October Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by osubeerkind, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osubeerkind

osubeerkind Initiate (45) Jan 12, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Guess I will get this started with some quick notes

Had a 2010 and 2012 Madame Rose side-by-side last weekend. The 2010 had more sour flavor, with much of the fruit falling off. The 2012 was the opposite with more fruit than sour. Both were still tasting very good and blending is highly recommended!

2. atypic

atypic Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 North Carolina

~1 y.o. Black Tuesday. Mindblowing as always, still my favorite beer. Can't say it's changed much in a year.

I look forward to hearing about the 2013 batch.

3. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Do you recommend drinking this fresh? I haven't had a good Buery beer yet. I'll look for this one soon. :)

4. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,494) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

2011 Black Tuesday tasted a lot sweeter (sugary caramel type of sweetness) than I remember the 2012 being a half year ago.. The heat has gone down a bit but is still very noticeable. We drank 2012 Chocolate Rain after that and that was so much better than the 2011 Black Tuesday in terms of the heat.

Roger85 likes this.
  5. atypic

1 y.o. Alesmith Wee Heavy. We loved aged Speedway Stout, but this one hadn't improved as much. Wee Heavy was our favorite fresh regular Alesmith brew, and we like it roughly as much one year in. But in terms of cellar investment, this one might as well be consumed fresh.

Sort of, and we also made notes. From what I can tell, it hasn't changed much in a year. Since it started out about as good as a beer could conceivably be, I guess that's a good thing.

6. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just opened a 2012 Three Floyd's Behemoth Barleywine. I loved this beer on tap fresh and wasn't sure if it could get better. (Actually preferred regular to BA version.) I just opened this after drinking a Hair of the Dog Fred and the Behemoth seems small. It's good but comes across as surprisingly thin. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the Fred, but I'm a little disappointed in what I'm getting from the Behemoth right now. VERY drinkable for the high ABV if anything.

garymuchow likes this.
  7. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Pretty convinced now that this beer is best fresh.

8. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,070) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Batch 2 Parabola (2011)

Drinking phenomenally.

HighWine likes this.
  9. Brew33

Brew33 Champion (844) Oct 24, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

2009 Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale

Showing some signs of oxidation. Past it's prime. I really like this one fresh to 1 year. I wouldn't push it past that. Carboard flavors were present but it was very smooth and drinkable. This is actually a fairly hoppy old ale so those 4 year old hop flavors aren't really playing nicely right now.

10. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (257) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Did a side by side tasting of Midnight Sun Berserker 2010, 2012 and 2013. Concensus was definitely 2010>2013>2012. 2010 was amazing and this years batch is very good as well, 2012 is pretty disappointing. Wish I had another 2010 to crack in another year, but I would highly recommend drinking a 2010 if you have one. And I doubt 2012 will get any better, might as well drink those too.

11. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,750) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Summit Batch 2 - 90/-Scottish Ale

This originally came out in about 11/09. Still looks well with nice, but rather small head, but lacing shows upon drinking. Surprised how little oxidation it holds - like none. A tad thin in the feel, but it tastes pretty darn good. Certainly mellowed, but still a nice drinking ale on a cool October evening. This one kept well.

12. ccrida

ccrida Poo-Bah (2,976) May 26, 2006 Oregon

2009 Pelican Wee Heavy

Wow, this is really delicious right now. Very nicely softened and rounded, without oxidation, steel fresh, with room to run. The malt has picked up some really nice grape notes without being at all cloying. Smooth, tasty, flavorful and fantastic.

atypic likes this.
  13. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,494) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

GI BCBS 2012. Drank beautifully. Decadent, even more flavourful than it was fresh.. more rounded around the edges, though its still an incredibly intense beer.

landrewg likes this.
  14. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (4,741) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Drinking a 2010 Evolution Winter Migration right now. I think it is MUCH better than it was fresh. The alcohol heat has died down quite a bit, making it much more bearable. It is a little bit sweeter, but pretty good. Don't see it getting any better, would recommend drinking it now.

Have had a few other things in the last 3-4 weeks:

2010 Pisgah Vortex II - Still great, but no real change from fresh. No real need to cellar it, but it didn't fall off at all. Lots of chocolate and roasted notes.

2010 Brooklyn Black OPS - It was a little bit less harsh than when it was fresh, slightly better, though still not great.

2012 Black Tuesday - No noticeable change from last winter, but still quite good. Good now or to sit on for a while.

2012 GI Bourbon County Stout - Also no noticeable change from last winter, but still quite good. Good now or to sit on for a while.

2012 Mother of all Storms - Fantastic right now; would drink it now.

2011 FFF Behemoth - Good...lots of caramel and fruit. Would drink now as it might have fallen off a tiny bit.

landrewg, atypic and corby112 like this.
  15. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

2012 Founders Backwoods Bastard: minimal change. Less vanilla, more cherry. Burnt sugar still there.

2012 Sierra Nevada Narwhal: this was different fresh than this year's batch (which has more licorice, less chocolate than last year), so this isn't necessarily a good guide for how the 2013 will age. But for what it's worth, the 2012 has more in the way of fruity malt (plums come to mind) and less of the coco flavors than it used to.

16. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Champion (800) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Bruery 5 Golden Rings was pretty disappointing. Too spicy and too much pineapple flavor coming through (Sadly, I'm finding lots of their brews are disappointing)

Stone Mint Choc. Imp. Stout was good. The mint had mellowed and seemed to be more enjoyable rathing than drinking toothpaste like last time.

'08 or '09 Left Hand Imp. Stout wasn't great either. Very thin, almosted tasted watered down and just seemed to be lacking flavor.

17. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (841) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

2009 stone old guardian great malt profile, a decent bitterness but low hop presence. overall it has held up well.
    2010 berkshire brewing good greg's private reserve wee heavy, oaky vanilla goodness, decent bourbon presence. still one of my favorite of the style

18. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (841) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Deviation bottle works IX - never had this beer fresh but I can't imagine this beer ever having been much better than it was. super sour beer, nice funk to it one of the best I have ever had. if you want to trade one let me know.

19. atypic

1 year old Alesmith Horny Devil - less coriander, more white grape. Overall a bit better, but not a ton different. I think it could use more time.

20. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,113) Mar 18, 2010 California

That beer was disappointing from the start in my opinion.

atypic and corby112 like this.
  21. OldPenguinHunter

OldPenguinHunter Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2010 California

I have many bottles of the Ale Smith Wee Heavy in my closet, and I must say that it is great after a year, it is great after more than a year, and it is great upon release. I have yet to over-age the beer, it's just great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.