Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News Odell retires 750ml bottle format

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

2. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,121) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

That'd be great if more breweries followed suit.

3. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,162) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Good riddance. Throw those into smaller formats and lower the price.

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,358) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Odells has always been a favorite,now another reason to like them more. Hopefully this leads other to follow.

HorseheadsHophead and Bitterbill like this.
  5. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I have never seen Odell in bombers, but hopefully this is a trend. I'm OK with bombers if the brewer is feeling out the market for a new beer, but when it is shown to be a success it would be great if brewers would switch to 12oz. Bombers often mean a $10 to $25 investment to try a beer, and many seem to be high-ABV to help drinkers somewhat justify the higher cost. This often makes a bomber the equivalent of a six pack of "normal" 12oz 4.2% ABV beers, which is a lot if you're drinking alone.

HorseheadsHophead and Bitterbill like this.
  6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (528) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Beergeeks aren't very good at math. The shift in market from 6 packs of 12 oz to 4 packs @ 16 oz (usually with a $2+ upper - but CANZ!!) is concerning.

But yeah death to 750 mls & bombers.

7. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,162) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Cans are, literally, a shiny new toy:wink:

But, hey, the breweries doing this are shrewd capitalists -- they see the demand and aren't leaving money on the table. Fair enough, I guess. Just too rich for my blood, quite often.

8. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Ten Paces is worthy of being the last 750ml Odell comes out with.

9. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Aspirant (272) Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

As in it's really good or not very good?

10. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

I liked it.

11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (437) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Everyone should be able to do the "price per oz." math in their head and think, "Why the fuck am I paying way more for this one bomber or 750, than I am for two 12 oz. bottles?"

Squire123 likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.