Off Flavor in Hoppy Homebrews

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BetaAcid, Mar 12, 2020.

1. BetaAcid

BetaAcid Initiate (84) May 10, 2009 Connecticut

Hi, I have been a member here for a long time but never posted. I recently got back into home brewing and I’ve run into an issue. I have also seen a lot of forum posts across different home brewing forums with the same issue, however, none of the posts ever seem to get solved. I have decided to post my progress on figuring this out; hopefully this will help somebody in the process. Also feel free to jump in if you feel froggy.

Recently I have continued to get this off flavor, but only in my hoppy beers. I know “off flavor” is vague but it’s like nothing I have ever tasted nor does it seem to fit any descriptors. The flavor seems to completely (or some cases almost completely) mute the flavor of the hops and just leaves a generic bitterness (sometimes very strong bitterness). Sometimes I have been able to drink past this, after the first few sips, the beer becomes tolerable but just barely.

I have even used a Two Hearted clone recipe bought directly from Bells. I will say that I brew 3 gallon batches and I did modify to make that clone for 3 gallons.

Again this is only in my hoppy beers, I have brewed malt forward beers and none of them had the flavor.

Things I have illuminated:

-Chlorine or chloramine in my water

I have used campden tablets, and I also I have used all distilled water and filtered water for wort and rinsing.

-Tanins

I made sure my mash temps and ph were good, and now I have recently went back to extract until I can figure it out.

-Hops

I have reduced the amount of hops I was using and on my last batch I only boiled for 30mins: My bittering charge was at 30mins then I added hops at 20mins, then the rest were WP and DH.

-Fermentation Temps

Sometimes my basement will get hot and I’ve seen the FV thermometer strip hit 76. I have used my fridge to keep it at 70 and below. I have recently bought a Tilt Hydrometer and so I will see what the actual temp is.

My next batch I am not going to mess with water chem, not add dextrose to increase SG, not put my recirc tube into my hop spider(don’t judge me I thought this would increase contact with hops), and try not to transfer hop matter from BK into my FV.

If this batch turns out I will post the results and add back each one of things one at a time until I figure out what the culprit is.

I know I didn’t post specifics but if anybody has had a similar experience and wants to post what helped them, go ahead.

Cheers

2. chrisrennier

chrisrennier Initiate (48) Nov 8, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I had a few beers have a mystery off flavor last year using BIAB method. I think it’s because I was crushing the grains too fine and boiling basically a large amount of grain powder.

For every batch that I just milled once at the LHBS I never had that hard to describe tanniny impossible to drink off flavor.

do you think this could be a possibly for you?

Jasonja1474 and BetaAcid like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

BetaAcid likes this.
  4. BetaAcid

I thought it might be; to eliminate this, my last batch I did DME and the flavor is still there.

Thanks

#4 BetaAcid, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Jasonja1474 likes this.
  5. BetaAcid

It sort of does, this is the closest description of an off-flavor, that’s why focused on my mash ph, temps, and making sure no grains were getting into my BK. I then switched back to extract to eliminate the grain aspect. I also in an effort to limit the over bittering I limited the boil to 30 mins. The next thing I can think of is the hop matter getting transferred to the FV could cause astringency if that’s what it is.

Thanks

#5 BetaAcid, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  6. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Hard to pinpoint but try filtering better going into the fermentor and only dry hop for 2 days. Is it bitter when you're done boiling.

BetaAcid likes this.
  7. skleice

skleice Aspirant (272) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

What's your packaging process? Keg/bottle? Oxidation can mute hops.

BetaAcid likes this.
  8. BetaAcid

I’m def gonna try to filter out the hop matter that gets to the FV. It is sweet and bitter.

9. BetaAcid

I told myself I would never bottle again; for me to get back into Homebrew, I started kegging. I am careful about O2, I purge the keg properly and try to be as gentle as possible. I don’t think it is oxidation...

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  10. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (89) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

When I read your initial post, I immediately thought oxidation. When I started out I went through this same problem. I was brewing really great non hoppy beers, but all of hop forward beers wound up with this 'flavor'. It was hard to describe, but I was calling it sweet, apple like, brandy like, metallic even, and it frustrated the hell out of me. Oxidation as an off flavor is always described in brewing books as 'cardboardy', or stale or what have you, so I never thought this was my problem. Instead I thought it could be acetaldehyde or run away esters, water problems, sparge temps, or any other number of things, but it wasn't.

When I started kegging, at first I didn't bother purging my kegs, and the 'flavor' was still there. I grew VERY frustrated. Eventually I started properly purging my kegs and zeroed in on this being the issue. The whole time it was oxidation, on this I am 100% positive.

So what exactly is your keg purging process? Because in my mind, there is no greater killer of hop flavor than oxidation, and what you are describing sounds just like it.

Naugled, MrOH, BetaAcid and 1 other person like this.
  11. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (203) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

@BetaAcid where do you buy your hops from?

BetaAcid likes this.
  12. BetaAcid

For purging, I fill the keg with CO2 then purge. I repeat this 2 more times. Then I put the beer in the keg using a tube from my FV’s spigot, I have a ballon filled with CO2 inserted where the airlock goes. I then close the keg, fill with CO2 and purge, I repeat 2 more times then start carbonation.

thebriansmaude likes this.
  13. BetaAcid

I buy them from adventures in Homebrewing www.homebrewing.org. They smell fine when I open the pack.

14. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (89) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

@BetaAcid , have you considered purging your keg by filling to the brim with sanitizer, then pushing it out with CO2? or better yet, hooking up your blowoff on your fermenter to the liquid out line of your keg, then gas line to bucket air lock ? You will get much lower O2 levels using these methods, and use less CO2.

Another vector is dry hop timing - if you add dry hops with a few points left in fermentation, you can avoid some potential O2 problems. Another good option is dry hopping only in the keg - you can avoid O2 pickup this way and get some pretty amazing hop character.
    Good luck !

BetaAcid likes this.
  15. BetaAcid

Interesting I will have to try this. I do fill my keg up with sanitizer and push out with CO2 in my current process, though probably not up to the brim.

I will say that the one time I added a second charge of dry hops to the keg, I had a nice hop aroma and a little flavor that helped make the off-flavor a little more tolerable.

Thanks.

16. BetaAcid

I also forgot to mention that this flavor is present when I take my reading for FG so I don’t think packaging is when the problem occurs. However, I have never sampled prior to dry hopping, so I will try that next as well.

17. BetaAcid

I got another batch in on Monday.

-I only added DME for fermentables.
    - I tried to leave as much kettle grub in the BK as possible. I did have to tip my BK because my pump broke after WP and gravity only transferred about 2.25 gals of the 4 that were in the BK.
    -I did however filter this through a mesh bag on top of a strainer.
    - I did not mess with water chem.
    - I kept my recirc tube out of my hop spider.
    - I used the Tilt for the first time.

We’ll see how it goes in a day or two.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  18. BetaAcid

So I tasted a gravity sample and it did not have the extreme bitterness; it did have the strange flavor/aroma that muted the hop flavor/aroma.

So:
    -I think that too much hop matter was getting into my fermenter. This caused the extreme bitterness.

-I’ve read that high fermentation temps with S-04 cause a strange off flavor. I used my new Tilt Hydrometer that logged temps over 75F. I also noticed evidence of the high temp because the first hydrometer sample I took had a lot of esters: banana and raspberry, it also a harsher alcoholic flavor. I raised the temp after fermentation was right at the end, if not done to try to push some of this out. I wasn’t sure if this was going to work so I did not dry hop this in the FV cause, why waste hops if it doesn’t turn out.

The good news is that this batch isn’t completely undrinkable: like if the liquor stores shutdown and I need beer I could drink this. I will dry hop this in the keg since I didn’t in the FV and see if I can cover up some of it.

Next batch I’ll continue to keep hop matter out of my FV. I will also keep ferm temps below 68F.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

19. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (347) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

The bitterness found when tasting gravity samples is often times yeast derived. You are literally tasting yeast, which is bitter.

IMHO Negative fermentation flavors and aromas from So4 can show up even above 66. It can be weirdly bready and lactic. It absolutely needs to be kept pretty cold in my mind. Others will disagree. I’d keep it at max 64 until the very tail end of fermentation.

If you’re stuck using dry yeast and have a harder time controlling temps US05 is incredibly forgiving at higher temps. A lot will say it’s actually cleaner at 70/72 than 64.

And yeah you really should try to keep as much break material/hop trub out of the fermenter as possible.

You said you’re checking pH? But you’re not messing with water chemistry? They kind of go hand in hand.

20. BetaAcid

@wasatchback

Good to know I will keep ferm temps under 64.

As far as break/hop material, I’m def keeping it out of the FV from now on; it was never an issue until I started with hop forward beers.

I was checking Ph when I was doing all grain and messing with water chem. I stopped with both water chem and Ph when I started with DME. I was tired of wasting an entire day on a beer that didn’t turn out so I started using DME until I figured out what was going on. Also it would eliminate the factor of tannins coming from gain.

Thanks for the info!

21. BetaAcid

So the keg hops covered up most of... well most of everything. It’s not as bad as before. I upgrade this from quarantine last resort to... close to what some people charge money for. Cheers

22. BetaAcid

23. BetaAcid

24. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,884) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

When you put an image link into Image dialog box, make sure it's the link to the actual image (ending in .jpg or whatever). As you can see, if you use the link to the imgur web page that displays the picture in imgur, it won't show up here.

PapaGoose03, riptorn and BetaAcid like this.
  25. BetaAcid