Old Beer That's New to the Shelf

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by officerbill, May 14, 2019.

1. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (345) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

In another thread I mentioned that my grocery started stocking Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Some members assured me it was worth the price ($36/4 pack) and convinced me to give it a try.
    Remember, this beer is brand new to the store and was put on the shelf (3 4-packs & 12 singles) on May 6, 7, or 8.
    [​IMG]
    In case you can't make it out it says "bottled on 12/14/17" so this beer is already 1 1/2 years old before making it to retail.

Many of the reviews say 120 Minute improves with age so I'll still give it a go.
    Just thought I'd add to the list of freshness threads and remind folks to check the date even on new stock.

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,826) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Probably better than fresh, which I experienced many years ago. I'm most likely in the minority saying that.

3. officerbill

Society

I've never tasted it before, but some of the reviews say that it mellows and becomes more well rounded with age.

cavedave, scootercrabb and Bitterbill like this.
  4. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (720) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

interesting.....my bottles are etched not printed....they are also 6-7 years old..........they do change with age......fresh on tap was my favorite I think.......wish I could find more Higher Math on the shelf....that beer is great with age on it.......

Enjoy

beergorrilla and Dragginballs76 like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,826) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I tried checking out my review but I don't see it. MIA, I reckon; I know that I got it in my very early trades. I remember mentioning that it was near undrinkable when drinkability was a rating before overall showed up.

cavedave, officerbill and SFACRKnight like this.
  6. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,089) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Some folks like it fresh...I think the sweet spot is in the 4 to 5 year range...last year I did a side by side with 1,5, and 10 years bottles and posted the verdict on WBAYDN. The 10 year held up amazingly well with very little oxidation and tasted great. Onward Science - Cheers and enjoy your 120s whatever their age!

bl00, cavedave, GuyFawkes and 7 others like this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (598) Mar 28, 2009 California

Fresh or aged I don’t think it’s worth the price. It would be worth a single if you haven’t had it. I’ve only had it fresh and liked it. Super aggressive but in a good way. But for me at the $9 a 12oz there are a lot more beers I would rather have. However, I am not a big spender when it comes to special releases.

For this particular beer I can see DFH releasing some vintage 120 to distributors since it still drinks well with some age.

#7 GetMeAnIPA, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    GormBrewhouse, Ranbot and PapaGoose03 like this.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,349) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

It's ok. I'd never buy a 4x, and I would be pissed if it was almost 2 years old when I bought it. It's a big ass barleywine, nothing special. I can get 6 packs of hog heaven or lawyers guns and money for less than that.

9. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,457) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I completely agree, I had only had bottles until a year or so ago we were in Pennsylvania somewhere for work and found it on draft it was amazing. I am not a fan of it fresh from the bottle, a couple years is the sweet spot for me but I am so glad the waitress convinced me to try a draft pour.

10. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,118) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

To your point... that's ridiculous...a year and a half old? Whether the beer is better or worse doesn't matter... that should be YOUR decision. I picked up some new to the area Samuel Smith Organic Lager yesterday assuming it was reasonably fresh and not understanding that cryptic bottling code of theirs..... bottled October of last year...brand new beers to the shelves...not anywhere close to being as old as that 120 but...its still ok but really would have been nice to have had it fresh since it's a BRAND NEW beer to the area... first world problems I know

bl00 and GuyFawkes like this.
  11. officerbill

Society

I bought the $10 single. That way I'm not out too much of it off I don't like it.

12. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,064) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Two weeks ago I got 2 cases dated 9/14/18. I know they weren't sitting in the distro warehouse since the last drop.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Was it 120 minute?

14. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,064) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Yes it is.

15. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (121) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Higher Math was one of their best, hope it makes a comeback for sure.

BrewsOverHoes and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I have had a bunch of fresh 120 and aged 120 and I enjoy the aged stuff better. Both are good but the aged takes off the heat a little. I would still buy one pack or a few bottles.
    It is sad though that they place this out with that age on it, tells me they bought up a lot of old stock from guys looking to offload. Sadly this is no way to bring beer to an area.

DoctorZombies and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

What sucks is they are bringing a new brand to your area and stock with older stuff. They are dumb in my view because it makes folks angry. If your in a new location give them fresh to win them over to the brand, least my views.
    I would still drink but I have had many of them so nothing big for me.
    Cheers

bl00 likes this.
  18. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (454) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Like you said- its a triple IPA aka a hoppy barley wine labeled as an IPA, but once you age it then it turns into a barley wine. Decent stuff but plenty more options out there

19. SFACRKnight

Trader

Oh no you didn't just go there did you?
    :grimacing:

20. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,307) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

IPAs do not turn into Barleywines. There is no transmogrification machine involved.

21. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,519) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

OP, just wondering, is DFH distribution new to your area or just finally seeing the 120min in distribution? If DFH overall is new, I'd be curious to see 60 and 90 min dates. Those really need to be pretty fresh to be enjoyable.

22. bubseymour

Trader

Jackie O's just started distributing to my parts of MD within the last month or so. A few of their pale ales & IPAs are showing up. Luckily they are pretty fresh (6-8 weeks old if I recalled). I bought them and thought they tasted quite good. Sometimes we get lucky. Took me close to a a year with Cigar City in the area and finally found some Jai Alai < 8 weeks old (it was 4 weeks old).

23. ManBearPat

:rolling_eyes:
    * American barley wine

SFACRKnight and GuyFawkes like this.
  24. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,021) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Dear god, I thought I was skimming a thread from 2012 there for a minute...

To the OP's point, yes the 120 gets better after about 8-10 months, and if it's never been on the shelf before than perhaps the douchebag distro salesman pawned it off on them after the douchebag distro completed a wall to wall, finding old beer they had to either toss or peddle. Been party to that is why I suggest.

officerbill and beertunes like this.
  25. beertunes

Trader

American Barleywines are just over hopped Barleywines. However, they are never IPAs.

IPAs do not become IPAs because they used to be Barleywines.

26. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (543) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

It's perfect.

Enjoy

27. ManBearPat

Agree to disagree.. hopefully you figure it out some day

Bitterbill and GuyFawkes like this.
  28. beertunes

Trader

Same back at ya.

Just more.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,260) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society

For me,
    DFH 120 Min.'s sweet spot is 3 years, 2 months, 1 week.
    Best I ever had.
    Fresh was just too much pain.
    Cheers!

officerbill, beertunes and JayWhitson like this.
  30. SFACRKnight

Trader

Excapt in the case of Avery hog heaven which used to be a dryhopped barleywine and has been rebranded as a red ipa.

31. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You'd think that if a brewer is "cellaring" bottled beer in cases with the intention of shipping it year(s) later, they'd add a sticker or something to note the "vintage" aspect of the beer (and probably jack up the price, too).

More likely, as @gopens44 noted above, it was the local distributor who "found" the old beer in the their warehouse. Although, with decades of experience of going through retailers' floor and backroom stock, could have been the retailer, too.

(I once found a case of beer in an oversized plain white cardboard box with just "19.95" handwritten on it, on the bottom of a stack of other cases. "Gee, what's that?" I wondered, since the box wasn't branded. Slide the 5 or 6 cases off it, popped it opened and found it contained 4 boxes of mixed vintage of Thomas Hardy's Ale. "Whoa!" Probably a couple of years old already since being put together. When I tried to pick it up to take to the register, the box was "glued" to the floor after years of the floor-waxer bumping into and going around the case - so I peeled it off the floor, using my Swiss Army knife where needed, and carried it from the bottom. The cashier had no idea what it was, the manager shrugged, and I was changed that $19.95 price (which was likely the 6 pack price).

32. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Sorry to hear that. Don't worry, in another couple of years it will be ready to drink.
    I don't enjoy it fresh, but with some years on it, mmmmmm. Guess I'm in the minority as well.

readyski likes this.
  33. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (550) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

To give you some perspective, my wife who really dislikes IPAs thinks the fresh 120 minute is "pretty good" but goes bonkers over a bottle 2 years old or greater. Same effect as Lagunitas Brown Shugga, too bitter for her at the start but get a few years of age on it and she gets to taste those great malts.

34. ManBearPat

Is she a fan of American barley wine?

35. officerbill

Society

DFH had been here for years. 60, 90, perfect disguise, namaste, dragons, and Palo Santo are widely available (I think I saw dragons at one place). The 60 is around $10-$11 a 6 pack and seem to turn over quickly, the 90 is about $14; I've never checked the dates on either one.

The case of 120 Minute in my grocery is the first I've seen in any store around here. TBH I don't understand why they have it. This is the only 12 oz single they sell ($10) and the 4 pack is literally twice the price of the next highest 4 pack.

36. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (550) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

No, only English barleywine...the American barleywines are too bitter for her. What she likes is to SMELL my fresh IPAs and then will say "I wish it tasted as well as it smells." Especially for the aged 120 minute, the nose is of a super-aggressively hopped beer, but then you get a "ghost" of hop flavor without the bitterness.

ManBearPat likes this.
  37. bubseymour

Trader

All of the DFH "big beers" (120min, WWS, D'Extra, Fort, Higher Math etc) usually go for about $10 a single bottle or $35-$40 a 4 pack, but they all in the 15-20% ABV range so its kinda reasonable for the "sophisticated drunk" (or sharing with friends). Your area stores never carried any of their big beers, but all the others? That is pretty odd.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,937) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

We have a 15 abv cap here, but I’d give a single a shot though.

BeardedWalrus and Bitterbill like this.
  39. not2quick

not2quick Devotee (411) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I've always wanted to try a SUPER fresh 120. Closest I've gotten was about 5 weeks or so. I solo domed that one and it did me in. I have liked them with age but I've always shared with others. I'm very particular when it comes to triple ipa's, but then again most of those are "only" in the <12% range.

120min is a 8ft, 2 ton beast man that showers in grain alcohol and feeds it's baby shrimp scampi.

40. officerbill

Society

Even our local "beer only" store never stocked those. The most expensive 4 pack I had seen anywhere around here was $28 and the most expensive 12 oz was $8; there just isn't a market at that price point around here and the next most expensive 4 pack in this store is $18 (1/2 the price).