Oak Island, NC bottle shops

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by straaaaauhs, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straaaaauhs

straaaaauhs Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm heading there this week....any good bottle shops there or nearby?
    Thanks in advance, cheers!

2. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Aspirant (229) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

There is a decent place on the "main drag". It is a small wine and beer shop (can't remember the name). That's about it on the island, but should be good enough for most folks. I always found enough there to keep the fridge full of good stuff

3. CarolinaKevin

CarolinaKevin Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

4. NoMoreBeerBelly

Beer Trader

Yep that's it! It is a small shop on the left side of the road as you drive into Oak Island. They even had a craft beer event when we went last year.

Ps - the selection at the Food Lion in town is terrible!

5. pimpinmidget

pimpinmidget Aspirant (296) Mar 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I have a house at Oak Island and grape and ale is the only place I go when I am down there for craft.

6. straaaaauhs

straaaaauhs Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Pennsylvania

7. flipdog0

flipdog0 Aspirant (207) Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

good luck, go to lighthouse beer and wine in wilmington

8. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

Don't know much about that area, but if you're coming into Wilmington: Cape Fear Wine And Beer, Fermental, Lighthouse Beer And Wine are all solid choices for picking up some stuff.

9. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Aspirant (244) Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

I have been down here all week and checked out grape and ale and the wine rack. Both are very small and rather expensive (ex. sculpin 6er $20, pumking $10) The food lion has sweetwater ipa, foothills and highland stuff that was actually pretty fresh...I took a trip down to piggly wiggly @market common and it was well worth the 1:15 trip each way. Prices were great and picked up a pile of Westbrook ipa, one claw and citrus ninja. Met Chris Byrd, nice guy. Nothing special on the growler station but the piggly wiggly tulip glass is sweet!

10. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

Piggly Wiggly has tulips!? I used to work at one in Kinston, I wish we had carried them! hahaha

11. kristougher

kristougher Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

yeah when i was in myrtle beach they had sculpin at the growler fill station at the nearby piggly wiggly, cant wait for that to happen in nc, hopefully

12. Jayh5

Jayh5 Initiate (24) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina

Restaurant /bar called shagger jacks has over 50 different beers there, I think 6 on tap. Cool place

13. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Aspirant (244) Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

I have passed that place several times (shagger jacks) and will check it out tomorrow. Had dinner at loco Joes tonight in southport and they have a nice bottle selection and three beers on tap (green flash hop head red, ST live and seeing double). Menu is tex mex mixed with Vietnamese. Good times

14. NoMoreBeerBelly

Beer Trader

We ate there (food was good). Beer list isn't mind blowing but there is certain to be choices for a BA. It was the only restaurant on the island that we visited that had a decent selection of craft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe