Off the beaten path breweries...

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Miles_in_beer_city, May 1, 2021.

1. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Pundit (848) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

We got in a rut, pre-COVID, going to the same breweries week after week and forgetting to explore on road trips. Now that we are vaccinated, and things are opening back up, and nice weather, combined with many places have expanded and improved outdoor spaces we have been venturing out again.

Every place we have been has done a great job of providing a safe space, under COVID guidelines, but after a break in routine from weekly visits, we realized we wanted to explore further afield.

We live in a county with 50+ breweries, and brewery tasting rooms, 90% of which are within 10 miles of my house. Been to virtually all of them, have some favorites, and can say none on our "we won't be back list".

But let's venture further off the beaten path, to a new brewery that is the only brewery in the that county. Visited such a brewery today, and was not disappointed, actually impressed. The beer was good, don't think we had any medal winners in a contest, but solid good beer. Sampled 8 of them with flights, then settled on a couple to have with our food. The food was also good, variety of offerings, and at very reasonable prices. The vibe and the service were exceptional!

The brewery is housed in a former prison that was built in the 1930s, and carries that theme in naming its beers. 11 house brews on tap, plus guest taps for cider and a sour, in addition to wine for the non-beer crowd.

Next week off to find another brewery off the beaten path, but if you find yourself along Interstate 26 near the NC/SC line check out "Iron Key Brewing" in Columbus, NC (I think they are up to having 3 stop lights now), only a mile or so from the interstate. We were presently surprised. They opened August 2020, a tough time to start any business.
    https://ironkeybrewing.com/

I think next week will probably be a visit to Big Pillow Brewing (named after a rapid in the river) in Hot Springs, NC.

2. CarolinaCardinals

CarolinaCardinals Grand Pooh-Bah (4,765) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am totally impressed you @Miles_in_beer_city have hit all of the breweries in Buncombe County and appreciate your spirit of adventure venturing out to various counties in WNC! I did manage to get to Burial several weeks back.
    My short term goal is to hit the six Hendersonville breweries over the next couple of months. Have managed to find a few folks in my community down here in Henderson County with an affinity for good beer and suspect some sampling will be happening soon. Just finishing up the transition into our new home and free time is opening up. Actually plan on dining at Sierra Nevada this weekend.
    Cheers,
    Tom

MonkeyBread likes this.
  3. Miles_in_beer_city

Tom, I did have a bit of advantage, we started exploring breweries when there were only 4 or 5 in Asheville. With an ear out for new ones, we visited a number on their opening day, or during their soft opening.

Still a work in progress, as the past year definitely hampered exploring new breweries, but working on that list also.

4. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Pundit (813) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

For my off the beaten path addition...
    Carolina Bauernhaus Brewery in Anderson SC. Great beers, great spot, nobody there. This place would be a favorite in Charlotte or Asheville. All kinds of BA sours, saisons, stouts. Everything I had a few weeks ago was great.

5. bowery

bowery Devotee (328) Jul 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Pen Druid in Sperryville, VA is a little off the beaten path but has really nice views of the Shenendoah mountains and a great vibe all around.

6. CarolinaCardinals

Pooh-Bah Society

Da Boss and i will be up at Massanutten in September and will check this out when in the area.
    Cheers,
    Tom

bowery likes this.
  7. Miles_in_beer_city

It seems that breweries, both existing and startups, are discovering there are opportunities off the beaten path.

Story on the Asheville TV news.
    https://wlos.com/news/local/tourist...-businesses-outside-asheville-off-beaten-path.

For those not familiar, population of Hot Springs is 581, and Old Fort 938.
    So much for someone that alluded to a brewery is foolish to open in a place below a million in another thread.

FLBeerGuy and Immortale25 like this.
  8. CarolinaCardinals

Pooh-Bah Society

Made it to Iron Key last weekend. Solid lineup of how brewpub beer lineups looked 10 years ago which is not a bad thing! The patio was very relaxing and made the stop worthwhile! The porter was pretty solid and ended up getting a crowler to take to a neighborhood tasting. Food was pretty mediocre and I am here to testify I am not picky when it comes to brewpub food. Overall definitely worthy of a try if you are in the area for the beer and the vibe!

Miles_in_beer_city likes this.
  9. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Also coming to Old Fort soon, look out for Whaley Farm Brewing! They'll be specializing in lagers and farmhouse style beers

https://mcdowellnews.com/news/whale...cle_03eeacb8-0a17-559c-b2c2-0c34708a32bc.html

10. Miles_in_beer_city

That article is over a year old, stating they hoped the next spring. Looking on Instagram, they are definitely coming along, building, tanks, etc., and like most target dates, things slip.
    https://www.instagram.com/whaleyfarmbrewery/?hl=en

Old Fort may end up having the greatest number of breweries per capita, with 2 breweries and a population less than 1,000.

11. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Pooh-Bah (1,659) Sep 4, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sylva has a handful of breweries for only a 2K pop. Couple of them are even good.

12. Miles_in_beer_city

I wonder if your less than stellar food experience was an issue with staffing. It's so bad that they have closed temporarily due to kitchen staffing challenges. It is a growing problem effecting many businesses.

13. Miles_in_beer_city

Another off the beaten path brewery visit. Actually, 2 in one day.

Big Pillow, Hot Springs, NC (pop 532). Almost an hour drive from Asheville, but a pleasant drive, without crazy traffic or road construction (thinking of I26). Cross the river and railroad track and take an immediate right. Nice facility, indoor and outdoor spaces. 12 taps, IPA dominate, but a variety including a seltzer and a sour. Tried a couple of flights and found to be very drinkable... some just aren't my style.
    Didn't eat there, as not hungry yet, but food looked good, sold from a separate window. Dog and kid friendly.

On the way back we stopped at the second of three breweries in the county, MAD CO. in Marshall, NC (pop 782). Squeezed between the main street and the river and railroad tracks right next door to the fire department. Small deck overlooking the river was pleasant, and enjoyed a couple of IPAs. Indoor area, including indoor area that allows dogs (closest to the street).

Pizza made from scratch is an option. It's not a hot and ready thing, as it takes a while, but was very good. Besides, you are sitting there drinking a beer and watching the ducks and geese in the river.

14. CarolinaCardinals

Pooh-Bah Society

More than likely Miles. Given my bad experience with buying a brand new house during the pandemic, staffing issues are a challenge across a decent number of industries!

15. imtroy703

imtroy703 Zealot (623) Nov 13, 2009 Virginia
    Society Trader

What brewery is this?

16. CarolinaCardinals

Pooh-Bah Society

"Iron Key Brewing" in Columbus, NC

17. imtroy703

imtroy703 Zealot (623) Nov 13, 2009 Virginia
    Society Trader

Mecan River Brewing in Coloma, WI. Go for the beer. Stay for the bathroom. I didn’t want to take a picture of the bathroom. People do though. It is made for a king! Great beer flavored beer. Not a single high AA hop in site

lateralusbeer likes this.
  18. CarolinaCardinals

Pooh-Bah Society

Spent a week in the Lake Lure, NC area recently and hit up Hickory Nut Gorge BC in Chimney Rock. The outdoor seating was awesome with the brewpub having 4 decks overlooking the Broad River. The beers were hit and miss with the Cask being the "hit". Fish 'n Chips were well made too. Definitely worth the one-time stop if you are in the area!

19. Miles_in_beer_city

Made it to another off the beaten path breweries. This one has been on my list for a while now, but since they are only open Fri - Sun, never worked out. And yes, you will need Google Maps to find it.

Sideways Farm & Brewery
    , Etowah NC (between Brevard and Hendersonville). Small brewery run by a husband and wife, in a very nice setting, and have rotating food trucks.

There will always be something new and different, as they number every recipe, so you might see something like "128 - Amarillo Summer IPA -NC" on the menu. If they repeat a recipe for a popular beer, it will be indicated with a decimal, such as "98.1 - Belgian Dubbel - NC". By the way, both were very good.

They also produce Hard Jun (kombuchs's cousin), plus you can purchase farm fresh eggs, both chicken and duck, and wildflower honey.

FLBeerGuy, TGBooks, treznor and 2 others like this.
  20. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Sideways Farm is worth the trip. Really nice family and very good beer. I enjoyed the rural, off the beaten path vibe of the place.