Germany Nuremberg

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Hoochymonk, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (390) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Well I was just running in from the rain, but I gotta say, after a tongue-lashing or two from the Schlenkerla waitstaff I may find my way into a neighboring pub once in a while.

2. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,016) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Aw, that's what they want you to do.... I was more hard-headed (imagine that!), and wouldn't let them shoo me out too easily. Even got to where I could make them laugh with my comebacks to their surliness.

seanyfo and Gutes_Bier like this.
  3. Gutes_Bier

If someone claims to have been there and doesn't bring back a tale of waitstaff woe then I don't believe they actually went.

herrburgess likes this.
  4. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,016) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

You think this is bad? You should have been there before Matthias Trum took over; service was considerably worse back then.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  5. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (622) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

Never had a bad experience there myself. Had pretty good service considering how busy they were the last couple of times.

6. Gutes_Bier

I am zero out of three, and the worst time was during the afternoon when it was not particularly crowded. Oh well, Your Mileage May Vary as the kids say!

7. bergbrew

bergbrew Initiate (49) Jan 12, 2004 Minnesota

I made the fatal mistake of carrying half a beer from the Schwemme into the dining area on a slow rainy November afternoon in hopes of getting some lunch. I will never make that mistake again:grinning:

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,222) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The first time we went to Schlenkerla there was a massive tour group of Australians there.The waitresses seemed to think we were with them and every time I'd go up to the window, they'd literally turn around and walk off. I guess all of them had free beer coupons and the staff didn't seem too happy about it.
    Eventually when the group left and we were still there, they didn't walk off.

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  9. Slam_Dunkels

Slam_Dunkels Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Free beer coupons?

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  10. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah. It seemed like their tour company had struck a deal with Shlenkerla. Each of them had a coupon (written in English) telling them to present it to the staff and receive a free 1/2L of the house rauchbier. The couple next to us hated their one rauchbier and ended up giving us their other coupon. I didn't end up using it and I think I just left it on our table for the next person to discover.

11. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (182) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I thought Ambräusianum's beers were uniformly terrible. Mind you, that was five years ago. If I hear from a reliable source that they are now better, I might return on my next visit.

12. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

My (decent) experience was 2 years ago. No clue if I'll make it back in the next 2-3 years, but I'm certainly game to try again if I have time.

13. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (196) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

This is why I despise gift cards, companies never miss a chance to act as if they are the ones paying when you use it, whilst it's clear that you've paid for something in advance. If they are going to bitch about it you might as well have brought cash. I wouldn't stand for such treatment.

14. ispymab

ispymab Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 West Virginia

Enjoyed all the posts on this topic. I was there 30 years ago and honestly at 18 years of age all I could remember that what we called Hefeweizen ( Dark color hops floating in the bottom) or the other we called light weizen ( golden color) was actually named Kristallweizen if I am correct? I was not a beer drinker prior to living in Germany, and after living there for almost a year, I didn't want to drink anything else. I too would appreciate any guidance on finding a German beer or ale that is close to what I remember.

15. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (293) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I am sure that any competent salesman at your local bottle shop (that carries imported beers) could help you find a few interesting beers to rekindle the romance with your first "beer girlfriend" (sorry, couldn't help but think of the old adage "you never forget your first girl" from St Pauli Girl). Almost all major German labels are available in the US, the smaller ones must be searched out.

Prost!

JackHorzempa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.