Oh where art thou Ballast Point?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pro100, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

Haven't had a spark since Grapefruit Sculpin dropped on the masses years ago. They were headed for gawd's territory as far as breweries go. Did the haze over-take their shine? Anybody still drinking their product or waiting for a new release from them?

gardenstatepkwy and Elfastball7 like this.
  2. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

They are everywhere here in Kansas but I lost interest long ago. Too many other breweries coming in. I do miss their chili Thai wahoo, one of my favorite beers ever. Haven’t seen that, only all the others I don’t want

beergoot and Harrison8 like this.
  3. Druid_51

Druid_51 Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2013 Kentucky

I like BP Sculpin but rarely buy it due to the high price. It's just not $5.00 better per 6pk than fresher local brews.

4. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (258) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Had the Pumpkin Down not too long ago and enjoyed it. Saw the Sour Wench recently and am interested in picking that up. I'm not really interested in their IPA stuff.

5. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (351) Apr 29, 2012 California

Uhh, probably collecting dust on the shelves? I mean $12-14 is a bit steep for a 6 pack. They have always seemed like they have priced themselves to a certain market. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't know anyone that buys their stuff on even a somewhat regular basis. The last time I bought a BP beer was the spring of 2015 (and it was a single...because I was curious).

Around here, one can get fresh Lagunitas Sucks for $14 per 12 pack or the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop 12 pack for $16.

It really all boils down to economics: selling less at a higher cost or more at a lower cost.

To me, it has never justified the price. YMMV.

6. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Devotee (460) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

[QUOTE="Around here, one can get fresh Lagunitas Sucks for $14 per 12 pack or the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop 12 pack for $16."[/QUOTE]

Damn. Lagunitas Sucks twelve packs for $14? I want to live where you do.

7. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I'm seriously considering buying Fathom IPA soon, but, I rarely ever buy Ballast Point anymore. $15 a six pack here is just too pricey to justify most of the time.

flaskman and algebeeric_topology like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,095) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Sounds like they've slipped a bit since selling out. We just got BP in distribution here in the Spring, and I had really been looking forward to some of the stouts and porters I saw in their lineup. Perhaps partly due to the season but we've mostly just seen IPAs. I've mostly been disappointed with what I have tried, but found Indra Kunindra out-of-state - does smell wonderful, though taste isn't as wonderful.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,082) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It does?
    According to industry estimates, BP is in the Top Ten of small/craft* brewers, and brewed between 375k-430k in '16, up from the 277k bbl in 2015, the year of the Constellation buyout.

* (Obviously, not using Brewers Association definition)

10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Still see them on shelf. In supermarket too, and our local markets are notorious for horrible selection. Guess they are doing alright?

I have gone from trading for Sculpin back in the day, and buying plenty when they got distro here, to not being able to remember when I had a BP beer in the house.

Not coincidentally my beer consumption has gone from est./approx.10% local beer to more than 50% (don't strictly keep track but likely much more than 50%) local beer.

11. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,229) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

$15.99 a sixer in my area.. I love Sculpin and Grapefruit Sculpin but:

1) Price point
    2) Hard to find fresh due to #1

They sit here... And I like the beer but hell, I can almost but 2 sixers for that kind of coin

12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,095) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Here comes Jess, cluttering a purely speculative thread with fact :wink:

What I meant was that there have been several threads regarding BP slipping. Even with good numbers, there seems to be folks that believe they have slipped from what they used to be. Time will tell whether they are resting on their laurels - we'll see if they can maintain those numbers.

13. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,159) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

If I could get fresh (under a month) Sculpin here, would drink it, but never can get it fresh.

14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

AZ is loaded down with it, almost at every store. Like everyone else the price keeps me away when I can score other stuff cheaper. Plus the whole age thing, a lot is sitting so who knows how long that it has been there. Sadly I pass on it now.

matcris and Eduk8traz like this.
  15. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,960) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

All the local supermarkets and gas stations carry their brews and it seems like they must move consistently. I have not purchased, but I see them in friends and families fridges often (non BA-types).
    Sculpin is also on tap and provides a decent choice when nothing else seems appealing.

16. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,081) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Like Rogue a beer generation before, Ballast Point sought the super premium retail price point as a strategy. I've sold both and pricing did affect sales, particularly as equal and better beers became increasingly available. The continuing advent of more, better, and cheaper local beers has only further eroded sales on brands like Rogue, Green Flash, and Ballast Point, at least at the places I know and shop.

17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

When I was on vacation a while back it was the one beer available vs. the light beer guys, so I got some and it was fresh and tasty. I still enjoy it if its fresh.

jakecattleco and jrnyc like this.
  18. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (751) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

I'll certainly agree with the sentiment that BP's IPAs are priced too high, but I think Victory at Sea is a steal at the prices I've seen it lately. Got a sixer a couple days ago for $12.99. That's a great price for a fantastic 10% ABV coffee and vanilla imperial porter.

19. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I lost interest as well due to other breweries that tastes better or just as good for a lower price and when I've wanted to have any of their IPAs, they sit on the shelves around my area.

VABA likes this.
  20. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (819) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not a brewery I seek out.

That being said I did pick up fathom IPA and bigeye for $28 a case, pretty fresh too

Fathom is pretty average at best, bigeye is good. If these were full price($40 a case plus) I would not even look at them.

Enjoy

21. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,934) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'll buy Grapefruit Sculpin if I see it fresh. And I like a few others too, but the price keeps it being a regular but for me.

22. infuturity

infuturity Initiate (67) Apr 26, 2015 Massachusetts

I started working recently at a local, craft-driven liquor store, and in almost 3 months, I can count the # of BP products I've sold on one hand. $14 for a 6-pack of average IPA (in my opinion) and BS flavored takes on everything = major shelf turd around here.

ColdOneKev likes this.
  23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Any time a brewery is sold or otherwise goes under new management there will be threads about that brewery “slipping.”

redeemer and bbtkd like this.
  24. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,408) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Only beer I consider buying from them is Victory At Sea and Calico Amber ( or whatever they call it nowadays). Whoever made the Rogue comparison is spot on.

25. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio

I had a chance to try the BP unfiltered sculpin and that was a pretty damn good beer, and it flew off the shelves even at a $12.99 ring, but most people I talk to at work aren't gonna pay the extra $$$ for BP. We usually break the 6-packs open and make them singles and the singles sell okay at that point.

26. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (106) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

VaS is still one of the best readily available big beers around. Buy it fresh every year and always try to get the peanut butter variant.

Agree on the IPA's. Plenty of lower priced and/or fresher options out there. As mentioned above my IPA consumption is also trending very local with the high quality/freshness ratio....

jakecattleco, jrnyc and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  27. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,443) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's a miracle that I never had a Sculpin for the first time until a few years ago because it was consistently the most expensive 6 pack on the shelves around here. That's probably less the case these days, but the last time I purchased it for the home was a couple years ago when there was an all out blitz of the base and variants and I want to try them all together.

The coconut victory at sea has been eyeing me every time I'm in the store, and I might buy the barrel aged version if I can find it and the price is reasonable.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  28. beersgud

beersgud Initiate (180) Jan 31, 2014 Kansas
    Trader

Sculpin is a really, really good beer when it’s fresh. At 15 dollars/6 though, it tends to just sit and get old. By the time it gets marked down to 10-12 dollars/6 at my local stores (the price it should probably start out at), it’s already at least 6 months old. Having said that, I am anxiously awaiting barrel-aged victory at sea, which should come out next month. I had it in on tap at the brewery 4 or 5 years ago and it was great.

29. readyski

readyski Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I have no qualms with BP, as long as it's fresh :angry:
    Seems like everything was fresh several months ago, but that big drop hasn't been replenished. So I look elsewhere.

30. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,573) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I think Fathom was originally an IPL. When they recently redid the artwork, I wonder if they rebranded it an IPA?

31. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,573) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'll pick up Grunion occasionally if it's fresh. Other than that, I only buy Victory at Sea (and its variants) from them these days.

32. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,075) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Purely anecdotal, but speaking with local retailers, they all say the same thing: "Ballast Point came in and sold fast, but when we reordered, we haven't been able to sell much since."

Ballast Point hit shelves here for the first time ever at the end of this past year, and moved quick. It was tough to get a 6 pack of Grapefruit Sculpin those first three months, and now it's tough to find a 6 pack that's less than 2 months old. That stagnation on local shelves, and ludicrous 6-pack pricing has lead me, and others, to buy other beers.

I do feel a little bad for them, as their local beer rep is a super great, kind, and nice guy, but I just can't justify leaving the store with a $16 6 pack with an regularity. I'll opt for the $10 or less packs, especially if I'm doing some fridge stocking.

TrojanRB likes this.
  33. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,173) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's been a while since I purchased any BP products, but do like Grunion, Bonito, Indra Kunindra, and Habanero and Unfiltered Sculpin.

Yet, like others point out, there are so many fine alternatives (many being local) that past old stalwarts like Stone and Boston Beer Company, et al, seem to fade into the distance...

34. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Last 2 times in a bottle store I never even noticed rogue.

3 years ago they seemed to dominate a large corner and specialty spots in the same store. Now it's mostly Vt, Me, NH and NY states. Some Colorado brews but rogue, I don't know if they even carry them anymore.

35. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Probably.

36. Antg8989

Antg8989 Champion (887) Jul 18, 2014 New Jersey

Seriously. While I recognize that the Sculpin Series is pretty solid, I can't justify spending $15 a six pack (that quite frankly, isn't really that special.) When Indra Kunindra was released, I had high hopes for BP. Personally I think Lagunitas and Stone have better, more intriguing options put on the shelves and at a better price. Just very surprised Ballast Point hasn't lowered their prices - I might be more inclined to purchase if they did.

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,663) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

JK, is there any way to determine how much of that growth (227vk to 400-ish k) is due to expanding distribution to new areas? Does anybody track sales within the context of established markets?

@Harrison8 posted: Purely anecdotal, but speaking with local retailers, they all say the same thing: "Ballast Point came in and sold fast, but when we reordered, we haven't been able to sell much since."

FWIW I have heard similar things from my local beer retailers as well. I am guessing that much of the growth between 2015 to 2016 was new sales in new markets. If these new markets follow the pattern of my area there will be declining sales post the initial drop of Ballast Point beers.

Cheers!

38. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I hate that they turned that beer into a completely different beer. Fathom IPL was really quite good. I haven't had this new IPA, but I won't be trying it because in my mind it displaced a beer I really enjoyed.

The only beers I very occasionally buy from them are Victory at Sea and Calm Before the Storm. The fruited stuff is trash aimed at the non-beer crowd in my opinion, and the standards are easily surpassed by cheaper local options.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  39. kool-aid

kool-aid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2017 Vermont

Does anyone have an idea why the price is so high? I just can't figure it out. Lagunitas has just as much distro around here and their stuff is always fresh and affordable...

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  40. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

The Fathom was good, I’ll still grab a pint of Grapefruit Sculpin when I see it, but the packs are over priced...I do love the Victory at Sea varieties

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.