Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Old Brooklyn Lager

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tjwarren, Nov 3, 2016.

1. tjwarren

tjwarren Disciple (341) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

Brooklyn Lager has long been a favorite of mine, especially before I really got deep into craft. I am an absolute nerd about bottling dates but recently made what I thought to be the mistake of buying some shelf turds of BL that were over a year old because I got excited about finding in the pint cans that I used to treasure. I expected a bad beer but what I got I liked even more that the fresh stuff. Anybody had that experience with BL? Now I will be on the look out for something past their best by dates.

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (771) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Brooklyn Lager is one of my top 10 beers but I find it hard to believe that it ages well.

utopiajane and beerluvr like this.
  3. zid

zid Champion (847) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Try a blind side-by-side with the old cans and some fresh beer to see if you maintain that preference.

mikeinportc, Ranbot, Tilley4 and 2 others like this.
  4. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (394) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's pretty damn delicious along with brooklyn brown. great low abv beers

mikeinportc, Ranbot and dennis3951 like this.
  5. tjwarren

Good suggestion except all the old cans are gone.

6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (656) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Two questions...

Did you buy them KNOWING they were over a year old, or did you get so excited when you saw the pint cans, that you bought them and later found out they were old?

Were they refrigerated? Refrigerated cans can (see what I did there) last a lot longer than bottles on a shelf.

7. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (967) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Nice ! Just dropping in to say it's nice to see BL getting some love . . . just had a pint yesterday BTW.

TongoRad and Caveworm like this.
  8. tjwarren

To be honest I had a brain cramp and didn't realize it said Jan 2016 not 2017. Not cold sitting on a shelf.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,288) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Well, that shouldn't be too hard ... (and not just for Brooklyn products, either).

10. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (183) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I've had a year old Lager not too long ago (what we called it in Williamsburg long ago when it was the local craft beer) and it didn't hold up.
    Anyway I'd rather have a Boston Lager if I had to choose. Maybe its time to have a fresh Brooklyn lager and check.
    I really enjoy Brooklyn Brown and buy it regularly though.

11. tjwarren

I took your suggestion tonight with a fresh bottle. While I enjoyed the fresh bottle the bottle that was best by July 2016 was unquestionably better.

mikeinportc likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.