Off to Indy this weekend...

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by NickDrista, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickDrista

NickDrista Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Hi all,

A couple buddies and i are heading out to Indy for Pats / colts and we want to hit a few breweries Saturday and also hit a good beer store if possible. We are staying in the embassy suites.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Thanks

Nick

2. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

Embassy Suites downtown or North? Hopefully downtown. You've got access to a number of places. Two liquor stores downtown called Crown and Big Red. Crowd is much nicer in terms of look and selection, but you can find thing a at Big Red.

Bars: Tomlinson Tap room in the city market is sleepy on Saturdays, but they have 16 taps of Indiana only beers. I would head over to Mass Ave to hit MacNivens, Old Point, Bru Burger, Rathskeller, Chatham Tap, Ralstons tap house.

Breweries: you can now get pints at Sun King (except Fridays) and Flat 12 is close to them. I highly recommend a cab out to Black Acre in Irvington. Their Sunday brunch might be right up you alley to start your Sunday.

If you are looking for a really great food/drink combo I really enjoy The Libertine. More for mixed drinks though with a small beer menu.

Breakfast I would hit Cafe Patachou for a good base of drinking. Enjoy the city, and don't look bad on the city when you go home with a loss on Sunday night!

Cheers!

#2 TheodorHerzl, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. NickDrista

Thanks dude!! Yes we are staying downtown embassy suites.
    And I won't look down if the pats lose. Haha. I hear it's an awesome city and the locals are nice to outsiders. Really looking forward to the trip!

aasher likes this.
  4. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

Downtown is super easy to get around. Between the cultural trail and the bike share program it is an easy city to navigate. Check out Georgia street on Sunday. That is a fun area on game day. It is close to Lucas Oil and lots of people will be out. You are allowed to drink on the street in Indy, so you can get bullets from breweries and walk around downtown with them. If you do that I recommend Rock Bottom. Yes, it's a chain, but Jerry (the brewmaster) is making some incredible beer there that is non-house beer. Cabs are a hell of a premium, so get the number of a cab and have it ready to call 30 mins before you want to leave.

Jho3325 likes this.
  5. psykosis

psykosis Initiate (0) May 21, 2009 Indiana

@TheodorHerzl hit most of the points I'd make. I'd suggest skipping Indiana City and Tow Yard, though Tow Yard makes for a decent place to tailgate/pregame as long as you stick to the guest taps. Black Acre, Outliers, Brugge and Bier are my favorites in town. Outliers has really limited hours, and the others are all a cab/uber ride away. On saturday, I'd be happy to show you and your friends around if you want to save the cab fare (I think I'm turning into the BA Beer Taxi, but I'm good with that). Crown Liquors is your best shopping choice downtown. If you are willing to travel, Kahns on Keystone is a bright spot, and so is Parti Pak on the south side (god help you if you want prices there through).

NickDrista and Jho3325 like this.
  6. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (350) May 17, 2013 Illinois

I'm actually headed to Indy for the Redskins (yes, I'm an idiot) game in three weeks. Pops and I have started a tradition of seeing a 'Skins game within driving distance. This will be the fourth year. I'll be checking back in with this thread as we get closer for advice. Thanks!

7. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,374) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I feel I should give warning that I won't be in (at Kahn's) this Saturday because I have tickets for Falcons at Panthers in Charlotte.

spicoli00 likes this.
  8. Jho3325

Jho3325 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2013 Indiana

Nice analysis @TheodorHerzl and @psykosis. As Psykosis mentioned, it may be worth hitting up a few spots in Broadripple (Brugge (mussels, frites, and triple de ripple and you are set!, 20 Tap, Bier, and of course Kahns). Patachou omelets with the cinnamon toast is my gameday ritual - you won't be disappointed with breakfast there.

If you're interested in seeing the players, the Pats usually stay at the Sheraton in Keystone at the Crossing (far Northside of Indy), but I don't know for sure if they are staying there again this time.

9. psykosis

Oh, and Brugge now has bottles of their Tripel to go. God I love that place.

10. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (625) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

You could head up to the Rip for Hop Cat, Twenty Tap, Upland Tasting Room, Aristocrat, Brugge and Flatwater; mostly close to each other. Twenty Tap has a to go license and of course growler fills at Upland.

Bier Brewery is making some great stuff, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

11. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

Havent been to Brugge for a while....i really need to get back there soon.

12. psykosis

It's always a good time to go to Brugge. They have Tripel bottles for $10, plus they have growlers of the Outliers ready to go.

13. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

Tripel isn't really my thing, but I absolutely love their Frites, sauces, and that nutella crepe....need to go soon.

14. NickDrista

Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to this trip!!!

15. DavidMiller77

DavidMiller77 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Michigan

If you get there early enough Saturday, the Upland Sour Sale starts at noon. Get there at 11:30 and you should be out of there by 12:30. Go Pats. http://uplandbeer.com/public-sour-sale-2/

mountingfrustration likes this.
  16. NickDrista

I wish my friends were sour fans. They are mostly hoppy beer kind of drinkers

17. psykosis

Sun King's IPA's are decent. Black Acre's Saucy Intruder rye IPA is awesome. Outliers' rye IPA (forget the name) is really damn good too. And if you do go to Upland to get some sours, they have hoppy beers on tap too. I think they still have their Harvest Ale, which should make your friends happy.

Jho3325 likes this.
  18. NickDrista

I've had sun king grape fruit jungle it it was excellent!!!

mcrago likes this.
  19. psykosis

that's long since gone, but they have some decent options right now, which is hard for me to say as I really don't care for them.

20. BeerGreg

Headed to Indy this weekend. Any other advice that hasn't been addressed in this thread previously?

21. psykosis

Go to Kahn's for Black Friday.

22. BeerGreg

Won't be in Indy until Saturday.

23. psykosis

:/

Then I stand by the above suggestions.

24. DaPuba

DaPuba Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Michigan

25. BeerGreg

Spent most of Saturday evening at MacNiven's and the Sports Page. I had the burger at MacNiven's. If you've never had it, you'll be surprised like I was when they brought it out. Not the most appealing to the eyes, but damn, it's delicious. Got the onion rings as well, which were the biggest I've ever seen. They gave me two as the side order, and I was only able to finish one of them. HUGE. Great taplist at MacNiven's. Would definitely go back!

TheodorHerzl likes this.
  26. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Ill be there this Saturday for the B10 championship game so thanks as well. Had a great time last year but didn't really search out any craft bars downtown. Was able to grab BCBS tho which was nice.

27. BeerGreg

MacNiven's had BCBS. Bartender said they have ALL the variants this year, but will only tap them one at a time. You might get lucky. They also had four FFF offerings (Arctic Panzer, Alpha King, Alpha Klaus, and Robert the Bruce). We walked there from our hotel, which was directly next to Lucas Oil. It's 1.5 miles from the stadium.

#27 BeerGreg, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    BT_Bobandy likes this.
  28. gcrfire3

gcrfire3 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2015 Indiana

GFJ is back in Indy for a limited time... deliciousness!

NickDrista likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.