OKC Prairie release shit show

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by kirk63129, Feb 24, 2018.

1. kirk63129

kirk63129 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Missouri

praire apparently cant handle a big realease. Patrons waiting 5 hrs and not getting an allotment. Massive line cutting, with some cutters getting two allotments.

No notice from brewery until 5 hrs in

Boldbrew likes this.
  2. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Defender (634) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

It's ridiculous to me that some releases are that cutthroat. Let the next guy enjoy just like you want to!

3. Grandy33

Grandy33 Initiate (30) Aug 15, 2017 Missouri
    Trader

What release was it?

4. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (205) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Beer karma is very real and will haunt them

AyatollahGold likes this.
  5. thebaucom

thebaucom Initiate (24) Aug 29, 2017 Missouri
    Trader

What time did you get in line? I heard the last allotments went to people who were in line around 5:30am or so. I drove in from MO Friday night but I decided not to sit in line and I just showed up to pick up my member preorder allotment and made some trades I had planned. I got up around 5 and read some line status updates and just decided to go back to bed.

I heard a lot of talk of line cutting. Were people just showing up late and getting in with friends or did people just push to front when they opened the doors?

If they got a second allotment I think they would have to be Prairie Dawg members who bought through the line and then picked up in the member line afterwards. That was what I was planning on doing, but without the line cutting. If that is the case then it is pretty shitty.

6. kirk63129

kirk63129 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Missouri

In line at 6:25am, count by multiple people had us btween 330 and 3:50. Some how line in front of us grew by 90.

How does it take 2.5 hrs to sell 383 six packs?

A marker and a roll of tickets could have solved the issue.

Instead they’ve lost customers

#6 kirk63129, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  7. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (521) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Glad I sat that one out from the sound of it. I like beer but not enough for a 7hr wait with t-storms. I'm still surprised how many people showed up between midnight and 5.

For perspective, I went to the batch 1 pp release in Sept, 16' and showed up at 8am and was 10th in line.

8. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (231) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

I got in line around 5 and got a 6 pack and two glasses. There was a lot more people this weekend than there was for the BA Christmas Bomb. Only thing I missed on was a crowler of an IPA. I had it on tap after getting my allotment. I wasn't impressed. So I was OK with missing out.

9. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Crusader (787) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

What were they releasing?

10. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (231) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

Pirate Paradise

11. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Crusader (787) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Sounds delicious.

It's a shame, though, that people would A. ever treat anyone the way manner described above. and B. it feels a little worse that someone would do it to other members of their community i.e. fellow beer nerds.

At the end of the day, it is JUST beer.

Penguin and AyatollahGold like this.
  12. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Zealot (573) May 11, 2012 Missouri

Stories like what happened at the Prairie release are one of the reasons I've grown less interested in beer, or at least acquiring super limited releases that is. In some ways, the fun is gone and it's just a competition for people

13. MLDucky

MLDucky Zealot (556) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Agreed. I was one of the ones that got shut out. Wife and I figured 2.5 hours before open early was enough and boy were we wrong. We waited the entire time hoping, as the only update on counts occurred around 11 (an hour after open) and an employee basically eyeballed it and said this looks to be around the cutoff. We waited anyway (made the drive from Austin, might as well) and it sold out well short of that "eyeballed" point. No hard feelings here, people were more prepared/committed/devoted than us and it's just beer, they will make it again. I will admit I definitely felt the sour grapes after hearing about people cutting in line.

I also felt bad for Prairie as well because it looked like a hobo camp in the parking lots. People would clean up their canopy, grab their chairs and supplies but much of the trash was just left on the ground.

14. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Champion (879) May 14, 2013 Texas

Seriously, all this for a stout?

zonker17, Techichi and donspublic like this.
  15. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (521) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I blame the neckbeardz

16. taplebr

taplebr Aspirant (231) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

The ones first in line arrived around 11 pm the night before (maybe even earlier). To be fair, they had a pretty sweet setup and the shares were nice... BAIGCCS made a quick visit, Bottle Logic, Prairie Dawg bottles and plenty of other quality bottles and cans were floating around. If it wasn't 39 degrees and raining (which was really only for a couple hours; not the entire time), the camp out and shares alone would make a (non-flight) trip worth it.

I arrived around a bit before 5 and was able to get bottles but it was terribly unorganized. The other challenge is if you were not in line before the doors opened, it was next to impossible to quickly find your exact spot (the back of the line collapsed/ consolidated immediately). There were quite a few line cutters for sure as a result (and others were just completely dishonest).

17. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (435) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

There are some gigantic douche bags involved in the craft beer scene unfortunately. I understand that different people have different ways they enjoy our little hobby. Waiting in large lines and dealing with self absorbed jackoffs is not my idea of fun. Especially for such an overrated brewery like Prairie.

18. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Champion (879) May 14, 2013 Texas

Amen

19. taplebr

taplebr Aspirant (231) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

I don’t disagree, but there were also quite a few really nice folks at the Prairie release just walking the line sharing beers. It’s all a matter of perspective and what you make of it in my opinion. I will say I enjoyed the releases at the Krebs location a bit more and it’s possible that releasing in OKC brings in folks who wouldn’t otherwise travel to Krebs.

And while Prairie is a bit overpriced (especially the $500 Prairie Dawg membership), they do put out quite a few stellar beers so overrated is stretching it for me.

maximum12, thebaucom and RedhawkPoke like this.
  20. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Defender (637) Feb 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

I got in line shortly before 7:00 and can also attest to the shit show. The line cutting was definitely rampant and there was numerous instances of drunken douche baggery. It seemed that a lot of the line cutting was people joining friends who were already in line.

The absolute disregard for cleanliness and other people property was also appalling. The amount of trash and empty bottles left behind hours after the release was atrocious.

The sense of absolute entitlement and inability of people to even clean up after themselves reminded me of why it’s been years since I’ve been to a non-ticketed release. As the demand for Prairie has grown I think it’s only a matter of time before they go to the same format.

Texasfan549, thebaucom and MLDucky like this.
  21. brock125

brock125 Initiate (156) Apr 21, 2011 Texas

I got in line at 3:30 and was at the end of the Barking Lot (Prairie side alley) by the dumpster. I'm guessing I was somewhere around 150-175. I didn't notice much line cutting in our area. The storm around 8 am caused some issues with people running for the big tents for some cover. I think that caused many people to get out of order but nothing too serious that I saw. I was surprised by the people that showed up at after 7 am and got in line. Did that many people not know about about how many allotments were available? There was plenty of info online about what to expect and when people were getting in line. It would be nice if they did some kind of ticketing or numbering in the future.

Abbbp likes this.
  22. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Defender (685) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Premium

It saddens a Prairie fan.

23. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (118) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts

You can certainly blame line cutters and their actions, but the brewery has some responsibility to create a sensible environment, which probably includes tickets to ensure that you have to be in line and proper line updates. It's just good business.

brock125, MLDucky and needMIbeer like this.
  24. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Aspirant (298) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Little late to the discussion, I know - but @Techichi is on point!

I stopped chasing Prairie beers in like, 2015 when they started price-gauging and everything by them started tasting the same.