Oktoberfest Style Gathering

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Sep 12, 2017.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (218) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Let's say you were going to an Oktoberfest style party or gathering. What styles would you want to see? Would you prefer beer with all different ABVs or beer with lower ABVs?

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  2. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (443) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

German styles of course... Festbier, Marzen, Helles... Those would be my top picks.

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,369) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Is this a trick question?

4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (725) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I think what you're talking about is a bier garden and/or the modern US tap room.

People sitting down at long tables, enjoying their own company and drinking beer.

In Germany they do this year round, and hold them outside if the weather cooperates. There's no specific style required. In fact, I think "Festbier" is simply a beer brewed for a festival, not necessarily an Oktoberfest or beer that is a low ABV.

They have one similar to Oktoberfest in fact, called "Starkbierzeit" (loosely translated to "strong beer festival") in which Doppelbocks are the drink of choice. Clearly not a session beer, or even one you'd necessarily want to drink 3 liters of (or physically could for that matter).

http://www.destination-munich.com/munich-strong-beer-festival.html

And then of course in today's modern US tap room the atmosphere may tend to be similar, but there's a wide variety of styles and ABV's consumed.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thank you. At least you thought outside of the box and contributed.

LuskusDelph and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  6. BeastOfTheNortheast

What about pumpkin since it's Fall (or will be) in PA? IPAs? AALs?

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  7. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Crusader (786) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

I know little about an authentic Oktoberfest but I have thrown a beer tasting fall party. First would be low abv if possible because my casual beer drinking friends can't handle there booze. A lot of variety because again my casual beer friends freak out over a dark beer and people just have different tastes. Had pumpkin beer because it was fall in NJ so it fit. Then,it was hokey but I served all pub food from wings to beer battered onoun rings.even had stout ice cream served in a miniature beer mug for dessert

VABA, dcotom and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  8. BeastOfTheNortheast

This is what I was looking for. Thank you! It is an Oktoberfest 'style' party as we put it, so this answer was right on what we are gearing towards. It is a get together, but around 5-6 people are craft beer guys. I was thinking of getting 6-8 different 6 packs with a few special beers mixed in. I figure there will be people there who also just want a beer or 2 as well. I have 2 different pumpkins, a doppelbock, and an IPA so far.

9. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (917) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I would agree with the German style theme, but, in reality, ANY theme would be good. The problem with picking other seasonal themes outside of the German one is that not everyone likes pumpkin beers or fresh hopped beers, so it just seems like the German theme gives you the most variety and you don't have to JUST serve festbier. You can bring in all German styles and "get away with it".

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thank you for this. I have 2 pumpkins, a doppelbock, and an IPA. I can drop the IPA. I do want to keep the pumpkins because I know some people coming are looking forward to them. Some people coming, if not most, are bringing something pumpkin related too.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (917) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

People will certainly go with the theme. If you've ever been to a Hofbrauhaus, either in Munich or in the States, you'll see people drinking liters of beer that they probably otherwise wouldn't because they are in a cool place.

As far as the 5 - 6 craft beer guys go, you can buy "special" stuff for yourself and them that you're not planning on serving to everyone else. Not that you're being exclusionary, as if they'd ask you'd let them have a taste, but they could be things that are just out of a non-beer-geek's wheelhouse, but things you and your friends would be interested in.

12. HoppingMadMonk

@BeastOfTheNortheast sounds like a great get togethor already. That's just what we (my wife and i) pumpkin,bock,ipas , as well as some well known German beer. Good luck with the party. Be sure to come back and post pics

VABA and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  13. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (491) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

When ever I'm hosting a party I make sure to have Allagash White or Sixpoint Crisp available as a choice for the 'non craft' (think BUD) beer drinkers. Always a hit...and always completely gone.

14. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,047) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

The trouble is, you stated "Oktoberfest style party," which brings to mind large mugs of Festbier, roast chicken and sausages with a lot of singing.

A Fall Festival sounds like a closer theme for the party you've already half-planned. Pumpkin Beer would never be found at a true Oktoberfest.

15. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (443) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

That was my thought exactly...

LuskusDelph, steveh and TongoRad like this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,369) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Yeah, just razzing you a little @BeastOfTheNortheast . An Oktoberfest is just one of those things that has quite specific connotations.

17. HoppingMadMonk

I wonder if all the holidays we celebrate here in the states(cinco de mayo and a few others come to mind) are carbon copys of how they are done in their homeland. Your in the states,throw a fall/oktoberfest/kwanza/Tom Kippur party

VABA and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  18. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,047) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I think I went to school with Tom. :grin: