Nugget Nectar

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kadonny, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jmalex

jmalex Jul 7, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This boggles my mind. I mean, I cannot get my head around this at all. I can't imagine a scenario where I pour any beer down the drain (save for contamination issues or staling approaching years old) let alone 4-week-old Nugget Nectar.

Incidentally, I have a case of 1/3 and 1/8, and they're indistinguishable within any reasonable tolerances and solidly delicious (though not magical as it's seemed in the past).

2. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Oct 21, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

I can tell you that the vast majority of NN fans in Rochester were not happy with last years batch. Fortunately, the word is very different this year.

3. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Just found it at Wegmans in Ithaca. Bottled 1/30/13.

4. mark14580

mark14580 Jan 15, 2011 New York

"It tasted so bad that I drank 5"

malvado78, joeebbs, jimmy666 and 2 others like this.
  5. jmos

jmos Apr 20, 2010 New Jersey

I had a 1/16 last night, excellent!!! Greatly looking forward to downing the rest of the case.

6. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Disagree too. I've been drinking NN for years. Each year I get usually 2 cases and one keg. Each year I have been drinking it, the beer has been different, but still excellent. Last year was the exception. It was different, but not in a great way. If you want to call me a "snob", so be it. I'm just telling you (and I am far from alone with this thought) that last years batch was below par. Like it or not, it was the truth. Was that because of the move and the time constraints to get it brewed? Perhaps, but only Troegs can answer that question for sure.

I don't expect the exact same beer each year, we all know conditions change from year to year. What I do expect is a quality beer that I will not be disappointed in.

7. slentz

slentz Mar 20, 2010 Pennsylvania

At $15 a six pack I try to drink what I buy. But that day I needed a beer that I could enjoy. The others I drank but did not enjoy. By your logic I should have just dumped all of them? Not sure you even read exactly what I wrote.

8. jiboo22

jiboo22 May 24, 2005 New Jersey

For those that are looking for NN in North Jersey, Stew Leonard Wines in Clifton had about 10 cases this morning. Bottled 1/22/13, batch #130102. So, I'm interested to see how it compares to the dreaded (lol) 1/8 bottles that I picked up at Shangy's last week. #12.99/sixer btw.

9. jasinviso

jasinviso Nov 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Well put me down as one of the disappointed, batch 1/17/13. Unfortunately I bought a case, and drank 2 bottles that were nothing like anything I've had in years past, even last years I had several sixers which I know people complained about. I'm returning the rest. IMHO it's all bitterness with none of the awesome kicked up malt and citrusy hops. The Nugget Nectar aroma that I wait for all year was absent as well. Judge for yourself, but I think it's a mistake to buy cases without trying a bottle from the case, which in the past was a no brainer for this beer. I'm wrestling with my longstanding rating of this beer, which I think I have as a straight 5. I hope this is an aberration, but this ruined my day. :(

10. phishphorce

phishphorce Aug 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I hate to say it and I didn't even believe it until now. So far I have had bottles from 1/3 1/13 1/21 and 1/22

I just got a case of 1/22 from Jersey and its garbage.

the 1/13 and 1/21 batches were fucking unbelieveable, so juicy and crisp. This 1/22 batch tastes like someone put half a nugget nectar in a bottle and filled the other half with water. Hell I just had a 1/3 bottle on Sunday night and it destroys this bottle.

So disappointing drove over the bridge and into Dirty Jerz just to get a fresh case for a ski trip this weekend and it sucks. I'll drink stouts and hopslam and when I get drunk I'll drink this 1/22 batch because it already tastes like I'm drunk from the first beer.

11. headylamar

headylamar Feb 11, 2010 New Jersey

Canals - lawrenceville is out. Grabbed last 2 six packs earlier tonight. Aside from some singles in the "make-your-own" 6 pack area, I didn't see any other on the floor. Hope they have some hidden - my girlfriend is drinking my entire stash!!

Denoas likes this.
  12. bkov33

bkov33 Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

to me, it tastes a lot more bitter this year versus last year. technically i think the IBUs would put this in IPA category, i don't know why they still classify it as a amber

13. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Beers are categorized on more than one ingredient. Using only IBUs some would call fresh Storm King and fresh Bigfoot as being IPAs.

warriorsoul likes this.
  14. bkov33

American IPA Statistics:
    OGFGIBUsSRMABV
    1.056 - 1.075 1.010 - 1.018 40 - 60+ 6 - 15 5.5 - 7.5%

Imperial IPA Statistics:
    Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
    IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
    SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

American Amber Ale Statistics:
    OGFGIBUsSRMABV
    1.045 - 1.060 1.010 - 1.015 25 - 40+ 10 - 17 4.5 - 6%

15. orangesol

orangesol Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Scratch 83 (a RIS), has 5 more IBU's than Nugget Nectar does.

I guess we should reclassify that one as a Black IPA while we are at it....

gregkoko likes this.
  16. scraff

scraff Apr 18, 2003 Maryland

Can anyone post what bottle dates this year sucked vs. were great. NN comes to MD next week, and I refuse to buy a case people are ripping apart. Seriously! I need excellent NN, not the watered down version! I know my NN well...and unfortunately many of its inconsistencies too.

17. WagonCircler

WagonCircler May 15, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

This year is good. I had a sucks last night and then a NN. Not buying anymore NN while sucks is still around...

18. bkov33

style guidelines for RIS ibu is up to 90 so its not far off.

nugget nectar ibu, srm, gravitys/abv fall in IPA category

19. orangesol

orangesol Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I have no desire to get into this sad, old discussion about what style of beer Nugget Nectar is.
    We have it every year and what you say will have no influance over me, or the people who brew it for that matter.
    I could honestly care less what style they say it is as long as it tastes good.
    Besides, based on this thread I would say this years batch isn't as hoppy as it was last year :rolleyes:

drtth likes this.
  20. bkov33

tastes more bitter to me this year versus last year

digdug1810 likes this.
  21. Crabbicuss

Crabbicuss Jan 3, 2011 Maryland

NN is already in MD. Just bought some at Old Line tonight.

22. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Try it one more time but reverse the order and have the NN first.

FatBoyGotSwagger and victory4me like this.
  23. shadowane

shadowane Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Oh good, we've moved on from these two bottles I drank next to each other tasted different to last year's version was better. Wonder what's next.

24. Kadonny

Beer Trader

I had a few more bottles over the weekend of the 1/8 batch. I don't see in any world where anyone could say they were bad. For me, they were delicious. Were they "stellar" or the "best batch ever"? No, but still really, really good.

mdillon86, jmalex and oneraindog like this.
  25. jasinviso

jasinviso Nov 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have 4 bottles left of 1/17/13 from the case I returned, because I felt weird returning a sixer that had 2 bottles missing. If there is someone who is curious to what people are complaining about, or wants to do a comparison of the batches, I'll be happy to donate a bottle to you, I live in Cape May County, NJ. I know I have no interest in drinking this thing that is labelled Nugget Nectar, that looks but doesn't taste or smell like Nugget Nectar. I would like to try a good batch, but that is not necessary for my offer. One string attached though, put down your thoughts of the beer on this thread. I'm a long time fan of Nugget Nectar, and I think I know what it tastes like but... just in case I want to open it up some doubters and curious types. PS I did email the company but have heard nothing from them.

26. Steeeve

Steeeve Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I finished the rest of my 1/8 NN sixer this weekend, and I have to say my posts here were a little overreacted. Still a fine beer. It does have a little more juicy hop flavor than I first perceived. I think, as others have touched on, that it's flaw is in the finish. It doesn't pop. It kind of just settles, like a stale IPA. It's a quality brew but it didn't match up to the hype or my past experiences with it. Just my two cents.

27. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

As a FYI, JMSRN posted a couple of times that his 1/17/13 batch of NN was ‘off’:

“I have a case from 1/17 and it's definitely off, similar to what Slentz experienced above. Contacted Troegs and they are swapping out the case for me. Great customer service.”

“Just to give an update on my experience - I kept one bottle from the case I had replaced and did a side by side with one from the new case I picked yesterday (the batch # escapes me, but I think best buy date was 5/5/2013). To my palate, there was a noticeable difference between the two, with the new case being more enjoyable. Definite difference in the aroma and hop presence.”

Since Troegs provided JMSRN with a replacement of the 1/17 batch hopefully they will do the same for you?

Cheers!

28. Kadonny

Beer Trader

I'm very excited for my keg now. Really looking forward to it.

29. cracker

cracker May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

Me too. Just called Exton Beverage and they said end of February still. Was hoping to get it this week :(

30. John

John Sep 17, 2001 New York

NSCS in Rochester just got another batch of NN. Bottled on 2/11/13 - Phuckin phresh! Any feedback from the super tasters on this one yet?

31. kecarl7

kecarl7 Feb 6, 2010 California

So kegs should be arriving(or have already arrived) this week?

Also, has anyone in Center City Phila seen any bottles with February dates stamped on?

32. Kadonny

Beer Trader

No kegs yet here in the NW burbs. I have an empty spigot just waiting for it.....and waiting....and waiting.

dcolatriano likes this.
  33. cracker

cracker May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

You, me, and probably a bunch of other NN lovers.

34. csurowiec

csurowiec Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

I have a six pack bought in Bel Air, MD dated 02-04 and it is super yummy.

35. Grohnke

Grohnke Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

Hey dudes, a midwester BA here. Ill be in NYC this week, and was just wondering if NN is pretty widely available in the NYC area? and if its still on shelves

36. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Just cracked open a case bottled 2/8 yesterday. It was fantastic.

37. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Wait a minute, wait a minute. I don't think any sane BA poster has said any of the NN has "sucked" this year. There has only been some alleged complaints about consistency and various hoppiness. No NN will ever be "watered down", Troegs is just too good a brewery to do that. Just be clear on that.

Buy whatever you come across this year, I bet you are NOT disappointed.

38. BikeChef

BikeChef Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Subscriber

Had a couple bottles from a 1/31 batch. A letdown-- it's like they forgot to dry-hop it or something (?). Going to try and get a sixer from a different batch to compare.

39. digdug1810

digdug1810 Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

i've had bottles dated 1/16 & 1/17.. the 1/17 was a tad more bitter upon initial sip out of the fridge, but as it warmed it went away.. the 1/16 didn't have that as much but is still there.. besides that it tastes great to me, better than last years batches anyway.

The bitterness i'm describing also isn't the hop kind of bitter, it's that dry aspirin like bitter, but as mentioned it fades away when the beer warms up closer to room temp

40. scraff

scraff Apr 18, 2003 Maryland

Just want to go on record and say that the batch of DOB's 1-30-13 was delicious. As good as NN has ever been. Hoping we can get some fresh batches delivered to MD before NN season is over. Cheers!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe