Old Beer in Nashville

Discussion in 'South' started by marcopolo, Jun 8, 2013.

1. sommersb

sommersb May 25, 2010 Tennessee
    Subscriber

Back to the issue with old beer -- it is frustrating. I visited 2 shops today in Nashville and looked at buying an Abita S.O.S. Both had the same batch for sale, with an expiration date of March of this year; about 3 months past due. My preference would be that stores pull these beers and not even sell them, but they could at least do something like put them on a reduced rack so you know right away what you're getting into. Of course, its even more of a shot in the dark when you see beers with no dating... :p

2. deviercw

deviercw Feb 7, 2012 Tennessee

marcopolo,
    My name is Ryan Dankowski and I work at Craft Brewed on the high gravity side. I'm sorry you had a bad experience here, and we want to resolve the situation. We at Craft Brewed appreciate and take seriously any constructive criticism we receive. We are beer advocates to the fullest extent. We are all homebrewers (one who has produced commercially). Our team opened shop because we are enthusiasts and want to do our part to further craft beer for the state of Tennessee. We agree TN is behind when it comes to craft beer but that is changing more rapidly than ever.
    Regrettably, this is the first instance of someone buying "bad beer" at Craft Brewed. As you mentioned, our staff is nice and we try to assist in anyway possible. Should anyone ever bring to our attention any issues, we will try to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. We do care about our products, customers, and reputation. Ultimately, it is our responsibility to ensure the freshness of our products, however, it is also shared with the distributor. Unfortunately, shipping beer from the west coast takes time and may not get here as quickly as we may like.

While most beers have dates on them, that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad beers or past their prime after that date. We view products' date codes as guidelines because some companies don't put dates on their packaging and other brews may be intended to age for certain amounts of time. You brought up Sierra Nevada Celebration and Stone Ruination IPA... Sierra Nevada's website has a few things to say about this subject specifically and here's their quote: "Celebration Ale is brewed and dry hopped with freshly harvested hops that contribute exceptional aromatic qualities. However, some people prefer it slightly aged: when the hops mellow, bitterness subsides and the malt sweetness comes forward." With that being said, we will gladly exchange/refund the other bottles of Ruination IPA you may have leftover.
    We encourage you to focus your frustration constructively towards the TN liquor and beer law reformations and not towards those who are trying to help spread awareness of what craft beer/wine/spirits really means to Tennessee as a whole. The "Fix the Beer Tax" campaign was a success because of countless people that put in countless hours trying better our state. Collectively, we can keep this success going if we all work together.
    We would like for you to come in so we can chat face to face so we can get this cleared up personally.
    Cheers,
    Ryan Dankowski

3. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Oct 5, 2009 Luxembourg

Your post is too long to quote, but deviercw, that's what I call customer service.

deviercw likes this.
  4. Volntitan

Volntitan May 18, 2008 Tennessee

I was just about to ask if the OP took the beer back to Craft Brewed instead of hoping on here and complaining. I haven't been to Craft Brewed, but have met some of the guys, including Ryan, at tastings and I have zero doubt that they would have helped rectify the situation.

I will say as a native Tennessean that it does get a bit tiring to hear people that have moved here talk about how "backwards" we are and how much they dislike living here. At the risk at being rude, there are 3 major interstates leading out of Nashville. Nashville has it's pluses and minuses, just like any city, and I think it is pretty good place to live. I have family in Michigan (will be visiting next week) and it is a great state, but anyone seriously thinking that everything up there is shangrala is just fooling themselves. As far as beer goes, it isn't perfect for sure, but there are strides to make it better. All the people complaining, have you contacted your local reps or attended any of the rallys? That is the best thing you can do. And also...get out more. There are far more than 3-4 beers worth drinking from local breweries. Blackstone has a number of changing offerings that are great. Jackalope, after a rough start, has put out some fine brews. Cool Springs Brewery and Turtle Anarchy are putting out great stuff...not to mention Calf Killer. Plus 3 very promising breweries, Black Abby, Tennessee Beer Works and Harpeth, are all opening in the near future. When I first got into craft beer, I fell into the whole "our beer sucks", but then I realized there are plenty of great beers we can get here and the ones I can't, that makes tastings and traveling that much better. If we could get everything, that would get boring.

ImperatorScab and sommersb like this.
  5. fsvan

fsvan Feb 7, 2009 Tennessee

I don't recall anyone calling Tennessee 'backwoods' on here or saying they wanted to move because of the beer situation. Just a little on the touchy side, aren't we?

CaptainPiret likes this.
  6. rundownhouse

rundownhouse Sep 15, 2005 Tennessee

That took like two seconds to find. I was planning on using google to search the forums for TN and "backwards," but I won't even bother after how quickly that came up.

7. fsvan

fsvan Feb 7, 2009 Tennessee

Shit, my bad then. I didn't recall that...

8. Volntitan

Volntitan May 18, 2008 Tennessee

And....scene.

9. mcmeador

mcmeador Sep 2, 2012 Mississippi

You may have a high sales tax, but you also don't have an income tax. Be grateful for that.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe