English/Irish/Scottish Ales Nutella Milk/Oatmeal Stout - Extract

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by boddhitree, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boddhitree

boddhitree Zealot (542) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Nutella Milk/Oatmeal Stout
    Style: Based on a highly modified Beamish Stout recipe.
    Method: Partial Mash
    Batch Size: 5 Gallon Batch

OG: 1.060
    FG: 1.017
    5.7%
    abv
    SRM: 120
    IBU

Efficiency: 75%

Grain Bill:
    4.79# Light DME - 58.3%
    5 oz. Roasted Barley - 3.8%
    5 oz. Crystal malt 60 - 3.9%
    2 oz. Carapils - 2.2%
    7 oz. Black (Patent) malt (debittered) - 5.4%
    8½ oz. Malted oats - 6.5%
    13⅓ oz. Chocolate malt - 10.1%

Hop Bill:
    ⅓ oz. Challenger hops- 7.5% AA (60 minutes)
    ½ oz. EKG - 5% AA (60 minutes)
    ½ oz. Challenger hops- 7.5% AA (15 minutes)

Adjuncts:
    4 oz. roasted hazelnuts (added to boil @ 30 min.s)
    2 vanilla beans (added to boil @ 30 min.s)
    2 oz. cocoa powder (at 0 minutes of boil)
    7 oz. Molasses (added to boil @ 10 min.s) - 3.8%
    8 oz. Milk Sugar/Lactose (added to boil @ 10 min.s) - 6.1%

in secondary, just before bottling, add:
    ½ oz. vanilla extract (homemade, soaked 4 vanilla beans in vodka for 2 weeks)
    2 oz. hazelnut extract (homemade, 4 to 5 oz. pureed hazelnuts soaked in vodka for 2 weeks)
    2 oz. chocolate extract (homemade, soaked cocoa nibs in vodka for 2 weeks)

Yeast: Irish Ale (Wyeast 1084)

Mash grains at 157-159, for 60 minutes. Batch sparge.
    60 min boil, with timing of hop additions listed above.​

After fermentation is finished, add the extracts to beer and stir lightly, let sit an hour or two to allow any sediment to resettle, then bottle or keg.​

Lager at least 4 weeks; shorter lager times won't allow the extracts to effectively be​

My base recipe was a Beamish stout clone while adding lactose/oatmeal, the oatmeal to give it a chocolatey, thick body, and lactose to give a very sweet flavor.

I did have a problem getting CO2 to build in the bottles, after 10 days in the bottles, I opened each bottle up and dropped another sugar cube. (I use only flip-top bottles.) Problem solved. It's now well carbonated, which really allows the chocolate and vanilla aromas to come out.

2 weeks later and it was even creamier and smoother and tasted just like melting chocolate and vanilla mixed with a hazelnut shot... not exactly Nutella but as close to it as I can get. The aroma bursted with chocolate. Yum. Wish I could share more than just a visual of it.

[​IMG]

2. ssam

ssam Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 California

Not to pick nits but there isn't any base malt so this isn't actually a partial mash.

3. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,902) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Wow. There is a lot going on there. Nuts, liqueur, vanilla, lactose, molasses, cocoa powder, nib extract, and a really complicated grist. If you were doing it again, would you pare down on some of that?

Specific to hazelnuts, do you think you were getting most of your hazelnut from the liqueur or from the roasted nuts in the boil? I imagine they might be really different flavors. Did you roast the hazelnuts yourself? If you brewed it again, would you keep both hazelnut additions, or do you thing the nuts are more trouble than they are worth? I've heard that nut oils can wreck head retention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.