(Obligatory) Cellar/Refrigeration Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mikeydoesit, Aug 19, 2018.

1. mikeydoesit

mikeydoesit Initiate (44) Sep 25, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hey guys, I know this has been covered likely ad nauseam for regulars of this board, but I wanted to identify my current situation and space available in hopes that it would serve as a better foundation for suggestion.

I live in an apartment with one other, and our fridge is always full with actual human food. I live in Philly, so weather fluctuates a lot, so long term basement storage is not a best practice. Additionally, it is a shared area of all three units so a chest freezer is not an option.

Whatever it is I obtain will have to be housed in my personal bedroom. I currently have a small square mini fridge (for cans, not many) and on top is a temporary 18 bottle wine cooler. But its loud and I have more than 18 bottles.

I currently have 50 bottles, prob 30 BA Stouts (500 ml mostly) and 20 Saisons (750 mostly but some 375). A small handful of lambic, so what I will need is something with adequate upright storage. I look and try to extrapolate how many I can fit upright vs laid down.

I am keeping pretty strict tabs on CL, FB Marketplace, but it might help if I had proper advice on exactly what would be best for my personal use. IE Wine Fridge/Cooler or Beverage Center.

Thanks and sorry so long just wanted to make freezer chest / temp controller or full size fridges aren't options.

2. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

A fridge full of human food? Disgusting! Wait...is this food for or of humans?

You’ll be fine stacking them in your room or closet. Beer only needs to be refrigerated if it loses quality with age (which can be subjective, such as IPAs). No offense, but it sounds like at your stage in life right now proper long term aging is something to look into when you are more stable and won’t be moving from for some time. All your BA stouts shouldn’t really be aged past 2-3 years at most, long term aging is better suited for English barleywine style and the sours/lambics and the like. So, stack those cases and plan a game night in 6/12 months to crack open a few bottles in that common area to share to help you get through what you’ve cellared before your palate goes numb from the high levels of alcohol :slight_smile:

3. mikeydoesit

Trader

I bought a second hand wine cooler yesterday for $65 had shelving cut at Lowe's today to store bottles upright, we will see. I would appreciate you picking that apart as well.

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,166) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Keep the temperature at a fairly steady level and you should be fine.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  5. youradhere

Trader

What kind of wood? You’ll want a moisture safe wood like cedar or Cyprus as the wine cooler will condense air moisture. That said, you likely got some white wood (poplar or similar) board cut up at the Depot, which will mold over time, but mold significantly less if you hit each shelf with 2-3 coats of spray varnish (I would recommend satin finish, but it’s your fridge). I had hemlock shelves in my keezer and they eventually developed mold spots over time, but only on the parts that came into contact with another surface.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  6. mikeydoesit

Trader

No, not wood, actually got white wire shelving cut. I realize even that isn’t the most long term solution at least in terms of aesthetics but it should serve its purpose. They cut it a little janky so I need to properly sand the edges so they aren’t a piece of weaponry but should work. I actually tried to delete the thread after obtaining the fridge because really my initial question was pretty much pro/con of wine fridge vs mini fridge and where to look other than obvious options. Thanks for the reply and input, if it were to have been wood, though!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  7. youradhere

Trader

Well yeah you’re good with wire shelves, why didn’t you lead with that lol?

IMO wine fridges are fancy mini fridges, some may have “humidity control” to some degree, but mechanically they are the same.

8. mikeydoesit

Trader

I didn't lead with it because I didn't have it at the time. The whole point of my post was whats better, a tall dorm style fridge or a wine fridge repurposed with flat shelving. When I didn't get much response, I went ahead and scooped a reasonably priced wine fridge second hand and some wire shelving from Lowe's to replace the contoured stock shelving.