Ode to Naragansett Summer Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

I am working on my 15th and final case of Naragansett Summer Ale for the year. I cleaned out the three stores in my area that sell it. This is my third Summer drinking it and I love it more every year. Out of the can or in a glass it tastes great. The clean, simple malt bill and light Citra hopping gives just a suggestion of grapefruit. My routine since Memorial Day has been to fill a cooler with ice, Kosher Salt, water and a 12 pack of Naragansett Summer Ale. I start drinking at Noon and work on it all day. I am sad to close another season of this but next weekend the Oktoberfest drinking begins. Next April I will place an order for a pallet of this stuff. If someone asked me: 'What beer could you not live without?', this would be it.

[​IMG]

2. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Honestly, this beer hasn't been the same since it came out back in 2011 imo.

DarkDragon999 likes this.
  3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wow, that's alotta 'Gansett. Cases of pounders or 12 oz.?

fx20736 likes this.
  4. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Savant (1,147) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Yes we've discussed this before. I think I only had it once this year. Never felt like going back to it.

5. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

It's not my favorite heatwave guzzler, but its a fine beer for the price like basically everything else they make. I didn't pick it up this year but I went through a couple of sixers last summer and enjoyed it.

Del's Shandy, on the other hand, I could drown in and be happy.

Urk1127 likes this.
  6. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ill always have a soft spot for this beer because of the memory of drinking 12-13 (completely lost track of time to beer consumption that day from all the games we played) one fine day of playing basketball, and drunkenly stumbling to hitting the ground of my backyard and waking up in that same spot hours later. Heres to you Gansett summer! Lol the only beer to date to make me look like a drunken fool.

Great beer though.

fx20736 likes this.
  7. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yikes my man, that's a lot of brew. If you did 15 cases of tallboys in roughly the last 100 days that's the equivalent of like five 12.oz beers per day. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but I'd have gotten burned out on the residual sweetness I always tend to taste in most 'Gansett products well into such a journey. I haven't had 'Gansett summer this year, perhaps I'll try to score one in the next week or two to see if I enjoy it any more now.

But hey man, cheers to you for supporting a brewery that's at least headquartered in Rhode Island.

8. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

16 oz Tallboys

mainly just drink it on weekends. I put away a case some weekends easily. Naragansett Summer Ale is definitely not sweet. It is Clean and dry. The 4.2 abv is perfect for prolonged Sun exposure.

9. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Savant (1,000) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Finally all this talk about pallets makes sense.:rolling_eyes:

10. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

This originally had a really nice Citra hop profile, I enjoyed it greatly back in 11 or 12 when I first had it. Sadly it fell off my radar. It is/was a great value for how it drank.

11. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

All Naragansett sixers were 6.99. When that was the case I would buy their Summer Ale all summer. Now in NY their sixers are 10.99 (except lager) and so now they don't get my cash.

Good beer though

mackeyse likes this.
  12. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Pooh-Bah (2,848) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Of all the summer ales out there I actually don't mind this one - didn't have the chance to pick it up this year but will give it another try next year

13. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Somewhat like that here. The bock, fest, were $8. Lager is still 5. But now the lovecraft series are around 12 and dels is the same. And now also fest, porter, bock are discontinued hopefully for just the moment.

14. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Pooh-Bah (1,691) Nov 16, 2005 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

A 12er of 16 ouncers dude that is cool. Checking my conversions if you can squeeze in one more 6er you are in the case in the face club!

15. mooseisloose

Pooh-Bah Society

Same thing happened with Leinenkugels put a foil wrapper on it an the Chicagoans get confused and pay top dollar. Now the foil wrapper is gone but the price stayed up.

16. mooseisloose

Pooh-Bah Society

Just imagine the dedicated beer experts that would down 4 24 oz Shlitz tallboys on a daily basis, now there is is professionalism.

17. beernooph

beernooph Zealot (647) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut

Love the gansett!

18. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Finally started seeing the Gansett Lager in MD this summer and picked up a 4pack tall boys for $3.99. Tasted really good for the style (right up there with High Life and Coors Banquet for me). I didn't see any summer ales in my area though.

19. Wasatch

Wasatch Grand Pooh-Bah (5,406) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A deceit brew. I first had a Narragansett brew was probably back around 71.

Cheers!

20. VetsPackage

VetsPackage Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Used to have galaxy hops in the bill, for one reason or another they strayed away from using them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.