Official Dark Horse 4 Elf Party Thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Clearly, Dark Horse should have been checking ID's so that only those people who have been supporting them -- locally for years -- could have gotten access to their beers.That's how you take care of the folks who have been supportive since Dark Horse has been little.
  2. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

3. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

Surprised this is still going on.....we're the taps not flowin enough for you guys not to care about this petty stuff?
  4. Etan

Etan Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

5. Kayn169

Kayn169 Jan 9, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Huh? First off, way to edit my comment, to make it look like I was saying something I wasnt. I didnt say I didn't go to have fun, nor did I say I only came for bottles. I had a great time drinking with people. I didn't even stay in the line, just kept coming back to check on progress. I do feel bad for the people that did stay in line, and got a beer for a couple of them. I was just saying, I got the 1 case I had planned to buy. I didn't want any other bottles. No pitchforks here, as I said before, I very much appriciate the event they put on, but there are some things that can be worked on.
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  6. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed myself but that's only because I didn't wait in the bottle line. My spot in line hit the bottle table about 5 hrs after the sale started...

It would be a smoother event if they decouple the bottle sales from the party. And start the bottle sale earlier in the day (why should anyone have to wait in line twice just to buy beer?). And pre-package a ton of cases as this is the format most people were buying.

Positive notes: Allowing people to line up inside the gate for the morning line so we could all bottle share. Best part of the day. The food was great too, second best part of the day.
  7. craigo19

craigo19 Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

Had a great time even though I did get shut out on my BBBL Plead the 5th. I still met some great beer advocates and drank some great beers before they ran out. I will be back next year and many times before next years party. Keep up the great work Dark Horse!
    raymo55 likes this.
  8. wifehatesthebike

wifehatesthebike Oct 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

For me, this sums up the day nicely. I had a good time and I think the DH crew did their best, but they can't even fit 400 people in the space available. Let alone feed, serve beer, sell beer, etc to all those people. I went to the taps first thing and immediately knew having only 2 portajohns would likely not work out well in the end.
  9. denimdemon

denimdemon Mar 8, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

No, not the staff's fault it happened in the least, though they could have done more to placate a distressed customer (who incidentally has spent a lot of money on their products and at the pub and talking them up to friends and family, though that's actually irrelevant to this post) and try to make a situation better than just shrug. All it would have taken was an "I'm truly sorry that happened to you," but no one even gave her that much. Maybe shellshock had set in or tiredness or just being sick of dealing with a bunch of assholes all day. To me though the party and incidents experienced were just more indication of where the BA-driven world of "rare beer" is going and has gone. Serious business, basically. For me personally, at least, I think I'm going to step away from non-ticketed events for a while, just because this kinda makes me hate a hobby I've enjoyed for several years and also makes me feel like a lot of people dominating the hobby are assholes and morons (which could arguably be true) instead of decent humans (which, when you talk to people in line for a couple hours also often winds up being true). Some situations bring out people's best and some the worst and for me, this was a mix of both. It's a covetous beverage driving us, to be sure, but's just beer. With that, I've probably said enough on the subject of the party.
  10. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

Here's your entire quote. I was just highlighting the part I was referring to, I didn't edit your comment:

I guess "Ok, I got my case, and that is the only thing I wanted, so no "sour grapes" here"

Means something else to you????????? The way you said it implies that the bottles were the main reason for you going, which is just silly. Either way, I'll assume you were just a little drunk from the great tap-list, and didn't word it very well.
  11. dblab33

dblab33 Dec 9, 2011 Michigan

This whole thing is just ridiculous at this point. Not everyone will go home happy every time.
    JohnB87 and woodchopper like this.
  12. jbck109

jbck109 May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Maybe he was revering to the ticket lines, which were quite long at times.
  13. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Locking this one down due to too many reports, and my getting tired of cleaning it up. Some BAs will find themselves in posting timeouts as a result.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!