Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Nugget Nectar

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kadonny, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

45+ tax, about 48 bucks after tax.

2. dbfp210

dbfp210 Jun 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I think the Beer Outlet has (had?) it at 47.

3. Retail1LO

Retail1LO May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

Latest batch I had was just awful. Total malt bomb. Hops were nearly non existent. Beer tasted like it was about a year old. Had to commit it to the drain. Definitely disappointing.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Gotta bottling date on that batch?

5. Retail1LO

Retail1LO May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'll have to take a look when I get a moment.

6. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Just stopped by the Plymouth Meeting Mall Whole Foods. $10.99 a 6 pack walk out price and they seemed to have plenty. The beer guy there mentioned that they got in 75 cases a week ago, and had already blown through half of that. He figured that by this time next week, their entire supply will be gone.

7. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Strange. My local Whole Foods has none. I wonder why.

8. Steeeve

Steeeve Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Plenty to go around at the Collegeville Wegmans. I also managed to snag the last sixer of Lagunitas Sucks that was out on display. No idea if they have any more. This is gonna be a good night.

9. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

Was just there myself. Man, that was a lot of cases...there was also a tasting of AB swill going on, and someone asked where the beers were from. "St Louis!" Heh.

10. Steeeve

Haha, I was all excited like ooh a beer tasting. Then I saw Shock Top and Michelob and I scuttled away before I could accidentally make eye contact with the girl pouring them.

11. philly224

philly224 Jan 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Malvern was out of Lagunitas sucks last night unfortunately (Ton of nugget nectar though). Kind of want to go check Collegeville now.

12. Steeeve

I just picked up a sixer from 1/8 and I think it sucks. It tastes like a year old ipa. It's not at all bitter and really lacks hop flavor. I'm annoyed I went out of my way to get it.

13. ESHBG

ESHBG Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hmm there may be something to this, as mine was bottled on 01/07/13 and it didn't taste nearly as hoppy as I would have thought or remembered. That is what I liked about it this year, though, and mine had a good hop flavor without the over the top/in your face bitterness (I know some like this in their beers, I typically do not).

Can any regular drinkers of NN confirm that this year's batch tastes differently? I can't make a fair comparison from years ago to now (and my palate was much different then too).

14. yoshida

yoshida Jun 7, 2006 Pennsylvania

my bottles from 01/04/2013 taste quite good (box says enjoy by 05/04/2013). definitely better than last year, and compares favorably to years previous to last (based on my memory and tasting notes).

15. Steeeve

I can't remember exactly what it has tasted like in past years, but I can't imagine I would have been so excited for what tastes like nothing more than your average red ale. I remember the 2011 version being a lot more bitter, with a ton of citrus and pine hop flavor. Last year the early batches were bleh but I had some later bottles and drafts that were spectacular. It's apparently a wildly inconsistent beer.

16. yoshida

yoshida Jun 7, 2006 Pennsylvania

Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying it on tap. And I'm really looking forward to cask/firkin, since they didn't do them last year.

17. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I drank my last bottles from 1/02/12 and they were great. Going to get more from the same batch tomorrow.

18. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

:) It's probably already been all bought up Dyan. You know how it is. There is soooooo little decent beer in Portland, that folks go crazy when something like NN comes out.

Serves you right for moving somewhere where is no craft beer scene (to speak of)!

19. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

I should also add that my local Whole Foods doesnt' have any either.

Oh, that's right, we don't have a Whole Foods in Morgantown.

And now that I think about it, oh, that's right, we don't get nugget nectar (or any Troegs for that matter) in West Virginia anyway. :)

20. Edwin

Edwin May 8, 2003 Pennsylvania

The Firkin at the brewery yesterday was nothing short of amazing. Dry hopped with Columbus and had Mangoes added as well. A+

pumpkin1 likes this.
  21. dcolatriano

dcolatriano Nov 19, 2003 Pennsylvania

Bought a case yesterday with Jan 04 date.
    Had 3 last night.
    Very disappointed.
    What a waste.
    Nothing special about this beer that I usually love.

What now?

skinsfan likes this.
  22. skinsfan

skinsfan May 24, 2005 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Crap. Once its down here in the DC area, I am definitely only picking up a 6-pack to start with. After getting burned last year with a full case of it and not really enjoying it, I don't want that to happen again. Too much inconsistency among batches it sounds like from everyone this year.

23. boblinneman

boblinneman Sep 16, 2002 Pennsylvania

My case is 1/8/13. Good but not great, malty with a dry bitterness. Missing the juicy goodness I fell in love with years ago.

24. philly224

philly224 Jan 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My case was from 1/11/13 and I think its just as amazing as always.

25. pumpkin1

pumpkin1 Jul 31, 2006 Pennsylvania

My case is from 1/12/13 and it tastes amazing. Anyone who is comparing it to last years should feel the same way. A lot of last years NN was messed up in some way but the problem has been solved.
    The firkin Saturday at the brewery was unbelievable! However, the time it took to get just a glass was also unbelievable. They need to fix that quick... !

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

So, I have read many comments that the 1/8/13 batch is ‘bad’ and you mentioned that the 1/17/13 batch is ‘bad’.

During your contact with Troegs was there any mention on why there are bad batches?

Cheers!

P.S. The King of Prussia Wegmans has a boatload of Nugget Nectar. Unfortunately they all appear to be from the 1/8/13 bottling (I checked 3-4 bottles for their bottling date).

P.S.S. I have a case from the 1/11/13 batch and it is very tasty!

27. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My two sixers from the 1/8 batch were great. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

28. chcfan

chcfan Oct 29, 2008 California

The 1/11 is as good as any Nugget Nectar I've ever had. From the bottle, of course. NN on draft (though I'm in the minority of strongly preferring regular draft to firkin) is a double-dip cream dream. My experiences with draft last year was that it was way off. I hope it's returned to form in the same way as the bottles.

29. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

My case is from the 1/3 batch, and it's incredible.

30. JackHorzempa

“I'm in the minority of strongly preferring regular draft to firkin …” Are you sure that is a minority position? I also strongly prefer the regular draft over the cask version. I posted about that topic on a recent thread:

“On a related matter I once had the chance to drink Nugget Nectar on cask and regular draft side-by-side (at TJs Everyday). The Nugget Nectar on regular draft was very aromatic, vibrant and a very tasty beer. The Nugget Nectar on cask had a muted flavor/aroma and was a ghost of the regular draft version. I did enjoy the smooth mouthfeel of the cask Nugget Nectar but I greatly missed the hop flavor/aroma presence.”

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/lagers-on-cask.60627/#post-822743

Cheers!

31. Ri0

Ri0 Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'll be getting some from a BA in a week or so. I'm excited to try it. I like malty reds that aren't overly hoppy.

32. JackHorzempa

“I like malty reds that aren't overly hoppy.”

Hmmm, you might want to age your Nugget Nectar then.

Cheers!

33. chcfan

chcfan Oct 29, 2008 California

Interesting. I have mentioned my preference for the regular draft a few years ago and got a number of replies to the of disagreement and not one from someone who had the same preference. Interesting to see I'm not alone on this. I, too, don't care for hoppy beers in general on cask for the same reason. It really seems to mute the aroma which is one of my favorite characteristics of a good, fresh, and hoppy beer. I usually try one if I see one, but have never preferred a hoppy cask beer to regular-ass draft.

34. Ri0

Beer Trader

Nah, I like hop bombs as well. I just can't wait to try it.

35. JackHorzempa

“It really seems to mute the aroma which is one of my favorite characteristics of a good, fresh, and hoppy beer.”

The descriptor I like to use for what cask delivery does to a hoppy beer like Nugget Nectar is that it “dumbs down the flavor/aroma”.

Why somebody would prefer a dumbed down hoppy beer is a mystery to me. If you desire to drink a beer with ‘less’ hop flavor/aroma, then why don’t you drink a different style of beer?

Cheers!

chcfan likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

"I like hop bombs as well." Well then you are in for a treat! Nugget Nectar may not be as 'in your face' as a West Coast style IPA but it is indeed plenty hoppy.

Cheers!

37. Steeeve

Or if you don't want to age it you can try to get one bottled on 1/8.

38. Ri0

Beer Trader

My anticipation grows!

39. JackHorzempa

Have you tried contacting Troegs like JMRSN did for his batch?

“I have a case from 1/17 and it's definitely off, similar to what Slentz experienced above. Contacted Troegs and they are swapping out the case for me. Great customer service.”

Cheers!

40. Twinsdaddy

Twinsdaddy Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey

i have nn bottled 1/4 and some bottled 1/8. i've enjoyed the 1/4 batch so far (i've had about 10) but i'm gonna do a side by side comparison tonight and see if there's a difference in taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe