Official Weldwerks Thread

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by brettc22, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,637) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Love me some black forest cake. I'm interested in giving that one a go.

tylerstubs likes this.
  2. ASK

ASK Initiate (59) Mar 17, 2012 Colorado

Why no cans at Molly's anymore?

3. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Aspirant (235) Sep 25, 2016 Nebraska
    Trader

I cracked open by first bottle of medianoche 17 tonight, holy hell! That beer is phenomenal, it is a top 3 beer for me. Keep up the good work WW, can’t wait to see y’all in June for the invitational! Hopefully before then, I love Greeley!

4. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,907) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

How many of those Medianoches deep are you?

5. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (458) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

Well - made it to Greeley again yesterday and was able to taste through some of the new goodies. Sooo bummed I couldn’t snag Mosaic Basic Bits and Mango Milkshake to go. Really, really good and WW IPAs are my extra of choice to spread the WW love. Still snagged some Juicy Bits and Fruity Bits Pina for personal consumption and extras.

Noticed the third anniversary party on FB and it coincides with a work conference in Phoenix for me. Stab me in the heart. I’ll be ISO those special releases come time and wish I had the chance to hit those five (+) Medianoches on tap. If anyone plans to attend and wants to swap let me know.

When does the WeldWerks membership (with quarterly pick-up or proxy) begin? With Neil and the crew’s emphasis on the greater good for Greeley, rightfully so, I’d bet that proxy would never be allowed.

wyoming likes this.
  6. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (518) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

With how quickly they sell out, I really don't think this is something they'll be doing. Can you imagine trying to store all that beer for people to pickup later?

7. rmpic82

Society Trader

Prairie will hold member beers for a full year - distro beers, 16 member beers, single barrel project and brewery-only releases - but yeah, not expecting anything from WW. Their model seems to be working out just fine.

8. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,637) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Crooked Stave used to hold beers for long periods of time and it became a total pain in their ass. Casey only holds beers for 3 months now due to similar logistical issues. If you give people a deadline to pick something up, like 75% of people will wait until the last minute. Long pick-up windows probably aren't feasible for most breweries. I think CC's Catador Club is a full year, but it's not like they're holding massive volume for most people either.

To take things back to Weldwerks - I totally dig the Black Forest Cake stout. It tastes like what it wants to be. It's not going to win anyone over who doesn't like candy beer, but it's good for what it is.

9. rmpic82

Society Trader

How did Tiramisu turn out? Anyone know?

tylerstubs likes this.
  10. taplebr

taplebr Aspirant (255) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

Has anyone heard any recent news on timing for replacement Reserve bottles? Just want to make sure I haven’t missed anything ... I received the “approval” email re: my claim and at one point heard Mexican Medianoche was looking like February. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

11. rmpic82

Society Trader

Same boat as you - last I heard the claim numbers were higher than expected which pushed the timetable back. Haven’t heard anything further.

12. stevefenster

stevefenster Initiate (108) Mar 29, 2016 Colorado
    Trader

The email from Neil said *hopefully* March, so probably not surprising we haven't heard anything yet.

"we are tentatively hoping to have Mexican Medianoche packaged and ready for pick up sometime in March."

13. taplebr

taplebr Aspirant (255) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

Thanks guys! Similar for me but I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss an email.

14. nograz

nograz Disciple (388) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Anyone know if Weldwerks is looking to expand their distribution foot print or is it just a cruel joke that they just unloaded a bunch of Coffee Coconut Stout on MN?

Stores here aren't sure why we got it and now everyone is worked up in a frenzy. It isn't April 1st yet, is it?

15. stevefenster

Trader

I was surprised to see that too, but without knowing the logistical/legal details of a one-off distro to MN, I'm guessing this may have been a one-time thing where they just had a ton of it sitting around to unload -- unlike most of the beers that leave the brewery, this one has sat on shelves for a while in CO.

tylerstubs and ManBearPat like this.
  16. Steve_0

Steve_0 Initiate (195) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Is there a big festival coming up that they are attending? That was my only other thought

tylerstubs likes this.
  17. nograz

Trader

Someone mentioned that it could be due to a festival that they have been at in the past, but that is in April. That seems a bit far away to drop off some goodies. My other thought was a collaboration, but I have not heard of anything.

However it appears that it went through a distributor and not self distributed, so less likely that they were in the area kind of one-off drop. I guess it is possible that the distributor saw an oppurtunity and negoiated a deal with Weldwerks to help move some older stock.

I have not seen much information or details around this, so it is all speculation at this point. My favorite rumor going around right now is that they are doing this to a few states to see who moves it the fastest and then will distribute to the winning state.

18. Dan_K

Trader

Net Cutter NEIPA with citra, mosaic, Columbus was announced for this coming weekend.
    They also announced the return of Steambarrel (3.0), and a 3rd will be announced later.

Steambarrel is a very good West-coast style IPA that is slightly juicy, piney, etc. Should be a decent beer for those that don't enjoy the hazy NE-style beers they often make.

JakeT469 and wyoming like this.
  19. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (277) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

3rd beer being released is Chocolate Coconut Achromatic. $15/bottle, limit 3/person.

Dan_K likes this.
  20. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (97) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Wow! I had not heard that news yet myself. But it's actually not a bad idea if we had the volume to distribute out of state regularly (which we do not). Although now that I'm giving it more thought, I would rather go with an Amazon approach and see what kind of extravagant pitches each city can come up with. How could we say no to distributing to a city that would rename itself "WeldWerks"? :wink:

Anyway, to answer your question, this was a very limited drop we did with Clear River, which is serving as our temporary distributor for the Minnesota Craft Beer Festival next month. Long story short, we are rotating Coffee Coconut Stout out of production to make space for the new beers we are releasing weekly, brewed and packaged here in Greeley. As a result of that transition, we have excess inventory of CCS that we will be unable to sell through before it reaches the end of its shelf life at the end of next month. So the folks at Clear River were kind enough to help us distribute some of that excess inventory to MN. We will likely send one more limited drop to coincide with the week of the festival, but that will likely be draft only (and not CCS).

As much as we would love to distribute to other great markets like Minneapolis more frequently, the truth is at the moment we do not have any plans to establish regular out-of-state distro. We love pouring at different festivals across the country and sharing our beers with new markets, and we are trying to coincide limited distribution drops with those events. But that's the extent of our out-of-state distro plans for now. Unless of course Minneapolis is willing to change its name to WeldWerks :wink:

Hope that helps answer your question.

#540 Tarheel4985, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  21. rmpic82

Society Trader

I'll volunteer Kansas City - or any city in metro KS or MO - now affectionately known as WeldWerks.

**EDIT** There can be no waving of the carolina blue flag (UNC) for this agreement to close - call it a contractual obligation amongst blue bloods...

#541 rmpic82, Mar 2, 2018
    JPick likes this.
  22. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (97) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

You didn't miss an email yet. The one you are referencing is the last one we sent. We're still waiting on the barrels to mature, but we are still hoping to have Mexican Medianoche packaged by March or April. But we also aren't going to rush to package it as we want to ensure we provide a world-class beer as a replacement. In the past two months the Woodford Rye barrels we are planning to use for the blend have gone from amazing to unreal (good), so we are definitely getting close. Thanks to everyone for their patience!

#542 Tarheel4985, Mar 2, 2018
    JPick, m34josh, ssteigerwald and 3 others like this.
  23. rmpic82

Society Trader

Oh heeeell yes. Woodford Rye...

JPick likes this.
  24. nograz

Trader

Thank you for taking the time to respond. While disapointed that it does not mean regular distribution, we do appreciate anything that we get.

While you are in town for the festival here in Minneapolis, if you don't have any plans to do a collab, you should brew a collaboration with Lupulin (they were out at GBAF this past year).

25. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (192) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

So after homebrewing the Juicy Bits clone recipe posted here in the BA Homebrewing forum a couple times over the last year, I'm finally making good on my pilgrimage to the brewery to taste the real thing. I'm flying in from Chicago this Thursday, my pops is driving in from KC and we're hanging out in Greeley for the night before road-tripping down to PHX for our annual Spring Training trip the next day.

I know it'll be a Thursday, and I don't know much about Greeley outside this thread, but if @Tarheel4985 or any other Mountain BAs are around I'd love to say hey.

Much respect BA Mountain forum for all the information here, wish I had more time to explore your scene.

26. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Aspirant (259) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

The food truck at Weldwerks on Thursday's is outstanding.

tylerstubs and KCUnited like this.
  27. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (361) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Hi I’m going to Colorado in June from a Monday to Thursday to enjoy a Rockies game, go to Red Rocks, and of course hit Weldworks. I take it that cans come out on Friday based on their IG. Does that mean I should stop in the taproom at the beginning of my trip if taking home hoppy beers is of interest? Or do they crowler off beers once cans are gone? Would appreciate any tips on visiting the taproom/Greeley

28. R3ason

R3ason Aspirant (249) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Ugh! Guess I need to stock up :grinning:

29. stevefenster

Trader

Releases are more frequent these days, but don't happen every Friday. If you're primarily looking for hops, cans tend to last at least a day or two at the taproom, unless they are coupled with a big achromatic release. Denver has started seeing increasing drops of cans from the previous weekend, although stores tend to sell out fairly quickly... Hope that helps...

Nbrock24 likes this.
  30. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (361) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Thank you and it does help. Would you say there’s enough to do in Greeley beerwise to make an overnight of it or would my time be better spent back in Denver?

31. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (277) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Absolutely do not waste an entire day in Greeley and stay overnight. Hit up WeldWerks and maybe Wiley Roots depending on what they have going on at the time and head back to Denver. Also, the last handful of Friday releases have lasted through the weekend, so getting there on a Monday at open should land you some pretty good stuff depending on what’s released the Friday before you get into town.

jaysker95 and tylerstubs like this.
  32. Dan_K

Trader

Psh, here's my contrarian opinion that you should stay in Greeley. Hit up Wiley roots, and then grab some fantastic Mexican food at Taqueria Los Comales. After dinner hit up Weldwerks and walk back to a hotel room. They have so many excellent beers on tap, and that way you can try them all. We had a couple Wiley Roots sours last night, Galaxy DH Funk Yo Couch and Edgar Motta. Both were excellent even still. Greeley is a little sleepy after dark, but after 6 pints at WW you'll be too.

#552 Dan_K, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  33. Justins123

Justins123 Initiate (20) Feb 7, 2016 Colorado

I would definitely hit Wiley Roots. Criminally underrated.

Another good option is to make your way to Fort Collins and spend the night there. Much more going on there as compared to Greeley. Plus there are obviously a number of breweries worth checking out in Fort Collins.

denver10, wyoming, Nbrock24 and 2 others like this.
  34. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

Anyone got any ideas what to expect at the anny. Going to be in Denver that week for business so why not stay an extra day and hit it up Friday morning before heading to possibly Fort Collins.

35. Namaste108

Namaste108 Initiate (175) Sep 14, 2010 Michigan

Lived in Greeley for 6 months and had the pleasure of Weldwerks being so close. Anyways, back in CO and living in the Grand Junction area. Does Weldwerks make it this far in distro?

36. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (153) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Whoever woulda thought Ft. Collins would be the stop ON THE WAY BACK from Greeley instead of the opposite.

37. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (210) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Cherry gose is really good.

Dan_K likes this.
  38. Dan_K

Trader

Fort Collins needs to step up it's game man! Can't rest on their laurels. :slight_smile:

ManBearPat and tylerstubs like this.
  39. bentnorton

bentnorton Initiate (102) Apr 21, 2015 Colorado
    Trader

Any word on bottle/can releases for the anniversary party? I didn’t see any details on Facebook.

40. beeeeeeeeeeeer

beeeeeeeeeeeer Initiate (56) Jul 3, 2010 Colorado

I believe Patrick's Irish Pub is hosting a tap takeover with some of the attending breweries the day before the Invitational (Friday). Patrick's is awesome.

tylerstubs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.