OG Rare and Nilla

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by not2quick, Jul 10, 2018.

1. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (345) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I have a chance to trade for them and was curious if anyone has had them recently? Gonna give up some whales. Obviously they are most likely past their prime, but i want to make sure they're "drinkable". Tickers gotta tick

Justin

2. JacksDad12109

JacksDad12109 Initiate (57) May 15, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If cellared properly, they are probably “drinkable.” I wouldn’t pull the trigger on a trade like that unless I knew the history of the bottles. For example, if the person was the only owner and stored them properly, I would say go for it.

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (432) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I recently acquired an OG rare. I received it from someone that told me he stored it in his fridge at 43 since he purchased it. He had multiple Rare and multiple vanilla, along with other BC variants, so i do believe him completely.

He told me that between the two, Nilla is fading a little more (expected due to being an additive I guess). He also commented on having tried some not stored properly, and gen could definitely tell a difference between properly and non properly cellared.

Also, people say all the time that 2010 is still drinking great. FWIW, and those are probably traded far more than these whales.

4. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Zealot (599) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

An OG Rare I had a few months back had more marshmallow than any other beer I've had. My expectations were super low due to the age of the bottle, but really wanted to tick it.

Rarely (ha!) do whales live up to the hype, but that bottle sure did. With the beer being damn near 10 years old, I'm sure there will be variation though.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  5. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (448) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

So when are you inviting me over and introducing me to your friend!?!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  6. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (432) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Depends. What can you tell me about the 2015 infection? :wink:

7. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,323) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Exactly this!