Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Official Upland Sour + Wild + Funk Fest Thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by aasher, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denimdemon

denimdemon Mar 8, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I apologize if it felt like my response singled you/your brewery out, Cory. Perennial wasn't the only brewery to run out of beer before the fest was over. It was just the most glaring example (hence why I went with it) - partially because the White Grape Wild was very, very good, partially because Perennial was a brewery many of us were most looking forward to trying given the high level of praise for your beers and our lack of access to them (excepting trading or traveling, obviously), and partially because you were done so suddenly (...and early). I was happy to get the chance to sample your beers, wish you all the best in the future, and hope to see you at Fests like this one (or more specifically, at next year's Sour, Wild & Funk Fest) again. Cheers and best of luck in the continued growth and success of your brewery.

coryking and Boilerfood like this.
  2. makdeco

makdeco Jan 31, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

no garage door code?

3. DROOO

DROOO May 5, 2009 Illinois

my friends and i enjoyed ourselves. kudos to upland, kahn's and whoever else was responsible for organizing the festival. i'll echo those commenting on the number of attendees. it's always nice not having to push people simply to get around. almost impossible to experience that these days at any beer event. at least in chicago.
    rivertown was a pleasant discovery. really enjoyed both his and destihl's unblended lambics, and especially enjoyed rivertown's pomegranate lambic. the prairie gold was outstanding, as was the peach felix jones. someone commented not liking any of flat 12s offerings, so i'll counter that by saying i enjoyed almost all of them, especially the jail bait brown. other's i enjoyed included bier's farmgal, barley island's BA who's ear, crown's sour warlock, mad anthony's raspberry wheat and ipa, and others i'm not remembering right now i'm sure. sun king's pink taco appeared to have a diacetyl issue, but after my first sip or two, i was able to get past it, and quite enjoyed the beer. stupid sexy flanders is indeed an awesome name. there were some forgettable beers, but i don't feel the need to point them out.

my only criticism i will voice is simply a request for the future. i love upland's lambics. their lambic program is highly regarded by many and for good reason. i'd take their fresh blueberry lambic over blåbær any day, and their persimmon remains as one of my all time favorite beers i've drank. however, while sampling your lambics from a bottle, please consider keeping them tilted some how. my first pour of the day was clearly the last pour from a sour reserve bottle.

otherwise, great job to everyone involved.

cheers.

4. myersk27

myersk27 Oct 21, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

funny, all i could think about was just going into your house and raiding your cellar.....but the car thingy is a good idea too.

claaark13 likes this.
  5. zrab11

zrab11 Dec 25, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Allright,

I really don't know why I am still talking about this except I don't want to be know as a Liar on this forum. And I actually hope we can enjoy a beer sometime together and laugh about this someday. As this isn't a dick measuring contest in anyway. The facts are the facts.

I said No offence earlier as I didn't want to call your father in-law a LIAR.. I just wanted to say I think he is mixed up.

As I said before I went into MUNCIE WHEELING LIQUORS on Friday at 2pm and the last love child was bought earlier that day and they had NONE LEFT!!..( I had bought 4 the day before and left 1 on the shelf).
    Well I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said well maybe he got another shipment in after i left (His shipments are on Monday though) and maybe the owner saw that they messed up the prices of love child and Chocolate ale and decided to raise it to the 20$..

So i decided to wait till today(Monday 5-13) and go in and see the owner and find out for myself which of our stories is right.

SO HERE ARE THE FACTS BUDDY

AS of 5:23 Friday the MUNCIE WHEELING Liquors had NO LOVE child.
    And As today at 4pm THEY STILL HAVE NO LOVE CHILD

I am NOT confused about my geography. I have lived in muncie my whole life(except 2 years of college) and live 5 minutes from BOTH Friendly package on Jackson and Muncie Liquors on wheeling. I frequent both 2-3 times a week. Actually frequent Muncie Wheeling Liquors and just call Friendly to price match.

THAT is as Long as your talking about the MUNCIE LIQUORS ON WHEELING that is right Next to Amazing Joes. Right across the street from the White River. The one Looking Right into Muncie Centrals back yard. The one Bubba used to work at!

The only reason I am wanting to set you straight as I want to keep Muncie Liquors wheeling name great as they have always had great prices and are 95% of the time the lowest in town.
    I have gained a great relationship with the owner Chris over the last 3 years and frequent this store on a weekly basis. I also frequently grab stuff from this muncie store for my Indy friends as I don't have the pressure here in muncie that you guys in INdy have down there. So I luckily can grab 2 or 3 bottles of something indy people have to drive or call 2 or 3 stores just to get 1 of.

So there are the FACTS.. You can still go to FRIENDLY PACKAGE on JACKSON and get love child for 20$ a bottle.. If you don't believe me . feel free to call the Muncie Liquors on wheeling at 765-282-5550 anytime between 2-5 and ask for Chris and he will let you know the same story.

No Offense but don't try to tell me what goes on at Muncie liquor stores when I live here and You do not!

6. zrab11

Beer Trader

I call the sour cellar.. U can have the other one!

myersk27 likes this.
  7. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Apr 27, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

While you may not have wanted to call his father-in-law a liar, that is exactly what you did. You should also realize that telling someone their story is completely false is going to upset them. I also don't think anyone cares what the correct story is nor would they think bad of the liquor store. Prudence can be your friend.

zrab11 likes this.
  8. denimdemon

denimdemon Mar 8, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Muncie beer is serious business. 5/13, never forget.

9. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Appreciate what you brought, got shut out on the white grape though. I think you could have brought the saisons and belgians you have and easily passed the "grade" at this fest, some breweries didn't even bring saisons but ipas and fruit beers even. It isn't ALL about sours.

10. zrab11

Beer Trader

Did anyone in the VIP room just love hearing that one guy basically running the presentation for Caleb?

11. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

They wouldn't even have touched your fridge filled with all dat dere fancy schmancy beer. Pool table would have been gone, but Blabaer would have been spared. Hahaha, I can imagine the comments about the cowboy on the label.

MordorMongo likes this.
  12. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

I didnt want to be the first to mention this, but I found it to be incredibly rude. I know that many were turned off by it, particularly when he felt the need to not only interrupt Caleb's presentation, but also argue with him. At one point I was so annoyed I thought about saying something, but I held my tongue for fear that I might be yelling at someone who actually knows what they are talking about. After I learned out who he was, I kind of wish I would have said something.

StargazerC likes this.
  13. Boilerfood

He teaches a beer class at IUPUI and is part of one of the bigger homebrew clubs in Indy.

ETA: I was also told that he is a highly ranked beer judge.

14. zrab11

Beer Trader

Wow.. Well that kinda makes sense.. But I still didn't think he should be interrupting Caleb so much.. Even if he is knowledgeable...

15. Boilerfood

That was my thinking as well. I am sure that he had insights that would have been interesting in the proper context, but I think that is what the Q&A was for, not interjected into the middle of the presentation. Especially since it was specifically about Upland's Sour Program, with a brief background on the style, not the other way around.

16. zrab11

Beer Trader

I agree 100% with this.. Glad me and Scott weren't the only 2 who thought this guy didn't have much tact

17. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Apr 29, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I've heard of Muncie.

18. ridglens

ridglens Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

jesus, after reading this thread and listening to you ruffians, i will not be missing this next year!

as a way-to-early question, does anyone host a night-before tasting or anything?

bummed i missed out... drinking a $10.59 love child now (not from muncie)

zrab11 and myersk27 like this.
  19. ajzy

ajzy Jun 15, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

tclang and I had a tasting the night before AND the night of in our hotel room. The giant, dong shaped imperial stout stain on the floor will attest to that

20. ridglens

ridglens Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

you had me at giant dong....

21. ajzy

ajzy Jun 15, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

the resemblance was uncanny, and, to my knowledge, my credit card has not been charged for carpet cleaning. The bottle of de molen kopi loewak deserved a much better fate however

22. Boilerfood

A few people discussed this far too late to actually do anything. But, yes, assuming I am available.

23. HeyBoff

HeyBoff Oct 2, 2011 Illinois

Glad to see that this was better than last year's Sour Fest. I'll definitely be going next year if it keeps getting better. You guys need to talk Bells into bringing something other than Oarsman!

24. StargazerC

StargazerC Apr 15, 2008 Indiana

Sources say to expect Dantalion Batch #2 to release sometime this year.

HopsMatt likes this.
  25. StargazerC

You speak as if the angels have blessed your tongue, sir.

And yes, the beer selections had less to do with Caleb and more to do with myself and Andrea, our Marketing Manager. We wanted to include styles, like semi-Berliner Weiss', Farmhouses and Saisons because they are similar. We also wanted to offer something more than just super funky and wild so your palates and colons wouldn't be assploded. We were hoping for something else from Bell's, but wanted them present and a part.

MordorMongo and aasher like this.
  26. Boilerfood

Assplosion is a term covered in the Cicerone Exam right Cari?

jtosh, aasher and StargazerC like this.
  27. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Apr 27, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I think it's clear, after a second showing of Oarsman, Bell's doesn't care about being present or a part of the fest anymore. Anyway, I applaud the brewery additions and the fact that there was some Cantillon popped. The way it's going, I can see this being the premier Sour fest of the US in a few years. Berliners and Saisons are always welcome by me.

aasher likes this.
  28. StargazerC

Yep. KNOW IT!

29. StargazerC

I think now that the festival is established and flourishing (100% increase in breweries, 100% of beer, and 50% increase in attendance), that breweries in general will start taking note and hopefully holding back or making beer to send to the event. But that's just my hopes, and I'm a selfish person.

Glad you had a good time!

CC

MordorMongo, aasher and denimdemon like this.
  30. StargazerC

Alright, sorry everyone that it's taken me a few days to come back on and survey the aftermath of Sour Fest. Usually when I come on here, I fully expect brutally honest responses to our event.

I have to say I'm completely floored. Thank you so much for enjoying our event, and for saying such kind things about it. We worked very hard to get this to be a great event, and I think we pulled it off. So from myself, Andrea, Tim, Caleb and Seth (i.e. the folks put Sour Fest on), thank you for making this event so spectacular.

Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 10 for the 3rd Annual Midwest Sour Wild Funk Fest.

Cheers,
    Cari

31. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Dec 1, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

...marked!

I only see this event getting bigger. Its already amazing as it is and I can only imagine how much more amazing it will become. Can I buy my next 10 years VIP tickets in advance? ;)

Thanks Upland!!!!

32. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

When the guy from Rivertown was explaining to me that their Lambic takes a year for them to make, I didn't interrupt him and tell him that A) it isn't a Lambic by the traditional definition and B) I'm very aware that Lambic and Gueuze don't happen overnight.

Teacher, beer judge, homebrewer or whatever, that isn't cool. Maybe he'll keep that to himself next time now that he knows the other paying attendees actually want to hear from Caleb.

Dude, you have to tell me that story.....

33. tclang

tclang Nov 11, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Food for thought: be wary of making a reference to a beer on untappd+twitter from a certain brewer as being subpar. He takes great offense when your palate (and a good portion of untappd) does not jive with his take on his beer.

34. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Are you saying that we should never reference or link to any site that reviews or rates a beer lower than how the brewer himself rates it?

35. tclang

tclang Nov 11, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Not at all, just be wary of trolling brewers. First experience for me, but all I could think of was he needs to grow the hell up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe