Old IPAs - What to do about this problem?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by joeyjoey104, Aug 4, 2015.

1. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

Try drinking another style of beer :slight_smile:

2. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,119) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Here is my review for Uinta West Coast Style IPA.
    "
    OK lets the fun begin.
    Pours surprisingly hazy orange for a "West Coast Style IPA"..very lovely thick and frothy half inch head
    Aroma is slightly off fruity, peaches/mango. But weirdly "eggy". More peaches. Some floral..no dank whatsoever.
    Taste is barely hoppy at all. Weak...out of date. Like a flabby pale ale. very disappointed..malty..in no way or form ( in this state a West Coast IPA.
    Mouth feel is OK is suppose..but whats the point.
    Bad beer. Even though it has a week to go before the 'best buy" its dead.
    Why do they distribute beers like Uinta which never sell well in Oregon..i see them fading away on the shelves..for months not moving in the big stored Freddys etc while great Oregon beers ..like Ex Novo etc are totally ignored.
    Something far wrong here."
    you get the picture out of state beers no one buys lay rotting on the shelves of Freddys, Safeway and the likes of Plaid Pantry..while great local Oregon beers never get a chance .
    What's the f88ckin point for distributers?
    It makes no sense..it was Golden Road and Goose island a year or two ago now those are mostly gone. When will distributers learn we don't drink out of date crap here!!!
    Even us supermarket shoppers like good beer.

3. NWer

NWer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

First world problem. My local Fred Meyer is crap also but so what? I pick up a beer there on rare occasions but Stogies and Hops and Whistle Stop are near by as is Central Market. I have plenty of places to spend my beer money.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  4. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (104) Jan 27, 2009 Maryland
    Trader

This is the main reason why I only buy IPAs directly from breweries now. It is too sensitive of a style to age and with the number of quality breweries producing great IPA, I have no reason to buy it off the shelf anymore. Lots of breweries that sell cans and bottles to distributers have probably seen a downturn in sales recently as a result. Drink fresh!

ChicagoJ, JackHorzempa and GreenBayBA like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,741) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It’s simple and it’s not, but the bottom line if you don’t like the canning date don’t buy it, your just perpetuating the problem. Now self distro might be as much a legal hurdle as anything depending on your state laws. I can always find super fresh ipas on the shelf but they’re from reasonably local brewers, so I tend to gravitate to those. Older ipas is a massive industry problem, that I really don’t see a solution to, once they’re sold to a distributor all bets are off. I’ve seen “fresh “ beer being stocked on the shelf that were already 6 months old, in some cases the distributor themselves stock the shelves in the stores. As long as it doesn’t exceed the best by date they can unload all kinds of crap on an unsuspecting store.

6. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (446) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

not sure why a 4 year old thread w 13 pages needs to be re-booted...especially this topic. unless you live in a very rural area -- this first world problem has numerous first world solutions in the shape of growlers, cans, crowlers and sixtels. Cheers

7. nc41

Society Trader

I think the beer market is changing right now, so it’s old but it’s relevant again, and there’s always newer BAs who come across a thread and bring it back to life. But in the last two years I’d guess the beer stores have done a 180, supply completely exceeded demand, beer retailers lost money. But the Crowlers and Growlers are nice but that doesn’t solve the distribution break from brewery to retailer to me.

8. chipawayboy

Trader

My point was don’t go to the liquor/grocery/beer store for your beer. Avoid the distribution problem altogether and become your own distributor....as many have suggested above.

nc41 likes this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

Funny enough the best beer store near me is a grocery store of all things, I can usually find it fresher than any beer store in Greensboro. They also have taps and growler fills go figure.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  10. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (157) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Those stores wouldn't exist if not for a need for them. Perhaps, because being one's own "distributor" isn't as simple or convenient as it sounds. Try hitting up a brewery after 10 on a Tuesday night looking for a nice afterwork take home beer. Good luck. Or watch how expensive driving from brewery to brewery (provided they aren't in your immediate area) just to pick up a few of whatever you went in for on whatever basis. Factor in the cost of your gas and time and that beer just got a lot more expensive for that avoiding stores concept altogether.

11. nc41

Society Trader

My favorite breweries are in Asheville, thats 4 hours one way. But the fact is the local grocery stores here really do compete with the most well known beer stores in Greensboro. Even down to the Bcbs and KBS stuff. Your right they fill a void, I DONT have to go to a beer store, but I do need to buy groceries. How perfect, and they have 6 rotating taps, with growler fills too.

Beer_Stan and BBThunderbolt like this.
  12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,177) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You'd prefer a new thread every time someone finds old, out-of-code beer?

How 'bout a daily "What old beer did you see or "accidentally" buy today? #2477" thread?

LuskusDelph, BJC, jazzyjeff13 and 4 others like this.
  13. chipawayboy

Trader

As I said - unless you live in a rural area - you should have access at this point (5k US brewers ?) to fresh brewed beer straight from the source. Take advantage of it. Boycott old beer. Cheers

14. chipawayboy

Trader

I was just kinda being an asshole. I wound Not prefer a daily thread on old beer that people are finding. I might be interested in one that flys into places w/ultra fresh beer...brewed and sold on premises.

15. Beer_Stan

Trader

This is what I was referring to and commenting on:
    In this comment there's no addendum for rural anything just a sentiment of avoiding stores altogether. Which, even in larger metropolitan areas, serve a purpose for the average and even most discerning of craft beer consumers who may not (for a variety of reasons) be able to get beer straight from the source in a way. I mentioned this as well in my previous comment about getting off of work late and the brewery is closed, or any other reasons a consumer might have for not being able to go straight to the source. Your "call" for a boycott is baseless and lacks consideration for those who might prefer the variety and convenience of getting what they chose to purchase how they chose to purchase it.

chimneyjim likes this.
  16. chipawayboy

Trader

Boycott comment was facetious. Dude all I’m saying is take advantage of all the new breweries out there. As Horace Greeley once said - go west young man !

17. Beer_Stan

Trader

Facetiousness aside I agree with you wholeheartedly. I try not to take the internet TOO seriously, sometimes I fail. Cheers

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,934) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dale, I too have seen this on multiple occasions. A deplorable situation IMO.

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72 and nc41 like this.
  19. nc41

Society Trader

It’s what happens when stores are content to let distributors set their inventory. I see it all the time here, there’s no one there to accept the delivery and check the dates. Imo it’s a lic to abuse by the distributors, they can quite likely move in older stock, as long as its not out of date. I stopped buying beer at TW, as I said I use the local grocery stores they seem more vigilant on this.

Reidrover likes this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

TW has a nice mix of 2018 pumpkin beers out right now, they want to get that mix going so when the 2019 arrive they can blend them in so fools purchase the old swill.
    I am almost at the point of local only or breweries I trust. Its become so annoying and honestly I am done allowing distro and stores to ruin my beer experience.
    I hope more and more folks vote with their cash and just go local for the next two years so the shelf turds can sit and age. Its amazing how scummy stores are when they try and pretend items are new or scratch off dates and play that game. Time to hit them in the pockets, the only way they listen.
    lol

ChicagoJ, nc41 and JackHorzempa like this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

This will be happening soon with the Oktoberfest beer. It is brewed in June and around Oct/Nov will be sitting on shelves 5-6 months old at that point. I enjoy grabbing them when the weather cools off but its becoming hard to do when I know they are old. I can get fresh local items that are seasonal and a week old, why buy 5-6 month old beer, to me it lost its intended flavors now just a old version of what it was.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Society

I am with you 100% here. I am fortunate that I have a number of locally brewed Oktoberfest beers (e.g., Sly Fox, Stoudts, Workhorse,...) that are of very high quality and those beers are not brewed/packed in the spring but instead the end of August/beginning of September. Just as you stated it: why drink Oktoberfest beers during the season that were brewed/packaged many months prior? Drink freshly brewed local versions instead.

There are a number of ongoing threads where folks are discussing the Oktoberfest beers they are buying and drinking now. In contrast I will not be drinking Oktoberfest beers during the 'dog days' of summer (August) but will await September when it is cooler.

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  23. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,746) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

One thing I'm unclear on with oktoberfest specifically, is the brewed on date the date of the boil essentially? and if so, isn't there supposed to be a several month lager period after that brewing date? So wouldn't the 'freshest' you would see any lager style be at least a few months after brewing?

LuskusDelph likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Society

Every brewery will have their own unique 'solution' here but it is not unusual for larger scale lager breweries to lager their beers for a duration of weeks (e.g., 3-4 weeks). Time in the tank = money and once the beer has achieved the brewery's goal for lagering (e.g., protein/polyphenol complexes settle out, yeast 'cleans up' unwanted fermentation byproducts (e.g., acetaldehyde), etc.) it is time to package and free up those lagering tanks for the next production run.

Once an Oktoberfest lager beer is packaged the beer will not improve with age; it will be a steady decline in beer quality thereafter.

Cheers!

25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,177) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

What brewer is using "Brewed on" dating? I've seen numerous BA posts claiming it, but have never seen a beer* with a date code that referred to the actual day the beer was brewed.

* Well, Samichlaus when brewed by Hurlimann used to claim it was brewed on December 6th (St. Nicholas Day), and I guess Schloss Eggenberg continued that tradition.

26. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

this is true, I think all the talk of 'brewed on' dates just had me confused. I have only ever seen packaged on and best by dates
    Also I guess it ties into people complaining that oktoberfest beers were brewed in April/May. If those beers are then lagered for a few months they would be 'fresh' sometime between June and August (assuming lagering for 2 or 3 months)

27. JackHorzempa

Society

For the case of German brewed Oktoberfest beers I refuse to purchase any beers that are not dated. Either with a packaged on date like
    Weihenstephaner or a best by date like Paulaner (which is 12 months - a travesty of a best by duration). Perhaps you can report on what dates you see. Last year I purchased a number of German brewed Oktoberfest beers and all of them were packaged in the spring. By the time the Oktoberfest season arrives (September/October) those beer were many months old (from packaging).

Cheers!

28. AZBeerDude72

I would have no issue if they put it out now but brewed new batches that came out in Sep/Oct. If folks want it now that is fine with me, I just hate when I have to drink stuff later than has been sitting on the floor for 5 months or in a hot warehouse. I had both fresh and old of the same and the fresh is so good the old just blah.

I know we all sound like broken records lol but man I love great tasting beer and am not sure why some just say who cares, seems weird to me.

Cheers

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

I am with you here!

Last year I really wanted to purchase the Sierra Nevada collaboratively brewed Oktoberfest but all of my local beer retailers only had available for purchase were beers packaged in July. It would appear that the local Sierra Nevada Wholesale Distributor (Origlio) got one HUGE dump of this beer (because of a volume buy discount?) and those were the beers available for retail even in November. The principle beer retailer in PA is called a Beer Distributor (I label them as Retail Beer Distributors in BA threads) and most of the time these are large warehouse buildings which are not air conditioned. PA is not quite as hot as Arizona but right now my local Retail Beer Distributor's temperature is in the 80's. I do not think they have Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest beers yet (maybe arriving sometime next week?) but those beers will have 'baked' for several weeks during the month of August. A not good situation.

If I can find a Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest beer this year that was packaged in September I will buy a 6-pack (or two). If I have the same luck as last year this will be another year where I did not purchase this beer.

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I'll take a look when I see them show up, I tend not to buy much packaged oktoberfest because I'm pretty well sated in my desire for the style with a 6 or 12 pack of SN and a couple rounds of stuff on draft. I also have the same experience as many with european imports, they are months from packaging and priced at a premium

31. nc41

Society Trader

The only thing I buy from TW is AALs, just because these don’t sit and they’re the cheapest. Imo their craft stuff is an afterthought and probably more of a pain in the ass vs profits.

JackHorzempa and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

Society

You highlighted that the AALs are the cheapest, this means that while TW may have good volume (revenue) here but they likely have small margins and therefore not the greatest in terms of profit. In contrast craft beers command larger margins (profit per item) but needless to say a lower rate of sales.

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  33. nc41

Society Trader

I’m sure that’s true, if truly craft beer was an important staple in the revenue machine they’d certainly take better care. The aisle on mixers, olives, box wines are almost half of what they allocate to craft beers. Imo they’re primarily a wine and aal beer store, the craft stuff they suffer and have to offer.