars/stores received Bell's. This sounds like, for lack of a better term, black market sales.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  27. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Exactly. They use "festival license" to basically sign a temporary distribution agreement, which is what all the other "out of market" breweries do for events like OBF, PIB, and CBC last year. It's possible that one of the distributors down in the valley that doesn't distribute to Portland has an agreement with Troeg's and MoC then shifts product between stores to get it up here, but that's the only legal situation I can think of.

That said, if there is someone down south selling them, you'd expect Bier Stein and other shops to carry them as well. Also, MoC seems to be the only ones who wind up with brewery-only HoTD beers like Otto on their shelves, so who knows what's going on.

28. guajolote

Or $130 growlers of AftW. :astonished:

29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's the same thought that crossed my mind, and I've always wondered about the legality of this practice in Oregon (especially as this has now become so widespread at the various MofC stores).

Some years back, I remember talking to the then manager of Concordia Alehouse about some kegs of Hophead DIPA they had received. The beer had sold really well at the alehouse, but she couldn't get the distributor to supply her with any more. She was pissed off about it, and in what sounded very much like a "you're not going to tell me what I can or can't carry in my pub," she and another employee drove a truck down to Bend and picked up several more kegs. According to her, it was legal for the restaurant/pub to pick up the kegs themselves and sell the beer at the pub, even though she didn't buy it through a local distributor. However, because she didn't get it through the distributor, she wasn't able to purchase the kegs at the wholesale price, which was why I was currently paying more than last time for my glass of hophead. That seems to be fairly consistent with what I'm seeing at MofC (beers that don't normally see distribution, selling at a price point consistent with a normal mark-up, over the typical retail price tag).

So assuming the practice employed by Concordia and (now) MofC for locally produced beers is legal, is there anything illegal about the sale of Troeg stuff in their store?

30. beertunes

Society Trader

Well, one thing is the transportation issues. Moving alcohol across state lines without the proper permits and licenses is illegal. Then what about taxes to the state? Are they paying the listing fee to the LCB? Plenty of questions to go around.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

All good questions, but that being said, I know this sort of thing is completely legal in DC, and I would assume that many of the same concerns would apply (taxes, transporting across state lines, etc.). Even though the beers are not distributed in the DC area, it's not unusual to come across bottles of pliny, three floyds, etc. They're very expensive, as the cost of shipping the beer is also built into the final retail price, but based on everything I've read in the Mid Atlantic forum, there's no problem about the legality of the practice.

32. beertunes

Society Trader

Yeah, I've read that too. Once it's there, it's legal, but how did it get there? I don't know if it's still true, but back in my OTR days PA had a law that any truck transporting alcohol through the state had to have a special sticker from the state. It's very difficult to get anywhere in the Northeast without going through PA. The company I drove for had about 300 trucks, and about 1/3 of them had the sticker, including my truck. So I hauled plenty of Bud from Baldwinsville NY to the docks of New Jersey.

33. sharpski

Society Trader

I believe DC is a special case, as their ABC regulations have a specific provision/loophole for this type of activity: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...762f0e-2019-11e5-84d5-eb37ee8eaa61_story.html To my knowledge, no similar provision exists in Oregon's regulations that would cover MofC's activity if they are bypassing a distributor.

@John_M, your story of Concordia and Hophead is interesting since Bend Brewing still regularly self-distributes. Perhaps there are geographical restrictions, though, as every instance I've heard where a bottleshop/bar goes to pick up beer at the source, they pay retail. I would have thought the brewery would be willing to sell to those establishments at wholesale, effectively "distributing" it to their own dock and saving the gas of driving it over themselves.

beertunes likes this.
  34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The Concordia episode took place roughly 10 years ago. Back then at least, I don't think Bend Brewing stuff was generally available in PDX, except for special events (during which Tonya and her crew would swing by with some kegs - I don't think any of their stuff was bottled back then; at least I never saw any.). So maybe Bend Brewing used some local distributor for a special event (if memory serves, this was right around OBF week)? The person I spoke to was pretty reputable and reliable, and we were on pretty good terms (I was a VERY regular customer back then), so I'm fairly confident the story she told me was accurate. It stuck in my mind at the time, because I was surprised it was even legal to do what she did. Most places I've lived, if you're going to carry beer in your store or pub, you're legally required to obtain it through a local distributor.

sharpski likes this.
  35. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Here's my understanding of the laws. There may be loopholes and exemptions I'm not aware of, but after doing this for 10 years I probably would have heard of them by now.
    • If the brewery is in-state and self distributed you can buy whatever you want from them.
    • If the brewery is in-state and has a distributor you have to buy from the distributor, except in rare circumstances. For example, if you're hosting an event and the brewery can't get the keg to the distributor in time they will occasionally bring it straight to you.
    • If the brewery is located out of state it is 100% illegal to buy beer directly from them. It must be sent to an Oregon-based distributor who then sells it to bars and retailers.
    Note that cider and wine are treated differently in that you can buy directly from out of state producers, but you have to track the volume you sell, file a monthly OLCC report, and pay taxes on it.

There was a period several years ago when Bend Brewing was actually distributed by Columbia here in town.

beertunes and sharpski like this.
  36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm fairly sure she mentioned Columbia as the distributor she was dealing with, but couldn't recall for certain (as it's been many years, and my memory is not the best). I also wondered about the legality of what she was doing at the time, despite her assurances. She was pretty annoyed, and like I said, there was a very strong "you're not going to tell me what I can or can't sell at my pub" flavor to her story. :-)

sharpski likes this.
  37. sharpski

Society Trader

Bend Brewing does still distribute through Columbia, but Oregon breweries have the ability to self-distribute too (I'm guessing BBC's contract with Columbia spells out the self-distribution scenarios and limitations).

beertunes likes this.
  38. G_Z_a

I'll admit I'm pretty naive when it comes to distribution and the variation in liqour laws from state to state so this is all very enlightening. We're still no closer to the truth behind MofCs Troegs connection. Other than asking an employee who has direct knowledge, maybe we'll never know. Next time I'm at the Beaverton location I'll try to bring it up. Distributors have always seemed to have a shady, Goodfellas vibe to me so hopefully no one at MofC gets their legs broken over this. I've never heard anything good about Columbia. As a consumer, I don't really care if what they're doing is illegal or not although if going through a distributor means a lower price for me then I'm all for that. I doubt they paid wholesale for the NN at the price they are charging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.