Old Firestone Walker bottles everywhere

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by n2185, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Devotee (415) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

This really doesn't affect Pliny either way, IMO, because Pliny doesn't work through distribution. People forget that sometimes a pallet of beer could sit in a regional warehouse for 2-3 weeks before it even hits a retailer. So, you are looking at 45 day old beer by the time it hits the shelf. That is why you see all of the WC breweries opening up a satellite brewery on the EC or MW.

2. beernazi

beernazi Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

i bought a wookey jack just 2 weeks ago bottled on 6/26, it said consume within 120 days, luckily i noticed it before i opened it and took it back, when i went to grab another, they were all passed the enjoy by date

creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I don't usually drink their standard beers, I just wish their limited release stuff made it to my area at all. I got DBA once, never seen Parabola, missed Sucaba (only one store had it, 6 bottles), Velvet Merkin was a myth, and even though I managed to get XVII last year XVIII is nowhere to be found this year.
    I've heard stories of other areas where even Parabola sits on shelves...if only.

4. Crackerbarrel

Crackerbarrel Initiate (164) Feb 10, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Its only been recently that I was finally able to taste a "fresh" ipa from FW. I see bottles everywhere here in NYC but its always embarassingly old.

I hunkered down and found a good 3 spots that will have bottles just under 2 months old (best I can get). Good God now I finally understand the fuss about Union Jack, I dont have enough good things to say about it.

breadwinner and Phigg1102 like this.
  5. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Champion (817) Sep 29, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

My local bodega in Northern Manhatten usually has less than 2 month old Union Jack. I bought some last night dated 10/30. I work hard to make sure they constantly go through it as quick as possible!

6. Chuck_IPA_Mathus

Chuck_IPA_Mathus Disciple (306) Oct 29, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That is illegal by the contract they were "supposed" to make with distributors of stone... I read an article once that said the stores were supposed to pull the enjoy by the date it goes off... HMMM???!!! maybe that article wasnt true

7. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (475) Mar 5, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm a big Firestone Walker fan, but agree with many others on here, locally it seems they are always month old on the shelf so I haven't purchased 6 packs of their pales / IPAs. My guess if I was in Cali this would be regular brew for me during summer

8. patrick8022

patrick8022 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Vermont

I would be happy to take some of that old firestone here in Vermont.

9. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (346) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Other than Enjoy By, the kegging/ enjoy by date of what you'll get isn't advertised when you're setting up an order, other than assuming new seasonals will be fresh. I guess if you were a hawk you could reject stuff at receiving after taking a peek but, that would make the rep/driver LOVE you.

My point was that kegged beer doesn't really degrade, IME. IIPAs/ G'Knight / MAine beer Co, all taste like the freshest bottle ever, everytime. We saved a bcbbw 1/6 for 9 months and it was still as hot, and great, as the kegs we ran when we got them the previous december.

10. something_is_brewing

something_is_brewing Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2014 Massachusetts

the reason you guys are seeing 6 moth old product is because you are too obsessed with dates to buy the 2 month old stuff! Its your own damn fault. Double Jack holds up pretty darn well when treated properly. Also, if I am not mistaken FW distributors ship and store the beer cold, and that makes a huge difference. If your local just happens to suck at life, find a new local!

11. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (573) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Let me know if ya find any FW 13 or FW 14 on the shelf.

crob3888 likes this.
  12. jroberts8811

jroberts8811 Disciple (344) Jan 19, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Not true. MO distro puts it out 3 mos + post bottling. Disappointing local problem in KC.

13. something_is_brewing

something_is_brewing Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2014 Massachusetts

then they are buying too much at once, and should be shot. It doesn't help that nobody buys it at 3 months because it is still in code till 120 days if am not mistaken

14. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Amazing! I've been wanting to try this one, and that Joe Canal's is my go-to. Good research scientist. I think I'll pick some up soon.

15. jroberts8811

jroberts8811 Disciple (344) Jan 19, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I remember the good day when wookey Jack hit in 4 packs - new packaging, old product. Sad times.

16. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (370) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

I'm drinking a 10-30-14 Double Jack right now and I think these hold up well for at least two months. My preferred bottle store, Grapevine in Denver, probably got these in late November and has stored the cases cold since then. They're running a sale on all FW so these are 9.99 a 4 pack all month; and I've kept mine cold since purchase. Been thru two cases so far with a third to go. So with that caveat, I don't think these fall off as fast as, say, Sucks.

17. TheBeerbarian

TheBeerbarian Disciple (307) May 29, 2014 California

Just about every sixpack from Firestone Walker and Stone @ the bevmo on Foothill Blvd in Pasadena were past their "best by" dates .... buyers beware.

18. 1424IpA

1424IpA Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

If only you had a venue to trade for such beers...

19. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (790) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Can Firestone Walker just open a brewery in the Midwest or East already, even if it just produces their hoppy stuff, I would be happy. It seems to be working well for Lagunitas.

20. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Aspirant (220) Nov 27, 2013 Connecticut

I can't believe shops are nervous about pissing off distributors by refusing old beer. Imagine your chain supermarkets allowing bread vendors to deliver 3-day old bread.....

chrismattlin likes this.
  21. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (825) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

That may seem why Sierra Nevada et al are opening but it is more for distro. 55% of SN output is SNPA alone. Driving beer 3000 miles across the country is expensive. Freshness will be a bonus but the hopheads on this site checking date codes represents a fairly small percentage of who is buying what pays the bills for these folks.

I for one am excited they are all getting closer to or in NC!!!!

22. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Aspirant (220) Nov 27, 2013 Connecticut

Ultimately, that secondary freshness benefit may prove to be more beneficial to the company than initially anticipated.

My one and only experience with Torpedo was a 6mo old 4pk that tasted like crap. Ended up being a drain pour. Maybe it was the beer....or maybe it was the age of the beer. I'll never know....and neither will SN

23. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,239) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

In my experience, the old bottle problem is also prevalent in California, particularly Southern California. It's a systemic problem that seems to affect FSW more than other breweries that I've noticed.

24. daw311

daw311 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Virginia

I live in VA and my local shop has about 15 cases currently of Union Jack that is dated July sitting on shelves. When I alert an employee, they say wow I need to pull that. Of course it never gets pulled, they will just sell to those who don't know better.

25. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Devotee (415) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Sorry, I should have said, one of the reasons they are doing this is because of freshness. Obviously, shipping is one of the larger expenses in these situations, but you are referring to the 2nd largest craft beer company in the U.S.
    However, if you take a look at STONE, or Lagunitas, I think the freshness in their beer matters a ton. One of the reasons STONE pulled out of Wisconsin is because they had old beer everywhere, not because it was expensive to ship. They got fed up with the loyalty to local brands and bolted. When you think about it, it's absurd that Wisconsin doesn't get STONE.

26. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (825) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

Not sure why it would be considered "absurd" not to get Stone in Wi. Its about production and distribution. Look at good sized brewers not far from you--Founders and Bells--certainly not everywhere. Heard the same complaint from some west coasters about inability to get some of the Founders rarities but bottom line is those go where the big distro goes and for now that is predominantly midwest and east coast (with Az an exception). Don't see a lot of Oregon stuff in NC and that's ok. In addition, it has to be worth the breweries money to get a lot there and THEN it has to move.

Freshness is important but it is a double edge sword. You have to move product fast for it to always be fresh. It can't be fresh if it gets there old but no matter how fresh it arrives, moving it is equally important.

#106 surfcaster, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  27. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm well aware of the trading forums, thank you, but it's a catch 22. You have to be able to get rare beers to trade for rare beers.

pjvie likes this.
  28. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,154) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia

Price point may have a bit of blame coming it's way as well. Union Jack sixers go for anywhere between $12.99 to $14.99 here depending on where you go. When faced with options that are fresher than 2 months old for several bucks less, guess what happens. So that's how we get 6 month old $14.99 FW shelf turds in my area. If I see it less than a month old (yes, possible due to the magic of tractor trailer movement) I will buy it at that price. Just doesn't make sense though if it's a few months old when I can get growlers of pretty darn satisfying fresh IPA's made locally.

29. solo103

solo103 Disciple (378) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Their probably experiencing this because of saturation issues in the market. There are a ton of killer breweries in Cali making world class beers especially hoppy ones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.