Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Official Dark Horse 4 Elf Party Thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefeld

jefeld Mar 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

so what it sounds like is there was another clusterfuck of a slow moving line (expected, nothing to be shocked or all that pissed about) and only two 100 % certifiably pure gold bottled beers for sale, bb monster and bb plead . . . is this accurate? I'm sure food was great again!
    Lukafer likes this.
  2. pschul4

pschul4 Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I know that feel bro, I missed out on Cherry Rye all over Chicago on Black Friday. It's just part of playing the limited release game. Chalk it up to experience and next time you'll be the one who scores the .rars
  3. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

Dark Horse 4 elf party the "stand in line for 6 hours party" seriously a 5 year old could do a better job of organizing
    Lukafer likes this.
  4. sarcastro

sarcastro Sep 20, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think the bottle release was poorly run. It was insanely slow. I was #202 and got my bottles at around 8 pm, that is 5 hours. Luckily I didnt stay in line or I would have went insane. The best part was waiting for the tokens in the morning. I had a lot of fun then sharing beers and meeting new BAs. I am done after the clusterfuck this turned into, there is not enough room and resources for the amount of people that show up.
    tjohn2401 and Lukafer like this.
  5. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

and the 100 people around me all agreed that this was not planned well and a horrible event. It's the vocal minority on here that camped out since midnight that think it went okay. Everyone else hated it and hated darkhorse
    Lukafer likes this.
  6. jefeld

jefeld Mar 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

what it sounds like is that people had to wait in long lines one way or the other. either wait in line starting at 6 am outside for 5 hrs in order to get a low numbered token, then wait until 3 in order to get beer within an hour or so, or show up closer to 11, get a high number token, wait until 3, and then keep waiting until 7-8 pm in order to buy beer.
  7. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

What number were you in line? I had friends up and down the line and no one felt that way.
    MichPaul likes this.
  8. dblab33

dblab33 Dec 9, 2011 Michigan

All the hate makes me chuckle. We had an awesome day and it's too bad others didn't. They were moving as fast as they could at the register, not sure how you could expect it to go quicker. Some suggestions for improvement would probably make the sour grapes a little sweeter. Bitch just to bitch I guess.
  9. tniaPSM

tniaPSM Dec 5, 2012 Viet Nam

This is so fun.

Some real class act BAs.

And a group of whining fucking amateurs.

You can feel free to assign which group you are in yourself (think it is pretty obvious to most of us).
  10. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

305, by 7pm they were on 150 which was where my buddy was at so we just split the allotment and bounced. Honestly 150 customers should not take 4 hours. Trying to argue otherwise, you might as well tattoo idiot on your forehead. Everyone around us was upset. They were ill prepared.
  11. syu3003

syu3003 May 4, 2011 Michigan

The dark horse people are some of the nicest most down to earth people I've met and certainly I'm thankful for the kick ass party they threw. I must say it was pretty frustrating waiting about 12 hours in line since the bottle sales were god awful slow, and although it seemed like things could have been run more efficient I'm still grateful. I was 226 and got to buy everything I wanted, so I left pleased, however as it appears, 50 people more and I would have gotten shut out... Which would have not been a good time...

Definitely running around bottle sharing made standing in the freezing cold tolerable, but its what we do to ourselves i guess. Thanks to dark horse for the day! Cheers!
    raymo55 likes this.
  12. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

I've been to many beer releases/events and this by far was the worst. everyone agreed. And for all the people that bitch about dld, this was 100 times worse.
    Lukafer likes this.
  13. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

So what you're saying is that you had a shitty time, and it was a poorly done release?

Your bottles are "super-whales" now, congratulations!

Bro, Beer, Chill.
  14. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

I agree they are nice. But they just have no clue how to manage an event. They really need to hire a brand new management staff. They are a joke. I don't have a problem with their personality, their beer, I have a problem with their lack of organization and professionalism. If they ever want to expand more they need to grow up and learn some good TQM and streamline process. This is armature stuff that they can't even grasp. I would hate to see their accounting books.
  15. bierenutz

bierenutz Jan 21, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

You're full of shit. You and the "vocal minority" that haven't been paying attention to how the releases have gone in the past couple of years need to wake up and stop whining when you show up later than you needed to get your bottles and then enjoy the taps and food. Why don't you do us all a favor and stop coming to these events so we do not have to read your drivel.
  16. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Sounds like you woke up late and have a lot of butt hurt.
  17. Kayn169

Kayn169 Jan 9, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Ok, I got my case, and that is the only thing I wanted, so no "sour grapes" here on what I got. This was however a pourly run beer line. Seriously, I'd didn't matter I'd you we're 20th or 200th, still poorly run. After 1.5 hours, they only got through 30 ppl. How does that happen? I very much appriciate everything they did. Food was very interesting, and again very much appriciated. They don't have to put on events like this, but your can't complain about criticism when it takes that long to get through so few ppl.
    ravot likes this.
  18. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

If you didn't go to have a good time, then you were doing it wrong. It's those people who "Only wanted" to get their case, that got there too late to do so, who are now wielding pitch-forks saying how terrible Dark Horse is.

It's a great brewery. The tap list was CRAZY for this.... What more do you want? (other than the entitlement mentality to get every bottle that was listed, by waking up, scratching your butt for a couple hours, and showing up 8 hours after the line started?)
    JohnB87, Spartan213 and Mscarpen like this.
  19. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Sigh...I fear my "official" thread is about to be locked. It was a good run my friends.
    JohnB87, funhog, dblab33 and 2 others like this.
  20. Jparkanzky

Really? It all sells pretty well here.
    MichPaul likes this.
  21. Lukafer

Lukafer Dec 18, 2009 Michigan

Cool story bro, get a hobby Dan.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  22. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Jul 30, 2011 Indiana

I thought my name was Dave
  23. pschul4

Beer Trader

It was a valiant effort. And I'm sure that 99% of the people who went to 4elf (the people who had fun) appreciate threads like this so they can get to know others that are going as well
    woodchopper likes this.
  24. woodchopper

woodchopper Jul 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thanks dark horse for another great time and loads of fun....

Woodchopper has left the building!!!!

Please turn out the lights :)
    kawilliams81 likes this.
  25. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

It's not "His" case though., he didn't get "A" case, but you can't say "You didn't get your case" It's not like Dark Horse was bottling beer, putting it in a cases, and as they came off the assembly line, there was a guy who pulled out a sharpie and wrote: BROHAMIDALI on it. He was never entitled to a case/4-pack/whatever to begin with, and the feeling that he WAS, is what is causing all of this butt-hurt now.
  26. detroiter

detroiter Aug 4, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I was # 279 and I was about 6 people away when they cut down the signs and acknowledged there was no more bbpt5 or bb monster 29. That was at about 9:30 or so PM. Was the draft list amazing? yes. Was the food and beer worth the $5. Yes. Was finding out that at 9 PM you could not get any of the beer you showed up at 10am to get very disappointing? Even more so.
  27. williamDbar

williamDbar Jul 5, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I think the event went well. I got my case of BA Plead the 5th, my Monster & my BBL Monster...and I was 3 1/2 hrs away at work all day! I did it the old fashioned way...I hired a damn mule.
  28. Jparkanzky

When those guys get back, we'll have to hang out!

EDIT: Still got that Geueuzuzeuzueue for me?
  29. williamDbar

Beer Trader

Yes we will! Maybe even this next weekend, that is if you aren't heading down to JO's.
  30. Jparkanzky

Head down to Jackie O's???? And spend 15 minutes in line for breakfast??? NO THANKS!

I demand my eggs and coffee in 8 minutes or less!

Watching Steve's check-ins, it looks like he had a BLAST at 4Elf. Did Bergitty end up going?
    MarkIntihar and Shagtastic like this.
  31. williamDbar

Beer Trader

Yes I still have your Geueueueuze! Yes Bergitty went and he is already back home passed out on his couch from an over abundance of pizza and bitching about not having enough pizza. Him and Faulstich got back around 9.
    pschul4 likes this.
  32. pschul4

Beer Trader

I dont even know what you guys are talking about and this got me lol'in

Cheers homies
    williamDbar likes this.
  33. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Jul 21, 2008 Michigan

The markup on those Red Baron pizza's are incredible.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  34. travMI13

travMI13 Jan 7, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Today was a lot of fun. Honestly, it was more fun than I expected it to be when I saw how massive the line was this morning. I went solo (due to some people backing out), and I ended up meeting up with a ton of people that I've hung out with at previous beer events over the past year. I even hooked up with a group of BA's for most of the day to grab a table and share pours of most of the taps. That was awesome. The comrarderie of the entire day was very enjoyable.

I got my token late: 328. So, yeah, I was late to the party, and I missed out on some bottles. But, some great BA's who were there earlier hooked me up with a few of the bottles of that a I really wanted: Monster, BB Monster, and BBPt5. In turn, I can now hook up my friends who could not come with a bottle each of two of the things they wanted. Relationships really are what make this a great hobby.

As for the bottle line? Yes, it was a mess. They really did need a few more people working registers and handing out beer. However, after 200-250 max last year, they didn't expect this, and they are already working hard to improve for next year. I talked to one of the guys working the cash register, and they all felt bad. They talked about cutting allotments, but they knew that would piss people off too. It was a no-win situation. All they can do is work at it and try to get better next year.

People need to remember: This is not a big brewery in a major city like Founders in Grand Rapids. This is a slasher/metal/skater brewpub in a town of 1000. Disappointment is understandable, but everyone has to cut the dudes some slack.
  35. Irishize75

Irishize75 Nov 4, 2012 California

The bottle line really was absurd, there is little doubt about that. I had a good time, met some cool people and drank some really good beers from a great draft lineup. At #265, I would have probably gotten shut out, had it not been for the incredible generosity of a guy and his girl right behind me in line who were complete strangers at 11:00 this morning. At about 8 pm, the girl manages to get her two case allotment. In an act of sheer kindness, they offer to sell the second case to myself and the two other dudes who had been in line with us. We happily accepted but when I left the line to hit the ATM, it is of course, out of order. Screwed. When I tell the dude what happened, he shrugs, hands me two four packs of pt5 and says, "square up with me at the Kuhnhenn Party. If not--oh well, I can use the karma." Seriously one of the coolest things anyone has done for me in a long time. So to Andrew and Adrian, seriously..thank you guys so much. Yeah, I invested 10 hours of driving and line-standing for 8 beers, but I feel really damn good about it. Cheers, nice to know there are still good people out there!!
  36. travMI13

travMI13 Jan 7, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think I was behind that when it happened, and yes, that was a totally shitty situation that happened to that woman. Nobody deserves that. But I'm also not willing to blow up the staff for that. You know a lot of those people were volunteers, right?

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Was it the worst beer event in the world? Not even close. And if you think that, I'd say you need to attend a few more to make that judgment call.
  37. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Jul 30, 2011 Indiana

Absolutely amazing. Advocacy at its finest. This is what being a true BA is about. You got some beer and you had an awesome time. There are a lot of people who could learn from both parties here! Glad you enjoyed yourself
  38. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Jul 21, 2008 Michigan

I couldn't make it but I'm glad to know that my friends that did had an awesome time, planned ahead, got their beers and celebrated beer advocacy at it's finest even in the face of adversity. Cheers to beers!
    steebo777 and northernbrews like this.
  39. rjacobs6

rjacobs6 Nov 7, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I just got back, had a fantastic time despite not getting everything I was hoping for. Reading through this thread, my first thought (Warning this will piss people off), Breakingbad and all the other haters out there, shut the f*ck up already. If you had a shitty time, stay home next year, sorry you don't have 3 cases of BBpT5th to trade away and a drunken ass throwing beer is not Dark Horse's fault.

I've been to many brewery release parties and I've never left one with more respect and good feelings toward brewery than this one. Reasons:
    1.)11:30 am, staff comes out to tell everyone have a fantastic time, drink all you want but be safe. If you need a ride, the staff will personally give you one.
    2.) The free delicious food that they were constantly rolling out. Smoked salmon, boar bacon, bison, pork, lamb, venison etc..., all fantastic and made good times in line great.
    3.) 40+ taps of incredible beer that IMO moved quickly (5-6 min). If you were too drunk to see that there were 3-4 lines by the porta potties with essentially no one in it, sorry.
    4.) The staff again...always made it evident that they wanted everyone to have a great time. Helpful when asked questions, no deuchebag attitudes like many at a famous Indiana brewery.

Dark Horse had no way of predicting that attendance would double from last year. If you were 300+ in line, waited for X hours only to find out you got shut out, that sucks. But with the token system, it should have been damn clear to you that was a likely possibility the minute you received your token. (432 cases / 2 case limit = Token 216). The crazy world of craft beer releases these days exists because of the crazies like us. While breweries are adapting, it is unfair to expect a small time operation like DH to do so overnight. We all need to get used to the scene we've created.

Side note: Bourbon Monster was insanely good.
  40. sullenbee

sullenbee Jan 15, 2010 Michigan

How horrible. You guys got to stand around and drink amazing limited beer and socialize at a great brewery. I got to spend my day wishing I was there.

If you don't like to stand in line, don't go to beer releases! Save your effort and whining, and trade instead if you don't want to put in the time! Then everyone wins. But to say someone did a shitty job is mean and disrespectful to all the of people who put in hours of hard work for you to have a good time. I'm doubtful anyone of the staff intended for anyone to get upset today, but shit happens. Tiny brewery + demand/hype = lines. Face it, craft beer is having some major growing pains with its rising popularity. The little guys just can't keep up with the demand. Give em a break.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!