Oasis Meta-Modern IPA

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Chuk_Hell, Apr 22, 2015.

1. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Disciple (357) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

This is a good beer...def worth downing a few.

morsetx and tx_beer_man like this.
  2. handcrafty

handcrafty Aspirant (232) Aug 18, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Wheatsville on South Lamar keeps OTXBC stocked. And it's 6.99/6er.

3. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (935) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm very curious to try this now. Haven't had a chance to give Oasis a shot yet, but it sounds like I need to start with this one

4. Persdawg

Persdawg Aspirant (258) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm an idiot...was thinking of a WFM on Lamar...in Arlington.
    I think their distribution is pretty limited in DFW.

5. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (94) Jan 30, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

If you're in Arlington and looking for Oasis, hit up Hall's or Specs.

Gonna pick up a case of Meta today from Specs.

6. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Initiate (86) Dec 2, 2006 Texas
    Beer Trader

Tried a couple of cans of this a couple of days ago (on different days, from the same pack). I thought it was alright- it got really cerealy/husky toward the end of each sip, and that started to grate on me. Also, the hop seemed a little overtaxed. Was a touch more dank and somewhat oniony than expected. Maybe I got a slightly off batch? I don't know. I'll try it again if someone hands me one, but I don't think I can buy another pack based off of my experience.

MLDucky and Heretic42 like this.
  7. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (77) Jan 13, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

You guys, right after I decided to buy this it apparently all ran out.

morsetx likes this.
  8. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (186) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

The session IPA seems to be a beast much more challenging to tame than the standard IPA. I can name a few dozen IPA's that I think are world-class, but the list is exceptionally smaller for session IPA's. Oasis is on to something here. Great beer for the local climate IMO.

Beernerds likes this.
  9. Onefiver

Onefiver Initiate (131) May 14, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm regretting any role I've played in making this beer more popular....Because it's sold out at a few of my regular stops!

10. Can_has_beer

Beer Trader

Someone with more home brewing experience than myself could probably answer this better, but one reason session beers are so difficult to pull off is without a higher ABV, there isn't much there to mask or hide any off flavors that show up.

So in conclusion, awesome session IPA = zero to little amount of off flavors = Oasis can frickin' brew :stuck_out_tongue:

tx_beer_man likes this.
  11. Bluestar

Bluestar Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2012 Texas

I don't know where you're at, but if it's H-town, the heights Kroger (Shepherd and 11th) had plenty when I stopped in the weekend... should be lots left.

I get the feeling that mass-consumption of this beer ensued (around H-town anyway) after Joey tweeted out his appreciated for it... that's when I bothered to try it...

12. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (178) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Or its really selling because its a session IPA with a cool hippie looking can?

icetrauma, starkmarvelo and TTUJohn like this.
  13. Crack2000

Crack2000 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2010 Texas

Helped seal the deal for me.

14. aschwab

aschwab Devotee (483) Mar 3, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's selling for me because I want less alcohol with more flavor.

15. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I read that to mean that you want "great taste and less filling." Only took 40 years for someone to actually brew that catchphrase.

nathanmiller and Beernerds like this.
  16. aschwab

Beer Trader

That is exactly what I want. Too bad it is not from people who advertise it.

Beernerds likes this.
  17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Drinking one right now. It's good. Price is great, but I'll spend my money on RA White.

StArnoldFan likes this.
  18. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Champion (856) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Just purchased. Can confirm. Is delicious.

19. charrel

charrel Disciple (372) Jul 10, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

Picked this up today. Very nice beer for the summer. It has quite an impressive nose for a session IPA

20. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Poo-Bah (2,416) Feb 26, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

D&Q got some in a couple days ago.

21. Onefiver

Beer Trader

Craft & Growler has it on tap.....

22. IrishColonial

IrishColonial Savant (957) Mar 5, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Growler Room Oltorf had it over the weekend for a decent price...they still may have it. Picked up a sixer at Whichcraft for a weekend cookout and it was a hit.

PatrickInAustinTx likes this.
  23. Heretic42

Heretic42 Devotee (411) Aug 31, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

$16 for 64oz is decent? :astonished:

handcrafty, aschwab and IrishColonial like this.
  24. aschwab

Beer Trader

Why would anyone buy a growler fill of a local IPA that is readily available in cans across the city?

It baffles me. You get more beer out of a 6 pack, usually half the price, and you dont need to drink it in one sitting. Some people with growlers just confuse me.

25. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (447) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Because Eric is like those Sprint commercials where the rich people just don't get why splitting their phone bill in half is necessary. I mean who wants to actually save money and get more product? :stuck_out_tongue:

Heretic42 and IrishColonial like this.
  26. OliOxenFree

OliOxenFree Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2014 Texas

Really? Everyone is pretty unanimous about this beer being amazing, but I'm going to have to be the horrible person and say it was very "meh." Bought a sixer and was impressed by the packaging, but that's where it ended. I then tried it on tap at a bar I frequent and still thought meh. A better Texas sessional IPA? Independence's Hoppy Diver. An amazing sessional IPA that I ALWAYS keep stocked in my fridge? Oskar Blues' Pinner. That right there is the good stuff. I highly suggest it. Plus, the Meta-Modern has been at the same bar for over two weeks while everything else around it sold out, especially the Hoppy Diver when it was on.

I know tastes differ, but I haven't really seen much love for Meta-Modern until seeing this thread. Seriously, try Pinner. So good.

EDIT: If anyone is looking for it, I've seen plenty at Whole Foods at the Domain.

27. ATA1K

ATA1K Initiate (177) Feb 4, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I thought it was good - for a session ipa... Smell was great, but the taste was ok. From all of this talk, I was expecting full IPA taste, not IPA light (I know its a session, but this thread tho). Not bad in the least, just... pretty good.

Will try again, and hope maybe I just got a couple cans in Dallas that werent as fresh or something.

rspauldi likes this.
  28. mindswoop

I don't even see how Pinner comes close to Meta Modern. Pinner was way too bitter and imbalanced.

I'm cool with calling MM an IPA light...I really enjoy it for the summer.

Wingfan13, jwall and Krumb like this.
  29. Can_has_beer

Beer Trader

Tried Meta Modern last night. I was blown away. That's the best session ale I've had, really great aroma and taste

30. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (447) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I liked Pinner as well but not as much as Meta and its a solid $2 more per sixer. Hoppy Diver is packaged? I haven't seen it yet.

I have sent a bunch of Meta out too to folks all over and haven't seen or heard any meh feedback from them. Everyone seemed to love it.

But yeah everyone has their own taste. I don't care for a lot of beers that people go nuts for.

31. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

It's absolutely insane that I have to try to get to the store the day it's released or I miss it. Same goes for RedBud...they're flying off the shelves!

32. aschwab

Beer Trader

It just goes to show that if you make good beer, it will sell, regardless of brewery.

I have never seen any Independence beer being sought after before - but RedBud? That sells out immediately.

icetrauma likes this.
  33. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I just bought a case...still want more though. And that Meta Modern get better every time I drink it!

34. Can_has_beer

Beer Trader

Both of those are soooo good after a jog, it should be illegal :stuck_out_tongue:

35. tpgraham

tpgraham Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Texas

Finally had some of this. This is the best interpretation of the style I have yet. They really nailed it.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  36. Onefiver

Beer Trader

DFW didn't get any this week and my regular stop are out....

37. jamescain

jamescain Meyvn (1,002) Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

That was my experience with it. I thought it was OK but no where near the level of praise it's getting in this thread

MLDucky likes this.
  38. jamescain

jamescain Meyvn (1,002) Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think it has to do more with residual sugars and generally a higher hop extraction because of a lower starting gravity. It's very easy to over hop a low gravity beer.

Asa likes this.
  39. mindswoop

This just clocked in at $10.81 at Sunrise. WTF? Taking the Yellow Rose route.

40. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Defender (627) Dec 28, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

How is $10.81 for a six pack even close to $9.99 for a 750ml? That's less than half the price per oz.

rainerschuhsler likes this.